It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
IF this statue were renamed Mohammed, the museum would have been leveled by now and the artist growing colder and colder in the county morgue. And THAT is the only reason I'm sure the artist did this...to totally outrage a community that knows well enough not to actually KILL him because of the horrible press it might generate.

Exactly. Let's dare this artist to make another piece of "just art" and name it "The phallus of Mohamed." It will go over beautifully. No? Of course not. Let's pick on the "wacko Christians" instead of insulting the "religion of peace." At least our children won't be beheaded while we're forced to watch. They won't go around shooting nuns, either. Christians it is, then. The artist isn't innovative or daring. He's a scared little weenie.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think most people are forgetting the mythology that surrounds the erect penis . . . from ancient times the erect phallus has been venerated as the source of creation in many different religions: from Greek and Roman nature worship to Shamanism to Hinduism and a plethora in between. People are so upset by this statue because they think that the Penis is disgusting and dirty and that fact can't really be argued with. If society and Christians in general had a more mature understanding of sexual anatomy and sex then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. At any rate, whether or not Jesus was a Man or a God or both I think it could be safely assumed that he did, at some point in his 33 years of life have an erection. It's not the artists intention that is what's most important here - it's how we view and interpret his work that is. And how we do regard this statue is very revealing about how we view ourselves.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg

Some art is created expressly to piss you off, to force an examination of why it is one finds something offensive.

And, unfortunately, some people just don't get it...

No, no no. We get it. We just think it's stupid.

The 'artist' made a statue with a Jesus penis. What a revolutionary. Our minds are blown. Our religious institutions are crumbling.

But it's just a stupid statue of Jesus with a penis. It's stupid...

It's dumb.
The end.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickedStar
I think most people are forgetting the mythology that surrounds the erect penis . . . from ancient times the erect phallus has been venerated as the source of creation in many different religions: from Greek and Roman nature worship to Shamanism to Hinduism and a plethora in between.

Great. Then slap that sucker on a statue of one of them. But I'm being facetious. No, it's not a matter that a penis or any part of the human anatomy is offensive. It's the intent behind it. No, I don't see this as being unintentional and harmless just like I don't think the "Urine Christ" is art either. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this would not be well received. Again, the artist has an open invitation to see how well this flies over with Mohamed. If he cannot stand by his "its just art" defense, then maybe this will give us some insight as to what his intentions are.

But we may appear more riled than we really are. It's not that this was done, it is the pretty obvious intention behind it.

No, no no. We get it. We just think it's stupid.

[edit on 1/12/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickedStar
If society and Christians in general had a more mature understanding of sexual anatomy and sex then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

No, we would. And we'd still be calling this a stupid shock-art attempt at shaking people up.

The erect penis IS a pagan symbol of power, hence the obelisk etc. Big whoop. It has nothing to do with Jesus Christ.

I mean seriously, if people want to believe this is groundbreaking art, please do
I think most of us have higher standards than slapping a weiner on a religious icon.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

OK, it's dumb...... If you say so.

Now the real question. Should it be on display in this gallery? Should it be removed because it offends some people?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Skyshow...best and most realistic point so far in this thread..
Finally someone else who is disgusted and pretty offended by the quite graphic image of a naked dead man, apparently and obviously tortured, hanging from a crucifix being held in place by huge spike driven through his limbs.

I see this nearly every day. Literally shoved in my face. Hanging around the necks of many ppl I see every day.

Hanging on walls in the homes of millions. Hanging in "public" places.

I try not to pay attention. Its alot easier when its just the shape of a cross. I try pretty hard to not bring up thier oblivious worship of torture and execution.

Growing up in a very strict Catholic family I learned to fear god.

Now in adult life I know not to fear god but to fear those who glorify histories greatest philosopher being tortured and executed in some of the most painful perverse and humiliating ways still yet to be concieved.

The really detailed and expensive crucifixes go to great extremes to depict every gory detail. The blood gushing out his hands and feet. Ive seen just about every horrendous expression of excruciating painful death oh so carefully carved into the face of Jesus. Head leaned back, dead eyes rolled back. Head to the side with dead sunken features hair matted wblood and so on...

I agree the statue in the article is offensive but its only offensive to me because its designed to be offensive.

But ask yourself, Jesus, a man, was anatomicaly correct as far as I know. I feel that the praising(not worship)of Jesus life on earth as mankinds greatest ever humanitarian immedietly was "hi jacked"by PTB to control the masses and so on twisting branching out from megalomaniac elitist to megalomaniac elitist so on and so forth blah blah blah

Never humanize Christ as GASP a MAN! Dont even humanize his atrociously grusome death as he rose from the dead right? You remember right? You were there right? Through his ahem...."virgin birth" his life all he ever did and when he died? He HAD to die that way to rise again right?
Because what? Thats right...he wasnt human. He was the son of god. He couldnt have had .....a...yknow...thing...

Had children? Impossible. The last thing that was important to JEWISH PRIESTS was to be men and have families.

This world is beyond sick...

god forbid all but say maybe 2 ppl get that no matter how "good" it is its still a corpse spiked to one of the worst ways to die imaginable or an simple cross shape that shows nothing more than the mega glorification of TORTURE and DEATH.

