It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for masons and members of other similar groups

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Myself and a couple of friends have discussed creating a club house. Our clubhouse would be a place where we could watch football, drink beer, and eat unhealthy fried food without our wives and girlfriends nagging us. It would be difficult pulling the money together to rent or buy a space to build our clubhouse. One option would be to join a masonic lodge or the lodge of some other organization. We could then use the lodge as our clubhouse. We figured we could get more free run of the place if the the lodge was struggling to find members, as many are these days.

We have reservations. For one, we are not interested in rituals and other hocus pocus. If we were to join, how much time and effort would we have to dedicate to rituals? Secondly, we are not that interested in lodge politicis or sitting through two hour meetings where 20 people use parliamentary procedure to debate and discuss whether or not to serve sandwiches at some picnic. Is there some way we could bypass boring meetings? Finally, how would you appraise the general feasibility of our plan?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Myself and a couple of friends have discussed creating a club house. Our clubhouse would be a place where we could watch football, drink beer, and eat unhealthy fried food without our wives and girlfriends nagging us. It would be difficult pulling the money together to rent or buy a space to build our clubhouse. One option would be to join a masonic lodge or the lodge of some other organization. We could then use the lodge as our clubhouse. We figured we could get more free run of the place if the the lodge was struggling to find members, as many are these days.

We have reservations. For one, we are not interested in rituals and other hocus pocus. If we were to join, how much time and effort would we have to dedicate to rituals? Secondly, we are not that interested in lodge politicis or sitting through two hour meetings where 20 people use parliamentary procedure to debate and discuss whether or not to serve sandwiches at some picnic. Is there some way we could bypass boring meetings? Finally, how would you appraise the general feasibility of our plan?

Well, let's see: You've got initiation fees, yearly dues, rent, installation of the electronics you need (Lodges I've been in don't have T.V.s ... at least not in any public areas), cable hook-up ...

By the time you figure out all that, you'd be much better putting a lock on the garage door and moving the T.V. out there. It would undoubtedly cost way more to do it hte way you describe.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Trust me, you and your buddies will not be getting into any masonic lodge. If its unclear as to why I would say that, read what you wrote, and think about it. The light of masonry isn't for everyone, and it is certainly not for you according to this post.

There are of course plenty of people who lie and join masonry for ulterior motives - but most of them don't get in, and those that do know it requires a level of actual commitment far beyond what you have here.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

To further LightinDarkness's post. There is a portion of the ritual-at least in our jurisdiction-where you are admonished not to join Masonry for mercenary motives. I think sitting around and not being an active and contributing memeber and desiring to join the lodge purely for ones own gain falls under this description. Best to buy an LCD, a few recliners and a keg-olator.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in most Masonic Lodge Halls in the U.S.A. and if you consider Masonic ceremonies to be "hocus pocus" you do not need to be a Mason...and frankly, we do not want you, or anyone like you.

If you are looking for a place to drink beer, watch football and hide from females, join the Elks, the Moose, the Eagles, the Water Buffalo, or better yet, rent a private place with the rest of your ilk. As I said, the Masons do not need or want you.

Masonry may be losing membership numbers in some places, but if you want to join us for the reasons you stated in this pathetic post...believe me, you are NOT membership material. Keep your membership $$$$. In fact, STICK your membership $$$$!

Honestly, we'd rather see Freemasonry die than knowingly accept people with ulterior motives who have no genuine interest or even a freaking CLUE what Freemasonry is actually about.

"Insincere Individuals Need Not Apply"

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think what you are looking for is something more along the lines of your local ELKS club. Give them a look see. You and your friends need to be looking for social organizations, not occult fraternaties

www.elks.org...

Every ELKS local that I know of, the lodge is open most every night with several brothers hanging out drinking watching sports.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Er, he is not looking for a fraternity - nothing occult about masonry. He is, as you said, looking for a social club...not real brotherhood.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pavlovsdog

I agree, my uncle was the top dog at the Elks lodge before he retired and it's a great time, just be prepared to play euker! There is no shame in the Elks game.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightinDarkness
nothing occult about masonry.

you might want to check the dictionary on this one.

Occult means hidden or obscure.I think the Masons embody that

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think the masons are being way to hard on the OP and co., who are just looking for some fun. And why not ask, if you're only insight is guys driving tiny cars in parades? I think it was an innocent question.

I've thought about this myself. Tho a mason, I wouldn't mind having a "club" to get away to for TV and a liquid lunch on friday. Like the elks, or maybe the sort of club where they planned the race in "around the world in 80 days." Of course, you have to be a millionaire to join . . .

Check out my "Garage Mahal" thread on BTS. Now that dude has the right idea!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Doc, I see your point about having a place to lounge with the guys on occasion. Am I infering properly that your jurisdiction does not permit alcohol in the lodge building?

I am fortunate to be in a jurisdiction where it is permitted and while our lodge, unlike others I have seen (looking at you Corsig), does not have a bar per se we do have a fairly varied assortment of adult beverages. I think the other lodges that I have traveled to that indeed do have a 'club house' area with pool tables, flat panels, video games, etc. always looked like somewhere enjoyable to relax with fellow brothers. I, however, would not want to spend time with an individual who only joined to take advantage of the ammenities. I, along with other members of my lodge, put a lot of time and effort into its upkeep and the conducting of meetings and would not appreciate anyone who is a 'loafer'. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Just because you join a lodge, does not mean you get free run of the building? .. I don't know where you got that idea from. Also, depending on your state you may or may not be allowed alcohol. As others said, Masonry is not right for you, and you should not join.. there are many other groups out there.

