It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
It basically boils down to the fact that NONE of us, living on this earth today, know what Jesus Christ of Nazareth actually looks like.

Does anyone take cream or sugar in their coffees?

~Ducky~

so it makes no sense to get all bunged up about it right?

yes, lotsa cream and lotsa sugar.....i am working on my second pot of pumpkin flavored coffee already

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

For that ducky, you get a star. And you did it all without calling anyone retarded, go figure.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Originally posted by SoLaR513
What I am is pro freedom of expression. You can take your censorship and eat it.

And you can take your bogus 21st century 'I'm a free thinker' attitude and shove it in someone else's face.

Nobody HERE has called for censorship or even hinted that it's appropriate. What is this crazy delusion that you're all suffering from? Are you really so convinced that you are edgy and special that you cannot see that NOBODY had called for censorship? It's like your fighting your own lil imaginary battle in here
which is cute, but stupid.

From page 1 all we've done is point out that it's a vulgar, shock-art piece and that Christians in general don't even CARE.

I understand that you people read a little newsclip about some preacher being outraged and then decide the whole of Christendom must be outraged. But that's because you're simple and you view religious communities in a simple-minded frame of view. (Which isn't very progressive at all).

I'm not a 'Christian' by label and I have no problem pointing you people out as bigots. You think all Christians are the same and want to throw fits over meaningless shock-art. Go educate yourselves and find something better to do than sensationalize anti-religious snuff art

[edit on 15-1-2008 by NewWorldOver]

[edit on 15-1-2008 by SoLaR513]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Honestly, to me, it is insulting. People do things like this for attention, then call it "art work." I am just sorry that my hard earned money goes towards funding such things.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Honestly, to me, it is insulting. People do things like this for attention, then call it "art work." I am just sorry that my hard earned money goes towards funding such things.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

care to say why it is insulting???

'shock art' has been around for some time...
if you like it then it is bitchen....if you think it sucks then it does.
it really is that simple...

if i make something and call it art, then it is.

i compose songs and i think they are good. i call them songs. i give them titles. that is my art.
if you were to listen to one of my songs and say it sucks then it sucks....

i still hold that in feeling insulted, that says more about you(whoever is insulted) than the person who sculpted the work.

dictionary.reference.com...

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

www.reference.com...

--avant garde

Avant-garde represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the
norm or the status quo, primarily in the cultural realm

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Boondock78]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

It has been suggested the art piece be destroyed, thats as censored as it gets. I guess I was operating under the freedom of speech crazy delusion. You can be sa foul, closed minded and evasive as you want but we will not shut up and we will not go away.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Who in here has been 'whining' about this statue? I haven't seen a single person whine.

Whop has been whining? Look in the mirror my friend. All you have been doing is whining that people who do not agree with you are all progressive and religion haters. You spew the same junk post after post without ever giving reasons to your thought. A bunch of nonsense.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

Whop has been whining? Look in the mirror my friend. All you have been doing is whining that people who do not agree with you are all progressive and religion haters. You spew the same junk post after post without ever giving reasons to your thought. A bunch of nonsense.

exactly correct. i have asked this dude direct questions and have recieved no answers. others have asked too but he is far too busy calling people names and spewing curse words(real religious there btw) at people to answer....

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I wanted to ask him whos paying him to be evasive and try to steer the thread off course but That would mean an agenda and I think hes just venting his own frustrations. I think I might actually pitty the poor sap.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

let me take his posts and put them all in one spot so we don't have to go through 14 pages to look at his non answers to direct questions....k

-------------
It's just shock-art that religious communities need to ignore.

Plenty of people get a kick out of insulting religion etc. Let them be.
-----
People are ridiculous!

Oh yes,
this was just anatomically correct art! Jesus having morning wood is a very VALID and IMPORTANT artistic concept! It is so very relevant to our spiritual/sexual confusion! We should all have a copy on our bedroom wall.

Absolutely asinine. Grow the hell up people. This is religious shock art and it's nothing but.

I KNEW there would be people trying to defend this stuff with the most laughable reasoning Anything to avoid moral responsiblity.

Like I said, it's shock art. It has no value, except to shock. It's pointless to get riled up about it, likewise it is laughable to try and defend shock art as meaningful or valid etc. There is no logic in this, except childish logic.
------
Get OVER yourselves people.

I am so tickled pink by this progressive mentality that people try to sport all the time. Nothing is profane, everything is art, religion and morality is illusion etc. "

"We are progressive! Nothing offends us, and if it offends anyone else than they are brainwashed by religion! Not us though!"

