It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling someone a Canadian is the same as calling them the "N" Word

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

HOUSTON -- Assistant District Attorney Mike Trent tells FOX 26 his side of the story--why he used a "word" some say is a racial slur. FOX 26's Isiah Carey has the details.

Full Article

I would like to know how my Canadian friends feel about this? And by Canadian I mean those who are in C A N A D A, hahaha.

Your nationality is considered a racial slur to describe African Americans according to this.

Rants?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Also there is a racial slur database, I guess this is where they are making their claim its racist, thanks Artemisfowl for the linkage!

www.rsdb.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
According to the vid that I just watched, the word:CANADIAN is being SLANDERED in this way:

'Canadian Racial Meaning':

Racial Slur, Masked replacement for the 'N-word'

You've got to be freakin kidding me?!??!?!?!?!

That is the MOST DISGRACEFUL acronym that God ever put breath in.

This person in the video, NOW has to affront 2 sides.

International Bigotry, without 'just cause', as well as 'National predjudice (of same nature/stature).

We know that African Americans have fought long and hard against 'discriminatory causes'. I'm not even going to approach this subject at this time, as it is an 'on-going basis'.

WHOAHHHHHHHHHH..FULL STOP!!!! - to snidely insinuate or other means that CANADIANS can be 'attributed' to an archaic detromental termage...asscociated with an a highly accosted word, that bears no resemblance to such word, marks for a 'short candidate life-span'.

This will NOT BE tolerated.

The Audacity of it all.

How dare this person speak so 'un-highly' of another country, that has been a great and wonderful companion to the UNITED STATES thus far.

I'm extremely livid.

~Ducky~

[edit on 11-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"US Citizen" has it's own negative connotations elsewhere... this is more of the same. Can I sell you a little Canadian flag to sew on your backpack? It isn't an issue, we know who we are and who "you" are. Likely have people turning this into a comedy sketch right now...

Rick Mercer - Talking To Americans, Huckabee. Good day eh!

There's hundreds more...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 11-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well the racial slur database is even more strange if thats the word to use, common words I would never considered to be racist..

I mean Canadian Goose? They claim its a code word for Jews.

I understand where you are coming from though.

The American ones are just to describe Americans. American'ts for example.

So do you think he was really meaning it as a code for insulting blacks?

As for the database, I kinda feel whoever made this list was pulling a lot of it out of their ass, but I don't know not up on all the hipster racial slurs.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
"US Citizen" has it's own negative connotations elsewhere... this is more of the same. Can I sell you a little Canadian flag to sew on your backpack? It isn't an issue, we know who we are and who "you" are. Likely have people turning this into a comedy sketch right now...

Rick Mercer - Talking To Americans, Huckabee. Good day eh!

There's hundreds more...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 11-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

dear god I cant stop laughing!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I can honestly LAUGH at this vid!!!! Un-freakin-believable!

Can I put forth an 'honest question'?

How many AMERICANS believe that CANADA is a 'backwards nation'?

Seriously? Midst all the jokes about Crazy Canucks.

How many Americans believe that Canada is a 'Hick Nation'?

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
"How many Americans believe that Canada is a 'Hick Nation?", how about at Harvard? Dig the prof... about half way through.

There's better...

Vic

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well I am sure not every person he interviewed is on there, there is a process of editing I am sure, atleast I hope or man this place is really craptastic.

I love my family to the north.

You gave me kids in the hall for goodness sakes!

Plus I know a lot of really kick ass people from Canada.

I really don't see how anyone wouldnt view canada as a modern country.

But there are ignorant people on all the corners of the earth.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Lol, whats even funnier is the fact they cant admit when they do not know something instead of saying I'm not familiar with that if they truly don't know instead they just try to wing it in an attempt to look as if they know what theyre talking about, or should I say aboot?

human nature I suppose

Chilln' wit mah Canadians!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It's healthy to joke.

But I wonder If Americans REALLY know about Canadians.

What it means to be Canadian

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I tried to watch that video but the music was horrific to my ears.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
National Anthem:

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This doesn't really bother me. It's stupid, but whatever.

For Lysergic, special from Canada

For me, because I miss Jonovision

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

THANK YOU DUZEY!

thats classic comedy gold right there

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

TOO FUNNY DUZEY!

The firest vid talks about 'skishing ones head' within the peramiters of 1 inch!!!

The Second vid should have been about 'Jaimee Vision', not about 'Jon-o-vision.

The hitch-hikers guide to leaching upon one's friends transportation. Yeah....that sounds good.

Dang....ode to the youngster's travels...that sounds about right.