Or perhaps you can have your own "club house" .. perhaps in someones garage. If you have the cohonas to stand up to your woman that is.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

oc·cult [uh-kuhlt, ok-uhlt]
–adjective
1. of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies.

Let me think...no magic, astrology, or a system claiming the use of supernatural powers or agencies! So much for it being the occult.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A lot of people seem to be calling us "freeloaders." It is not as if we would be completely freeloading. We would not mind paying a reasonable fee for lodge dues. We would also not mind paying money out of pocket for food, drink, cable, or televisions. We would also not mind others joining us, and who knows, we may make new friends.

We also live in California, where real estate is expensive. If we lived in a cheaper part of the world, we could afford an apratment. Here in California, the cheapest apartments are about $1000 a month. Joining a lodge and getting access to the space on the other hand is much cheaper.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

One should not join Masonry with the intentions of carousing with ones friends or enjoying the amenitities of the lodge building if they so have them. One should join Masonry to improve oneself and to help others in their community without seeking recompense. Entering upon the degrees of Masonry should be a selfless act and not one of seeking reward, spiritual betterment and attainment of enlightenment being the purposes of membership.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
No booze allowed in blue lodge in my state, and I like it that way.I am no puritan by any means, on occasion I do go out, but in my opinion lodge should be sober and somber, and besides I can't imagine any of the memorization aspects of freemasonry going well when one is crocked or half crocked.I do however agree that Freemasonry is not for the OP,denigrating it as silly hocus pocus, and saying that you have no inclination to tend to the business of the lodge (attending meetings,correspondances with your state grand lodge,charitable/socially beneficial activities that your lodge may be involved in, etc) would be offensive to most Masons,also as posted above being a member does not entitle you to free reign over your lodge, or the lodge hall,and most lodges would not appreciate extra heating/air conditioning and electricity bills that were unnecessary.That money all has to come from somehwere.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't know of any texas lodge that serves acohol. I've never seen pool tables or bigscreens, either. Not sure I'd like it if I did. At my lodge the guys gather and drink coffee, go over lodge work. Usually one corner discusses military history (a lot of vets from WWII to Gulf War I). Another corner is EA's or FC practicing lectures; in the lodge is probably future Masters practicing opening and closing a lodge. A few discussing symbolism and meaning of the wording of different parts of ritual. Some reviews of masonic books, or practice in other states.

The other amenities mentioned, while enjoyable in and of themselves, would make it seem a bit too much like "THe Man Show" in my opinion.

Not that I would mind hanging out there, either. Just not in the lodge, thanks. I hafta drive home, y'know.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

you are right about some of the meetings being a bit boring.

you are wrong about thinking you can hang-out in a lodge-room/temple with buddies, beer and TV. The temple is a sacred place. Treat it well and it will treat you well. Masons dont dine or drink in a lodge room and normally dont hang out there outside of official meetings. You wouldnt feel to comfortable watching football on a checkered floor anyway.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

you are right about some of the meetings being a bit boring.

you are wrong about thinking you can hang-out in a lodge-room/temple with buddies, beer and TV. The temple is a sacred place. Treat it well and it will treat you well. Masons dont dine or drink in a lodge room and normally dont hang out there outside of official meetings. You wouldnt feel to comfortable watching football on a checkered floor anyway.

Ok, you have stated that it's a sacred place and everyone knows that you have a "worshipful master" to a "supreme being" but you honestly think that it's only a fraternity and not an occult? Please don't take it offensive, but do you see why some of us are just a bit confused? There is also the secrecy that, in my opinion, all leads to the "supreme being" and something to do with the celestial lodge in the sky.

Maybe I am getting carried away with it but I mean honestly, do you see where I am coming from? I don't want to argue anymore and preach about Christianity and Jesus just because I believe in him more then anything else. If you respond I promise to listen this time and engage in intelectual conversation without insults.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit7
Ok, you have stated that it's a sacred place and everyone knows that you have a "worshipful master"

Which is an honorific title for an elected offical was has been explained to you previously.

to a "supreme being"

The 'supreme being' or God or Jesus or Allah or The Great Architect of the Universe or what ever you happen to call your Diety is your Supreme Being.

but you honestly think that it's only a fraternity and not an occult?

Honestly, yes.

Please don't take it offensive, but do you see why some of us are just a bit confused?

Others perhaps, but not you, unless you are purposely deluding yourself. It has been explained to you many times by numerous members of the Fraternity yet for some unexplainable reason it fails to adhere and you continue to question our explanations.

$There is also the secrecy

Again?? What secrecy? Does it really cause you that much uncomfortableness that we will not confirm or deny to you the modes and manners of our recognition and initiation even though they are, sadly, all available in several mediums?

that, in my opinion, all leads to the "supreme being" and something to do with the celestial lodge in the sky.

Do you understand the term m-e-t-a-p-h-o-r? The Grand Lodge on High or the Celestial Lodge are metaphors for heaven, there is nothing untoward about these expressions.

Maybe I am getting carried away with it but I mean honestly, do you see where I am coming from?

Once again, I do not since it has been explained to you repeatedly and thoroughly and perhaps you need to contemplate and digest the answers we have provided you.

I don't want to argue anymore and preach about Christianity and Jesus

Can I get a Praise Jesus! for that?

just because I believe in him more then anything else.

I am truly happy for you add your faith and I am glad it provides you with happiness and comfort, just be aware that there will be others who do not proscribe to you faith and do not appreciate it being thrust upon us at every opportunity.

If you respond I promise to listen this time and engage in intelectual conversation without insults.

We are and have been listening. Will you finally do the same?

[edit on 12-1-2008 by AugustusMasonicus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join