Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Maybe since he's not such a good artist, being a sensationalist is the only thing he's good at.

I think that may be the whole point. He's obviously no great artist, so he makes a living being provocative, knowing that the media will carry his water.

Originally posted by spines
It is a statue depicting the humanity of Jesus.

Uh, no. It's a enormous phallus connected to a supposed representation of Christ. Does your phallus, or that of your spouse, depict your humanity? I would think that you consider yourself much more than this, but perhaps I'm wrong. I have met those that are a human phallus.

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I don't think anyone is fooled by this sort of thing. The artist intended from the outset for this to offend the people it offended. It was to draw attention to himself and it of course works. Some nut will pay to much for it and be stuck with a work with no value when they try and sell it later on. That is also the intent of the artist. Some will lie and laud its value as true art but it will still be a lie. Timeless art makes you say "Wow" not "Yecch".

Exactly.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
and finally I for one, but it's just me, find it kind of morbid as well as offensive to display a man dead on an execution device. I don't find it very glorifying at all, and never have. In fact it's quite sick and disgusting, and also the way everyone worships the cross...what is that all about, Jesus spoke against idols...what a bunch of hypocrisy. But just like art, it's all subjective and opinion based, so please people don't loose sleep over this. If God is supreme and Jesus is who he said he was, everything will be just fine. Also, all these reactions to such a wonderful organism that nature supplied some of us with, and in it's context really illustrate why humans fight over their dead gods in the first place...see how wars get started? LIGHTEN UP people, it's just a statue!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
Its called having some respect.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please elaborate.

If I have to elaborate on what 'respect' has to do with it then there is no hope you would understand, so whats the point.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
and finally I for one, but it's just me, find it kind of morbid as well as offensive to display a man dead on an execution device. I don't find it very glorifying at all, and never have.

Sadly, the crucifix is just another Illuminati symbol to remind people, we kill your saviors, we will kill you if you speak against the Government in the name of God etc.

One huge example was made of Jesus and the crucifix is the Catholic Church's way of keeping that in the subconscious of people. It's a pretty sick and twisted joke on Christians...

I know though, that most Christians think of the cross as something holy and beautiful now. I suppose if it is a symbol of faith, it is holy and beautiful... but the crucifix in general is just a sadistic reminder.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully you're articulate enough to describe how what you mean. I have, can't you show me the same respect?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Stop it? Just because I respect art doesn't mean I'm out to thrash Christianity. As a matter of fact, please point out where I thrash Christianity rather than praise artistic expression? Or is it that you can't discern between the two?

Well you're answering to a reply that I sent to someone else for one.

The person was basically saying "Christianity pisses the world off so YEAH THIS IS AWESOME". It was just more childish 'I hate religion let's pee on Jesus' nonsense.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"Well you're answering to a reply that I sent to someone else for one.

The person was basically saying "Christianity pisses the world off so YEAH THIS IS AWESOME". It was just more childish 'I hate religion let's pee on Jesus' nonsense." ((( would someone explain to me how to put the cooler quotes up with the white background....if I knew how to do that I would use it )))

NO that was not what I was saying. Why would you try to tell me what I was saying? What I was saying is more along the lines of "turnabout is fair play" or "tit for tat"...or "a taste of it's own medicine" as it were...but I don't believe it was in the spirit of "childishness". It all goes back to the "whoever is without sin through the first stone" sort of thing. Moreover, I think when people upset themselves to the point of risking a cardiac arrest over a statue with an erect penis on it, that that in and of itself is what is childish. We've had some darned good art work over the eons only to have some prude come by and cover things up with a fig leaf. It's natural, and it's beautiful, it's art...why do people always feel the need to censor things?

By the way, that post about the cross being an Illuminati symbol was one of the best I have ever read on here. Thank you for that, I learned something new, and I suspect strongly that you are absolutely correct on that; it certainly is logical regarding something I have always thought of as incredibly illogical. And what evil heartless beings they truly are to take the feminine (The Godess & story of Marry Magdalene) out of the mix entirely, and then crucify the masculine and make it (the killing itself / crucifix) the cornerstone idol to be worshiped by all the followers in an open display as a threat of what will happen if you dare try and cross the establishment...the biggest hoax and greatest story ever sold! They literally have raped the church and it's all been successfully hidden right out in the open for nearly two milinia... Wow.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by skyshow]

[edit on 12-1-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
NWO, I was mainly replying to this statement.

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
No. You're not.
You're an anti-religious progressive culture that is taking the piss out of EVERYTHING and trying to explain it away. Stop it.

You seemed to paint everyone defending the statue with the same brush, so I wanted to know where you were pulling it from.

And yes, I believe that sometimes turnabout is fair play with regards to thrashing a culture that thrashes all others.

In this case, it's artistic expression, one of the last bastions of free speech left that isn't monitored, edited, suppressed and belittled. However this thread alone makes me wonder how free it really is, or will become.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
((( would someone explain to me how to put the cooler quotes up with the white background....if I knew how to do that I would use it )))

You can click 'quote' on a persons post and it'll give you their post in quote brackets.