Get a grip
------
That's because, like so many other people, you are deliriously wrapped up in your own little progressive agenda.

Somebody makes something blatantly offensive and you try to explain it away as if it isn't simple shock art. You try to intellectualize it and make it an argument of 'religion vs everyone else.' This is the atheist mindset and it makes me laugh.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously and realize that this garbage is meant to stir up controversy. Just because you think yourselves to be so progressive that you aren't shocked, doesn't mean it isn't shock art. It just means you don't care about religious icons etc. The art is still crap... it looks like a group of 3rd graders put it together.

This should be a good thread.
-------------------

on second thought, just go here to read all of his posts.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=NewWorldOver

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

I wonder if he is looking like the statue when he sits back and rants the same nonsense to us. Maybe he enjoys it a bit too much. Sorry, going against my own advice, but this is getting ridiculous. I am glad a few folks have expressed their intelligent opposing views though. :up
uckster

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Am I clear, hes against both sides? Dosnt care yet does but dosnt? I dont think HE knows what he believes. Hes actually against intellectualizing? So he wants us to be sheep? Maybe he likes sheep.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
He did accomplish one thing, A whole page about him. Way to steer us away from Jesus's junk. BAAAAAAGH!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I like the previous post of no one getting worked up over any of the other religious figures potrayed the same way. That is a good question. Is it because no one knows who the other figures are? Or is it because no one wants to talk about the issue.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
maybe it is just me and i am a heartless bastard with no feelings but i can't think of anything that would offend me.
not a single thing...

i can think of some things that would piss me off and lead to me busting someones skull. you know, verbal or physical attacks on my wife or son...something like that.

i have been sitting here thinking though and i can not think of one thing that i could see or hear that would offend me. no song. no pictures. no kind of artwork. no speech....NOTHING

wonder what that says about me.

not saying i would like everything but i am a big boy and i can remove myself from the situation....i just don't see myself passing a statue and being offended...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Well said
It does show a certain maturity level to be offended by stuff like that. Im with you on that one nothing phases me anymore not to the point of reduceing myself to baseless name calling.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Getting riled up over 'illusions'. Not the illusions of faith or religions. I'm not refering to that.

Take the 'faith' part out of the equation, and just focus on what this statue 'represents' to others. Focus on this aspect.

Re-iterating from my previous post:

It basically boils down to the fact that NONE of us, living on this earth today, know what Jesus Christ of Nazareth actually looks like.

We have the 'stereotype' pictures 'representing' him (what past artists thought he looked like), but no ACTUAL likenesses. Even if today's Christians knew, they are instructed by the 10 Commandments to NOT make any graven images.

How many paintings and sculptures were created around the time of Christ? Anyone?

I'll tell you...ZIP..NADDA.

And where does Christ's 'long hair' fit in? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Jewish people frown upon such things (culturally) at that time?

Now...back to the paintings of Christ again. (I know you can follow my train of thought here..and see where it takes us)

How was Christ forever 'epitomised' in paintings to look like he does? Who started the ball rolling in that? There are NO physical descriptions even the holy texts to pertain to.

Somewhere, somehow, along our historical timeline, somebody took the liberty to portray Christ in what manner they deemed.

It snowballed from there.

So I offer a valid question and synopsis.

Logically, how can people be bent out of shape, based on something that (for better accounts) MOST LIKELY DOESN'T have anything to do with Christ?

~Ducky~

[edit on 15-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I agree whole heartedly Boondock. I find myself actually trying out new forms of music, new literature, new ART in general and ya know, I can't be offended in this way either. Like you say, we are adults and should be able to have the since to remove ourselves from things that we do not like. I do not necessarily like this guy's work, a bit out there actually, but the concept of the way I feel remains the same. I checked out his other work and just said well, must be something meaningful to him. That is why I can't grasp the whole "shock-art" arguement. I wasn't even shocked at it. There are many more things I think that should cause a rile up. This goes along the same lines of the religious protesting "The DaVinci Code", "Harry Potter", "Narnia", is it just because people can't get the difference between reality and fiction.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

double post. slow PC i guess

[edit on 1/15/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

One of the other figures as I said is obviously the virgin mary proudly sporting giganto wood. Ive mentioned it three times and not a peep but Jesus has an erection and suddenly this artist and anyone supporting his freedom of expression worship satan or hate christians. Somebody please get pissed about Marys man meat. At least then I might think their on issue for reasons other than thats what the other christians are doing.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join