It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Well I definetly find it disrespectful. Of course billions of peope scoff and giggle at disrespectful acts, ideas and objects on a daily basis around the world.

IMO, I believe Jesus would probably be upset, but I think God will laugh it off. He has the biggets since of humor in the universe, after all he created it.

IE (I believe in the teachings of Christ, but do not believe he was God incarnate) matter of fact, I study two faiths and enjoy the benefits of each quite equally. Freedom of religion sure is beautiful.

Freedom of expression is however, could very well be malicious, which in this case what I believe it was intended for. Can anyone please explain what artistic value Christ with an erect penis shows? I would not consider it appropriate for Public museum or display if minors would be able to view it. Highly unnecesary and derogatory. It may be disrespectful in my eyes, but ti still is funny. The same was that it is disrespectful to unload a freight car worth of obscenities at a Law Enforcement officer, but amusingly hilarious to watch unfold.

So my opinion is, let the statue be, but forbid it from public display. It would be more appropriate for some sleezy adult "bookstore".

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Did Jesus have a penis?
Was this penis functional?

I would guess the answer to both questions is "yes"

People are ridiculous!

Oh yes,
this was just anatomically correct art! Jesus having morning wood is a very VALID and IMPORTANT artistic concept! It is so very relevant to our spiritual/sexual confusion! We should all have a copy on our bedroom wall.

Absolutely asinine. Grow the hell up people. This is religious shock art and it's nothing but.

I KNEW there would be people trying to defend this stuff with the most laughable reasoning
Anything to avoid moral responsiblity.

Like I said, it's shock art. It has no value, except to shock. It's pointless to get riled up about it, likewise it is laughable to try and defend shock art as meaningful or valid etc. There is no logic in this, except childish logic.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Gimme a break dude.

You call it shock art, I call it the humanization of Christ.

If you're that upset about an erection, then go get yourself castrated.

The thing about art is, even if the artist had one intention in mind, it's up to the viewer to find their own interpretation.

Have you read the children's book Everyone Poops?

Well this has inspired me to write my own called Everyone gets a boner, even Jesus

If you want to rant and rave, take it up with God, he designed us.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Agreed, nothing more than shock art. If you want to view the statue in person, than take a trip to a strip club or adult convinience center where it belongs. Not in a public museum where respectable people want to enjoy art and not have to skip a whole section so they will not have to subject themselves to such disrespectful messages.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
You need to get out of the clouds my friend.

So you must think all art that depicts some sort of nudity must be indecent.

I feel sorry for you my friend. You seem to not be able to see outside of the box of religion.

Get OVER yourselves people.

I am so tickled pink by this progressive mentality that people try to sport all the time. Nothing is profane, everything is art, religion and morality is illusion etc. "

"We are progressive! Nothing offends us, and if it offends anyone else than they are brainwashed by religion! Not us though!"

Get a grip

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Gimme a break dude.

You call it shock art, I call it the humanization of Christ.

That's because, like so many other people, you are deliriously wrapped up in your own little progressive agenda.

Somebody makes something blatantly offensive and you try to explain it away as if it isn't simple shock art. You try to intellectualize it and make it an argument of 'religion vs everyone else.' This is the atheist mindset and it makes me laugh.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously and realize that this garbage is meant to stir up controversy. Just because you think yourselves to be so progressive that you aren't shocked, doesn't mean it isn't shock art. It just means you don't care about religious icons etc. The art is still crap... it looks like a group of 3rd graders put it together.

This should be a good thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Did Jesus have a penis?
Was this penis functional?

I would guess the answer to both questions is "yes"

People are ridiculous!

Oh yes,
this was just anatomically correct art! Jesus having morning wood is a very VALID and IMPORTANT artistic concept! It is so very relevant to our spiritual/sexual confusion! We should all have a copy on our bedroom wall.

Absolutely asinine. Grow the hell up people. This is religious shock art and it's nothing but.

I KNEW there would be people trying to defend this stuff with the most laughable reasoning
Anything to avoid moral responsiblity.

