It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Filipino Monkey' Hoaxer May Be Behind Radio Threats to US Warships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

'Filipino Monkey' Hoaxer May Be Behind Radio Threats to US Warships

www.navytimes.com

The threatening radio transmission heard at the end of a video showing harassing maneuvers by Iranian patrol boats in the Strait of Hormuz may have come from a locally famous heckler known among ship drivers as the “Filipino Monkey.”

In recent years, American ships operating in the Middle East have had to contend with a mysterious but profane voice known by the ethnically insulting handle of “Filipino Monkey,” likely more than one person, who listens in on ship-to-ship radio traffic and then
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
So this major international incident was apparently perpetrated by a radio prankster.

More from the Navy Times article:

Rick Hoffman, a retired captain who commanded the cruiser Hue City and spent many of his 17 years at sea in the Gulf was subject to the renegade radio talker repeatedly, often without pause during the so-called “Tanker Wars” of the late 1980s.

“For 25 years there’s been this mythical guy out there who, hour after hour, shouts obscenities and threats,” he said. “He could be tied up pierside somewhere or he could be on the bridge of a merchant ship.”

And the Monkey has stamina.

“He used to go all night long. The guy is crazy,” he said. “But who knows how many Filipino Monkeys there are? Could it have been a spurious transmission? Absolutely.”

Iran is quickly slipping into tragicomic farce.

www.navytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I can see the headlines now. "Filipino Monkey Opens Seventh Seal. WWIII Has Begun!" Now wouldn't that be some s--t? We all get wiped out because of... oh no. Flashback. The Army of the 12 Monkeys! They said there might be more than one!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So it was a troll who almost caused WW3? Oh my God!

No one is safe from them.

At least the Navy is admitting the possibility.

Indeed, the voice in the audio sounds different from the one belonging to an Iranian officer shown speaking to the cruiser Port Royal over a radio from a small open boat in the video released by Iranian authorities.

Question: Isn't there any way to triangulate the source of transmission? Or is it not available now after the fact?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It was my observation that the Iranian fast boats acted in a threatening manner, exacerbated by a voice that might have or might not have originated from the Iranian fast boats.

Had the boats not been acting in a threatening manner, the voice transmission would not have been associated with an actual threat, as vessels operating in that region are aware of the phenomenon.

Iranian fast boats should not buzz American warships in open waters.

Given the outcome of the USS Cole incident, US Naval commanders are not likely to have much patience with joyriding Iranians.

[edit on 2008/1/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Probably not after the fact, but this character has been doing this since Saddam and the Taliban were our allies! I think they might want to try to get a fix on that siganal next time.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
aight i'll have to post in here in order to clarify that the voice heard over the radio did not necessarily come from a "Filipino" monkey. here's an interesting read:

Filipino Monkey

The most popular phrase used by these people is "Filipino Monkey", said by salty old seafarers to have started out as an insult against Filipinos but now just meaning "I'm bored and want to piss a lot of watchstanders off".

with that said, i do concede that its possible that one of my brown-skinned brethren living and/or working in the various Arab states in the area might have been bored that day.

[edit on 1.12.08 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

In a way this is a step forward; we just learned from the NSA that there weren't even North Vietnamese boats in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Makes you almost grateful, Filipino Monkey or no.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Is there any chance that the US boats have more than just a simple receiver on bord? I really would think they could at least have an idea of weather the transmission was from something just off the bow, or miles away. Could simply be a case of checking the exact time the signel was received on a number of vessels - they all got GPS down to a meter or less, I imagine the sync time down to the millisecond, and log ever thing recieved automatically.... Or am I giving the American navy too much credit?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So a radio troll nearly led to the mother-of-all flame wars!

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours

But I think God's got a sick sense of humor

And when I die I expect to find Him laughing"

Depeche Mode | Blasphemous Rumours

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The radio transmissions were done on standard channels and I doubt you could pinpoint the source at all as easily as you can with a microwave-based system like a gps or portable phone.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
well, well .. (maybe) there is a monkey after all.

One case in point is another recent encounter between an Iranian gunboat and a merchant vessel near the Strait of Hormuz last month. When the gunboat challenged the vessel, demanding to know its destination, the Filipino Monkey broke in and replied: "I go to your mother's house. . . ."

to catch a monkey

[edit on 1.12.08 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Sure yep - but even still if you could get precise timings and locations (of the receivers) then you could triangulate...... well in my little world you could
erm I guess the speed of radio waves at a given freq is constant. The three bits of data needed are the precise locations, the precise timings and the speed of the transmission.

It should be worth noting my knowledge of this sort of thing is rudimentary to say the least.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Ay Nako! ang maldito Pilipino unggoy? Ay dios ko! sa bahay ng mama ko? saba, pisting yawa animal ka, oi!!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
So.. umm.. did this monkey climb aboard the warship and turn off the video camera, then force the bridge officer to read a badly scripted reference to the fifth amendment (which would mean absolutely zip to anyone but an american), so he could reply in his best prank call voice "Yoooo rrrr gggoooiinnngg tooooo exxxppplloooooooddddeeee!! "?

This whole thing has been an exercise in CYA from the beginning. The patrol boats never harassed the warships and never dropped "white boxes" in their path. The audio from the US video states they were "two miles" behind the convoy and that's what you see on the video (tiny dots far away unless zoomed right in), and the Iranians have every right to be there and check ship movements, since it's a narrow shipping lane that's classed as International Waters but it runs right through THEIR territory.

What bothers me the most about this incident is that it's reminiscent of the reports of US road convoys in Iraq, shooting at any vehicle that approaches because of imagined threats. There was always an excuse for that too - driving too fast, ignored warnings, got too close - but eyewitness reports differ and often they were just unarmed average Joes or families trying to get through their day.

Luckily nobody got killed this time.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
HaHa! That's laughable. So This monkey prankster did it for fun? No way! I mean it, NO WAY. This sounds like the operation failed and now, when facing scrutiny, they want to project the fakery away from the U.S!

If this monkey-man exists, i bet he workes in the same office as the guy producing cellphone videos for Al-Qaida, drinking tetleys earl grey tea during breaks. With lime.

Seriously, what a croc!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Well when you watch the videos it's pathetic really. These huge warships are mortally threatened by a couple of speedboats, then we almost go to war by the taunts of the longest-running radio troll in history.

It's Looney Tunes meets Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And only highlights what sitting ducks the USN is in the Gulf.

apc

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
We used to do this stuff over cellular networks back in the 90s. Before everything went digital you could overpower the handset and talk on the transmit side of a conversation. You would only have a few seconds before the tower would see it was getting conflicting signals and kill the call, but if you kept your interruptions short you could keep the call alive and keep yourself entertained for at least ten minutes.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" ... "This is Commander Degoba." ... "I'm on-board MIR." ... "Our telescope is locked on to you." ... "Please proceed to disrobe."

So cheers to the Monkey(s) for keeping these past-times alive!

new topics

join