It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Id Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

REAL ID UPDATE FOXNEWS!!!!

www.foxnews.com

The Homeland Security Department has spent years crafting the final regulations for the REAL ID Act, a law designed to make it harder for terrorists, illegal immigrants and con artists to get government-issued identification. The effort once envisioned to take effect in 2008 has been pushed back in the hopes of winning over skeptical state officials.

Even with more time, more federal help and technical advances, REAL ID still faces stiff opposition from civil liberties groups.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Fixed ALL CAPS TITLE

[edit on 1/11/08 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I found this in the lower section of the Foxnews main page LATEST NEWS SECTION.

I went back to look for it and its gone now, but luckily I got the link before it happend!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Real ID and war with IRAN 2 things you can count on before bush leaves office.

I wouldnt be surprised if they enacted it on dec 31 2008 Bush is the sneakiest president ever.

more underhanded dirty tricks what a surprise.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
Real ID and war with IRAN 2 things you can count on before bush leaves office.

I dont think there is any way to push the real ID through this decade.

So far as Iran goes, I think that will be left to the next POTUS.

Flagged because real ID is an importantissue that has been forgotten lately.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Here in New Mexico, we will soon be one step closer to the REAL ID...this year, I think. The State will begin using Facial Recognition Software and will be a requirement before getting a driver's license or other ID. Here's the link:

New IDs

Scroll to the 3rd paragraph.

[edit on 1/11/2008 by CherokeeDan]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Faux News NWO mind manipulation...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It seems that DHS's latest approach is merely an attempt to implement this at the state level as opposed to federal. Once in place, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised [read: anticipate] that all States will ultimately be forced to "join" a DHS REAL ID program... or lose highway funding.
*recall how they brought upon the national drinking age? hmmm...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Whats one more ID going to do to you...except take up more space in my already full wallet.

I don't mind having a more secured ID.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is one of those topics I'm torn on.

In some ways, a national ID card just makes sense. (ducks the swarm of thrown objects). Seriously, though. I'm not going to bother going into the why's, but it's not the idea of a National ID card that I have a problem with.

It's an RFID I have a HUGE problem with. A secure form of identification in the face of ID theft crime running rampant? Okay. Every crime has a fair countermeasure till crime figures out a way around it. Chipping my ID or myself for tracking purposes? Oh hell no!

Anyone know if the "Real ID" has RFID?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
From what I've seen, the RealID cards will NOT have RFID chips in them. It seems that piece of the puzzle was too expensive to implement across the board, instead states get to pick which security measures they will have included in the RealID approved driver licenses.

Among other details of the REAL ID plan:

# The traditional driver's license photograph would be taken at the beginning of the application instead of the end so that if someone is rejected for failure to prove identity and citizenship, the applicant's photo would be kept on file and checked if that person tried to con the system again.

# The cards will have three layers of security measures but will not contain microchips as some had expected. States will be able to choose from a menu which security measures they will put in their cards.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Think of the multiple uses this card will have. You could scrape your --(insert 'trash can', 'toilet', 'bum' or other creative idea here) with it. You could flick unwanted detritus or pesky insects with it. Keep it in your shoe. And so on.

The guys who dream this stuff up should be fired to balance the budget.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Whats one more ID going to do to you...except take up more space in my already full wallet.

I don't mind having a more secured ID.

Its a stepping stone from national ID to a RFID card then a RFID chip for our security.

"They attack us because of our Freedumbs!"

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
what exactly is the problem ?

assuming you are ` legal ` - and have a drivers licence and passport

you have already submitted your picture and thumb print to the state records , and your picture and ??? [ appologies for my ignorance of US passort application criteria ] to the federal authorities

"they" know who you are

why does anyone rationally object to the requirement that REALID seems to set out - ie that only a citizen who can proove his id is valid and ` belongs ` to them can obtain ID in that name ?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Without this new ID you will not be able to enter ANY Federal building, board a plane (even for domestic flights), write checks, open bank accounts, buy a car/home/gun etc etc.

At least we can stop talking about "Freedom" and "Liberty" now and no-one will be able to make a reasonable argument that we are "Free". It'll save a lot of time and stress to just admit that we are wards of the state, no more free then a hamster or a rat in a cage.

This proves that the States have no power and the Central Government is in ultimate command. No more worry about "States Rights".

Then in 5-10 years....

"New technology has allowed us to insert this small RFID chip into your finger/forehead/neck that will allow for instant scanning of your REAL ID without the hassle of carrying any addtional ID...."

It's a great idea if you have no problem being branded like stock or inventoried like a commodity.

"THE NATIONAL ID! WORKED SO WELL IN NAZI GERMANY THAT WE WILL IMPLEMENT THEM HERE. JUST LIKE ADOLF'S SMOKING BANS.."

Just line up at the entrance to the cage and hold out your hands..

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
someone, somewhere, somehow will learn how to hack this new "security" measure be it an inside job or someone with extra time on his/her hands looking to make some easy $$$.

at a cost of $4 billion, IMO this is just another diversion tactic to keep people's minds off the real issues with the Bush(y) administration.

new topics

top topics

join