NO that was not what I was saying. Why would you try to tell me what I was saying? What I was saying is more along the lines of "turnabout is fair play" or "tit for tat"...or "a taste of it's own medicine" as it were...but I don't believe it was in the spirit of "childishness".

Tit for tat doesn't even apply to this. Jesus did not create mortifying statues of other people
This is all unprovoked anti-religious nonsense. It's funny, yes, but it's childish. If you think that because the Catholic church murdered thousands of people that Jesus deserves to be depicted with an erection... well, that's strange logic. The Catholic church still has nothing to do with Jesus as a religious figure.

It's natural, and it's beautiful, it's art...why do people always feel the need to censor things?

I don't agree with censorship either. But let's not kid ourselves. This isn't beautiful. It's a row of engorged penises that are so sloppily constructed, as I said, it looks like a 3rd grader made it. It's shock art and it's not even good shock art.

By the way, that post about the cross being an Illuminati symbol was one of the best I have ever read on here.

Thanks. Yep, in organized religion there are alot of stabs at the true believers. The Catholic church made the crucifix the symbol of Christianity to plant the idea in Christians heads that 'hah hah, we killed your lord, now pay us taxes' etc. It's pretty sick. Nowhere near as degrading as the jesus penis
but pretty bad.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

If you notice, 4th DoctorWhoFan has never shown anyone respect throughout this thread that doesn't agree with what he says. And his responses are usually one liners of child like answers. Such as when I said think a bit outside of the religion box, he only rebutles, you need to think inside the religion box. Nothing more than that. He likes to think others opinions are babbling. But anyways,

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

To finish my previous post, I love how people always seem to know exactly what this artist was thinking and trying to accomplish. not saying that I defend the statue as I am sure I will be accused of, but defending artists I say that only they know what their art is truly intended for. As previously stated in this thread, art is all about each individuals interpretation. And no one has the right to say ultimately that another person's view is wrong. Just like interpreting the bible...it means something different to everyone!!! There are many interpretations.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I don't agree with censorship either. But let's not kid ourselves. This isn't beautiful. It's a row of engorged penises that are so sloppily constructed, as I said, it looks like a 3rd grader made it. It's shock art and it's not even good shock art.

Ha haaa ha, see this is why it is so funny, and I can't help but think that if I were Jesus I would be laughing too, especially when we stop for a minute here and really look at what it is we are laughing at!!! The subjectivity of what constitutes a quality penis from one that is sloppily constructed. Who's the ultimate judge on that one? OMG, I'm leaving for work in a good mood. This is some amazing art, and I haven't even looked at it yet!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Political correctness and religious bs trying to hide the fact that erections as in the statue of Jesus ( a made believe Jesus) is just the natural way of the human body when it relates to the male of the human species as it with any males of any species.

Is nothing than a natural occurrence.

Get over it people.

This will be my only two cents on this post because I am not going to start a controversy.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

And that's what transforms something normally mundane, stupid or offensive into "art."

The implied and required emotional response of the observer.

What it is that makes them who they are and the values they hold, interacting on a visceral, emotional level with what they perceive the "art" to mean.

If it doesn't stir the emotions, of whatever stripe, it isn't "art."

Not all art is pretty, nor "safe."

Some art is created expressly to piss you off, to force an examination of why it is one finds something offensive.

And, unfortunately, some people just don't get it...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

As far as changing the name to Jesus, he should still fear for his life by the sounds of folks posting here so far. Mohammed, Allah, Buddha, Jesus. Who cares.

Who would care? Well...let's see...

The Muslims, the Buddists, and the Christians. Now, you're probably wondering what's the difference? Phil said it pretty good. IF this statue were renamed Mohammed, the museum would have been leveled by now and the artist growing colder and colder in the county morgue. And THAT is the only reason I'm sure the artist did this...to totally outrage a community that knows well enough not to actually KILL him because of the horrible press it might generate. I can see the headline now...

"Yet another example of Christian intolerence."
Yeah right

[

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

If you notice, 4th DoctorWhoFan has never shown anyone respect throughout this thread that doesn't agree with what he says.

Please, give me a break.

I guess you don't know what the word means because your accusation is unfounded. And your comment about being inside/outside of the box is totally ludicrous. I guess its ok when you say it but not me. SIGH

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Toelint

Buddhists??

How do you mean?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

And you have yet to explain yourself to me. Not that you're required, but it would be nice.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Whoa! Sorry for the confusion! I was trying to respond to a statement from palehorse23
. Here's a "cut and paste" from his statement.

"As far as changing the name to Jesus, he should still fear for his life by the sounds of folks posting here so far. Mohammed, Allah, Buddha, Jesus. Who cares. "

I hope that clears things up...still getting used to this new thread format.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

And you have yet to explain yourself to me. Not that you're required, but it would be nice.

Explain what?

Anyway, I think I've had enough of this thread. It's going nowhere fast. There is not much room to discuss here. Either you believe it's art or you don't.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join