It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants control home and business thermostats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

California wants control home and business thermostats

www.iht.com

Next year in California, state regulators are likely to have the emergency power to control individual thermostats, sending temperatures up or down through a radio-controlled device that will be required in new or substantially modified houses and buildings to manage electricity shortages.

The proposed rules are contained in a document circulated by the California Energy Commission, which for more than three decades has set state energy efficiency standards for home appliances, like water heaters, air conditioners and refrigerators.

The changes would allow utilities to adjust customers\' preset temperatures when the price of electricity is soaring. Customers could override the utilities\' suggested temperatures. But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers\' wishes.

Final approval is expected next month.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Californias three major utilities, San Diego Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison Company and Pacific Gas & Electric already have the capability to shut down some businesses as well as shut the A/C (Air Conditioning) off in private homs where the customer - and this is a key point - has agreed in advance.

After the mutual agreement, a radio receiver is placed on the A/C unit and when system resources get down to a specific point the A/C compressor is turned off, but the circulating fan remains on.

Benefits are two-fold.
The uility is able to free up some resources - generation, incoming power from adjactent utilities etc. - and the customer receives a discount on the power bill for the four hottest months of the year.

It's not necessary for California to step in and control the power systems.
They work quite well as is and this appears to be a step toward government takeover of the utilities.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited for spelling.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Holy crap!

I have never heard anything about this before. What a jacked up idea.

How quickly we lose ourselves to demands of society and it's regulations.

Old technology created brung forth new comforts for humankind...new technology takes the human out of it.

Phooey!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I could've swore that California was in the United States...maybe they left and I didn't hear about it.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Just another thing to hack.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

I agree, US is really getting the status of third world country very soon we may be receiving rations or meal tickets to stand on the lines to get our share of food and bread.

apc

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The power company here offers a similar service. But it can only raise and lower the temperature. For enrollment they offer their drone thermostat for free. A $199 value I hear...

I can't decide who's fault this is. It's definitely California's fault for method, but they like the fact the feds don't allow more nuke plants to be built. We should just take the waste to the moon, come on. Nuke Power Nuke Power!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I live in San Diego, and I'm somewhat shocked by this.
Though I'm close to the beach and don't bother with A/C, the breeze from the ocean does just fine

The original program where the customer agrees to the program voluntarily is fine by me - in fact it's a good idea, it sure beats rolling blackouts.

But I'm not to keen on some bureaucrat in Sacramento tweaking my thermostat by remote control without my consent, that's just creepy.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
You know they can regulate the theromostats but what happen if I put floor heaters all over my home or window air conditioned units.

Are they just going to cut off electricity?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So what do they do when people turn their AC off and turn on the number of swamp coolers they may have - that work just as good as AC.

Here in Alaska on base, where we get HOT temps in the summer...we have NO AC. So many people buy the portable swamp coolers to cool the houses. We have 3 of them for our house.

Id pitch a major fit if ANYONE messed with my AC in the summer!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

the key point being "voluntary" as noted in the OP...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now , when our fascist big-brother starts monitoring our homes & businesses with remote heat detecting sensors and sending in the
'resource enforcers' to force homesteads to comply with the
Energy-Ration-Arrangement (ERA)...

then that's when i will fully realize that the pot of water i'm sitting in has
actually started to boil

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
Just another thing to hack.

Radio receiver hmmmm?

One large roll of tin foil please (it's not just for defeating those pesky mind rays y'know)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Notice the line in the OP that says "But in emergencies, the utilities could override customers\' wishes. " That seems to blow the voluntary idea out of the water.

The post about hacking was interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I can already see teenage kids rolling down the street with a device purchased on ebay turning everybody's thermostats up to 120 or down to 40 depending on the time of year. I also see a future market for lead wall boxes to block the thermostats from remote control.

MBF

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think that a better idea would be for people to put their high energy use devices like AC and water heater on a timer. These devices are running during times of the day that they are not used. Why run them while nobody is home?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I hear the government here likes the way North Korea blacks out after 9 pm.
I think this will come too!! You best get it all done by 9pm or you'll be in the dark!!!!

I love it.

Sickofthewholething.

new topics

top topics

join