All glory on high to the electric chair...I mean...gallows...wait no...drawing and qaurtering..aha! The holy gore drenched guillitene!...no..in praise of acid baths and boiling oil!

praise Jesus....yes. I always will. One of the best examples of not only a MAN but HUMAN BEINGS in general along with being the greatest humanitarian and rightous philosopher ever to live.

Look at the world around you today. The events that happen...not all bad there are quite a few ppl that truly live his ideology and bring great benefit to the world...

But far more that dehumanize everything saying theyre devout Christians. Hey thats most of the world! Not just the 700 club led US.
Remember when Pat Robertson ran for president? What a holy devout follower of Jesus! Wed all been dead....

Rant fuel empty....must read how W said that god told him to invade Iraq again...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Since you don't seem to be noticing my question...

Why is it demeaning? Can anyone answer me this? I'm genuinely lost as to what makes this apparently so wildly offensive.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Since you don't seem to be noticing my question...

Why is it demeaning? Can anyone answer me this? I'm genuinely lost as to what makes this apparently so wildly offensive.

I love it when people ask this question. I just tell them. "Imagine your dad with an erection, then multiply the 'Eeeeeewww' factor by ten million.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Stop to consider:

Perhaps the "art" lies not exclusively in focusing on the stupid ugly statue but, additionally, in the examination of the nexus of causality in the anticipated reaction to the stupid ugly statue?

Hmmm?

Are we all, here on this thread, a part of this "art" simply by virtue of having been involved in a discussion of it's merit or lack thereof?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Toelint

and

reply to post by Toelint

reply to post by Rasobasi420

Whoa! Sorry for the confusion! I was trying to respond to a statement from JazzyGuy. Here's a "cut and paste" from his statement.

As far as changing the name to Jesus, he should still fear for his life by the sounds of folks posting here so far. Mohammed, Allah, Buddha, Jesus.

My statement? Not my post, not my statement.

How did you cut and paste that thing anyway? Why if people click my name, they'll end up with palehorse32's post?

This thread is definitely going out of control.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
JazzyGuy, I humbly apologize and have gone back to correct my statements. No hard feelings I hope. Like I said, I'm still getting a feel for this new layout.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I find it funny that no one has checked out this other guy's artwork from what I can tell. Pretty out there stuff. This I will admit. Not my cup f tea, but nonetheless, still considered art anyway you look at it. If someone has checked him out, let us know what you think of his other exhibits. If anyone wants to team debate what is art or not, I have a teammate and we are ready.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Well, just imagine yourself represented by having your genitalia wildly exaggerated, and the rest of you presented as basically unimportant. Would you feel properly symbolized?

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This story can be very quickly dismissed because that is not Jesus of Nazareth!

Terence Koh, the artist, is a Michaelangelo wannabe and ripoff because he got his idea from this horny Moses sculpture.

Seems to me he has the hots for Latinos because Jesus in Spanish is pronounced Hay-soos.

What can Brown do for you Terence?

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I love it when people ask this question. I just tell them. "Imagine your dad with an erection, then multiply the 'Eeeeeewww' factor by ten million.

FOR REAL!

This is an excellent example actually. 'God' is our idea of everything, that is, universal consciousness. Jesus being the 'son of God' to me, was just a living breathing man who took on this consciousness and began to spread it. He demonstrated real love for humanity etc...

so we consider Jesus and GOD like Father figures to some extent, capable of loving and protecting, educating us etc.

Now imagine you love this man so much for bringing God consciousness that you call him your father. Now imagine that father figure is murdered by the government for trying to teach you God consciousness. Now imagine thousands of years later, some schmuck takes a picture of that awesome person you love so much and put a ridiculous, large, phallic monstrosity on him and called that art.

It's stupid, and intentionally offensive, and you wouldn't be at all humored about it.

I'm not outraged, but I'm certainly not humored. Jesus was a good guy who already, thanks to organized religion, religious zealots and religious 'leaders' (who are actually Satanists) is suffering a hard rep. This just seems like needless provocatism. "Let's take the nicest guy in the world and slap a pee pee on him".

bah.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I don't know which is more disgusting - the statue or so called "Christians" here who use the statue to attack Islam.

What part of Christianity says "If ye be attacked, attack another party?"

Whenever the argument comes up, "well we don't want to kill the artist, like Muslims do" comes up, i have to laugh. Are you sure no Christian wants to kill him? I do remember Madonna including a crucifix in her concerts and a priest called in a bomb threat, threatening to kill her.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
We need much more art like this to keep the idiot christians busy whining and complaining in forums like this one and out of our laws and away from our children.

Yes indeed, more things to upset the christian masses and make them do their entertaining "I'm upset" dance. Dance xtian dance!

Its art big deal.

I look like Jesus and get erections all the time.
Who wants pictures?

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Have any of you ever contemplated your own erect penis ? Perhaps the artist is
just being very blunt because no one seems to get the message, perhaps
divinity has something to do with ''it'' ? The church has certainly done their utmost to portray anything to do with genitals as being bad, so perhaps
this is actually where we should be looking for the answer to enlightenement,
down below, inside out, who would have thought it ?

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Hmmm this thread seems to have "petered" out...

All the indignant Xtians must be fixin' to git ready for their Sunday-go-to-"meat-in's."

It must be "hard-on" them to have to deal with this...

I'm sorry.

I know, I can be such a "dick" at times...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join