Like I said, it's shock art. It has no value, except to shock. It's pointless to get riled up about it, likewise it is laughable to try and defend shock art as meaningful or valid etc. There is no logic in this, except childish logic.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by NewWorldOver]

Given that the crux of your counterpoint is a straw man you constructed, accented with a smiley, I would be careful with calling other people asinine if I were you.

I don't waste my time judging art. There's never going to be any consensus on any given piece, so really it's just back and forth babbling.

What I want to know, is why this is "demeaning"? He's not sticking it in livestock. He's not performing autofellatio. There's not a swarm of choir boys around him giving longing looks. From what I can tell we're not dealing with Holy Hyperphallia even. It doesn't vibrate, does it? So what's demeaning about it? Hell, what's "shocking" about it?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
That's because, like so many other people, you are deliriously wrapped up in your own little progressive agenda.

Hah, progressive agenda. I suppose it's better than a recessive agenda.

Somebody makes something blatantly offensive and you try to explain it away as if it isn't simple shock art. You try to intellectualize it and make it an argument of 'religion vs everyone else.' This is the atheist mindset and it makes me laugh.

Even shock art has it's place. As for trying to intellectualize it, I think you missed my point. What the artist's original intent is when creating art is always secondary to what the viewer takes away from it. If they overlap, than that's fine, but not necessary.

And I'm not Athiest.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously and realize that this garbage is meant to stir up controversy.

As should all art. If it's not worth talking about, than it's not worth painting, sculpting or writing.

The art is still crap... it looks like a group of 3rd graders put it together.

Looks aren't everything. If they were my girlfriend would have left me long ago.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I would have never posted this article for instance because I don't believe Jesus would have done that. Do you?

But jesus would be bashing away on the keyboard expressing his upset at the article would he?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Art is in the eye of the beholder.

"Art" does not exist in a vacuum.

"Art" is wholly defined through it's ability to provoke an emotional response.

With this in mind, and judging from the opinions expressed on this thread, I am forced to suggest:

This silly, ugly little statue, has been a stark, raving success.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

How is the fact that the guy's body was actually functional "demeaning"?

It's not.
And your comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand because the discussion is not whether his body was functional.
Did you actually read the thread?

but showing him how he probably looked when he got up in the morning is?

Umm....yes. Thats the whole point of the thread. DUH!

Its called having some respect.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This thread is kinda getting out of control in my opinion. Perhaps there should be a team debate about this topic.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Sorry but it doesn't matter to me if Jesus would do it or not. I am not a Christian. I am not wrong for posting an article that I think will bring great discussion. But a certain few repeat posters seem to not be bringing levelheaded discussion to this topic. Which is what I expect as they seem to be quick to judge. Now, I know Jesus doesn't like that.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

I am definitely in for a team debate if anyone else wants too. U2U if anyone is interested.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT
But jesus would be bashing away on the keyboard expressing his upset at the article would he?

We are on a discussion board, correct? After looking around, I gather we are definitely on a discussion board. So Blaine found a topic he is interested it and is discussing this. I don't consider that "bashing away on a keyboard." Blaine is enjoying himself, adding to the discussion, contributing to the author's post, and is utilizing his privilege as a member to reply to topics as we all are.

[edit on 1/12/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ha ha hhhhaaa. I'm sure were Jesus alive today he would get a big kick out of this and be laughing his arse off just like I am.

Brilliant art and expression. The work pisses off the Christians, just like many things the Christians have done to piss off the art world...I love it!

And why can't our gods have a sense of humor?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
Brilliant art and expression. The work pisses off the Christians, just like many things the Christians have done to piss off the art world...I love it!

This is why I don't take any of you seriously.

You're out to piss on religion and Christianity in particular. Than you claim that you're just defending art.

No. You're not.
You're an anti-religious progressive culture that is taking the piss out of EVERYTHING and trying to explain it away. Stop it.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
so then are you also saying Jesus wouldn't laugh at this? I thought he was human just as you and I?

One could also imagine that quite possibly the artist doesn't really take it all that seriously either.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by skyshow]

[edit on 12-1-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Stop it? Just because I respect art doesn't mean I'm out to thrash Christianity. As a matter of fact, please point out where I thrash Christianity rather than praise artistic expression? Or is it that you can't discern between the two?

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
Its called having some respect.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please elaborate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join