It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad wakes up to rare snowfall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Baghdad wakes up to rare snowfall

news.bbc.co.uk

Snow has fallen in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, for the first time in living memory - though it mostly melted into puddles on touching the ground. People came out on to the streets to watch and some Iraqis said it was the first time they had seen such weather other than in films.

Mohammed Abdul-Hussein, 63 and retired, told the Associated Press he had heard from his father when he was young that snow fell in the early 1940s on the outskirts of northern Baghdad.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well this is something to report!

A Miracle?

Or just another sign of Global Weather Mess?

Or a lesson from God?

Time to cool down things in Iraq...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think they call it weather manipulation

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, I'm waiting for someone to blame U.S. for using HAARP to cause this.

Who knows the real reason. At best it will serve as an interesting diversion for people hammered by war for so lomg.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
La Niña

A La Niña event occurs when cooler than normal sea surface temperatures form along the equator in the Pacific Ocean, specifically in the eastern to central Pacific. The La Niña we are experiencing now has a significant presence in the eastern part of the ocean.

[..]

While this “air conditioner” may be located in the equatorial Pacific Ocean, it has a great influence on the weather here in the United States and across the globe.

It's been a cool month or so even here in the tropics, with rain falling daily and strong cold gusts of wind. Hail hasn't fallen yet, but it might.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So if you drop 40,000 bombs killing more mothers and sisters you make more terrorist who dont care anymore and suicide bomb cause there family was killed.

Not cause they get 50 virgins Media hype bs.If you actually believe that I got a bridge to sell you.

You get snow the next day.
I wonder if they were 500 pound bomb shaped flakes?

Lets bomb africa it needs rainfall and snow to!

[edit on 11-1-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
NWOmaskedman: huh? what do bombs have to do with snow? or africa?

i'm reminded of a lewis black sketch about a horse and going to college...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
So if you drop 40,000 bombs killing more mothers and sisters you make more terrorist who dont care anymore and suicide bomb cause there family was killed.

Not cause they get 50 virgins Media hype bs.If you actually believe that I got a bridge to sell you.

You get snow the next day.
I wonder if they were 500 pound bomb shaped flakes?

Lets bomb africa it needs rainfall and snow to!

[edit on 11-1-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

Nice attempt to deflect and grossly stretch the truth while you're at it.

Example: it was 40,000 pounds of bombs - which if they used 2,000 lb bombs comes out to like 20 bombs, not 40,000. Also, you forgot to mention the little girl's birthday party being bombed.

People, it is just a weather fluke - no more, no less. Now, if a trend develops with snow in the middle east, that would be news.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The planet has a fever!

Becker

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Am i wrong or did the usa just drop 40,000 BOMBS not pounds on baghdad 2 days ago

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOmaskedman

The military dropped more ordinance than that in the beginning of the war. Where was the snow then?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Mate, I'm still not sure if it's 40,000 BOMBS or 40,000 POUND BOMBS. But yes, that was reported directly on the news.

(Why make it to the news about that, anyway? The war has no rules, right?)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well whoever is responsible for this rare snowfall in Baghdad, He (or She) sure made the citizens happy to look at the skies for a change, since they are used to watch airplanes and helicopters flying and bombs falling. Watching snow fall sure is calming...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

There's 20,000 other 'bash USA' topics, including one that deals specifically with the 40,000 pounds of bombs.

Please head to that direction for your flames and keep this one about cold/cool weather.

Back on topic, Reuters is reporting the same link to La Niña as the potential cause of this snowfall.

Last year was among the six warmest years since records began in the 1850s and the British Met Office said last week that 2008 will be the coolest year since 2000, partly because of a La Nina event that cuts water temperatures in the Pacific.

Source

AFP has a more detailed explanation:

"Snow has fallen in Baghdad for the first time in about a century as a result of two air flows meeting," said a statement by the meteorology department.

"The first one was cold and dry and the second one was warm and humid. They met above Iraq."

Source

Weather gone mad, indeed!

Another possible link: Earth getting wetter and stickier

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well clearly there are two causes for this mess.

The freezing temperatures are obviously caused by global warming in cahoots with the nefarious plans of George Bush.

I'm glad I could clear that up.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Thanks for the factual information. Lets all accept my theory that the hotter it is on earth, the colder we get.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Global Warming? Climate change?

Or more of Bush's meddling in the Middle East?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
Am i wrong or did the usa just drop 40,000 BOMBS not pounds on baghdad 2 days ago

You are wrong on two counts. It was 40,000 pounds of bombs and it wasn't on Baghdad.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
AMBARANIYAH, Iraq -- U.S. bombers and jet fighters unleashed 40,000 pounds of explosives within 10 minutes Thursday in one of the biggest airstrikes of the war, flattening what the military called al-Qaida in Iraq safe havens on the southern outskirts of the capital Baghdad.

www.chinapost.com.tw...

40,000 pounds is a mess load no matter how you cut it.

It was Baghdad.

South Boston is still Boston if not Same Cloud Covers Both.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by SevenThunders

Thanks for the factual information. Lets all accept my theory that the hotter it is on earth, the colder we get.

I like the way you think. This must be the finest example of critical thinking that government controlled education has ever produced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join