Great Vids Duzey!

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Glad you guys liked them.

*Warning - Canuck humour ahead*

Good thing this is BTS or I'd be off topic.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I just found an awesome Kids in the hall complete set save for 1 episode, its about 15 gigs.

My life is now complete.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Good one Duzey!

Okay...I have to include this vid:

I get knocked down...but I get up again.

~Ducky~

[edit on 11-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

You know Ducky and Lys', do they you/us need to know? They you'/us have enough on their plates. But thank D’ and L'. There’ s an 800 pound gorilla in the room that no one can afford to ignore. Glad at least the map in the vid is correct. Really one must see Canada… it’s pretty cool, we’re people from everywhere.

About “aboot”. Cough. Ah-hem, Wink. Shhh, it's a secret, or there aboots... keep it quiet right? OK. No one really says "aboot" except people from the sub-49th describing us and one of my best friends from the Highlands. Keep it on the QT. It's an inside joke... Radio-Canada started it on the English language Quebec service from a Rimouski broadcast centre... it was in an empty metal grain silo. It's just aboot an echo... I didn't say Danny Williams should be Prime Minister. Shhh. If you want the real aboot you need to be near the Prime Meridian. Aboot Laddy. Try Braemar. I'm flying to NFLD tomorrow... beautiful people, beautiful language... one day they’ll all come home from work at the same time and that’ll be a party. It is an island of sanity.

Anyone remember CKLW? AM? Black Day in July? Motor City madness? Anyone representing Tiger City. Historic stuff. Actually, US citizens are fine people same as any other. We all have troubles.

There are only uninformed people and different perspectives to explore and share those differences we have in common... me, you, everyone. It's not about nationality so much for me but more locality and local history. The Net is changing that in significant ways. Some good.

For instance, I don't necessarily find Rick Mercer all that funny anymore. He's from the Rock. He is smart and a smart-Alec. Too smart sometimes. Got a "Toronto-head." Bad-vibe. He's a bit rude to Americans in your own country. Disrespectful and exploitive. I’d cross-check him into the boards (triple entendre). LOL.

Honest. We aren't all like that all the time. He's not our funniest comedian anyway. Actually most of "your" comedians are ours anyway. It’s normal up here. You might want to take a look around at the media landscape... it’s changing.

The OP linked vid was a hit piece no question. Ambush journalism, it may have uncovered a truth well-known… and it will be gone in a news cycle or two. We don't have that as much up here... but we are losing the battles for our unique cultural heritages anyway... me? Fox is or was in Canada, the rest aren't any better. Canadian net is just as bad as any... and as good and sometimes better. After all we all have our neighbours to complain about and that’s a full-time global enterprise… that’s neighbours with a “U”. LOL.

I have difficulty with what to me seems to be a pervasive and blatant racism quotient accepted as normal by some standard I simply do not understand from another region. To assign buried context to words like "Canadian" is very... I don't know... becoming the antithesis of equality amongst citizens? Your citizens? Your citizens of all heritages? All citizens perhaps? Or perhaps of different degrees of value? At least it seems unsporting. Whatever eh, the trait is normalized. It's all a bit dog eats dog for my tastes... I like poutine and AIH and HNIC and The Hour and Ice Wine. To me it says nothing factual about Canadians at all, but maybe more factual about the US, specifically that one person within that locale. Watch, I’m going to do what he did, “American”. See it didn’t hurt that bad right? Depends where you’d live I’d expect.

In Canada under certain conditions it is against the law to use that sort of language that is only talked about in certain singular letter designations as mentioned and alluded to in the title. We all know what it stands for. They're called hate crime laws and I love 'em as a US citizen might choose to love and read their Constitution. A very good thing.

Poking fun at each other is all well and good and I do enjoy a good laugh but I was born too long ago or something. Values and normatives change. Funniest Americans? No question... Martin and Lewis for me… followed by Tommy and Dickie Smothers. Solo? 100% Pryor uncut. Hat trick. The funniest Canadian? Well... he's from Toronto, plays road hockey and he’s not Mike Myers.

It’s a secret… he’s Iranian-Canadian and works at Timmy’s. Crushing, crushing your head. BTW: We’ll give you warranty on the Norm MacDonald device please send him back we posted the recall notice but you guys don’t read what we write on the Health Canada site on lead contaminated toys. Guess who’s coming to dinner in Aurora? Snicker.

Bon Soir/Good Evening,

Vic

Kirk Classic…LOL. Don’t make me get out the Beachcombers. LOL.

36 days until Daytona... LOL.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join