It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World economy threatened by U.S. slowdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

World economy threatened by U.S. slowdown

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Global investors are losing hope that Europe's economy can sidestep a possible U.S. recession, and even fast-growing Asia may not be immune.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know there are a great many readers here from England and Europe. I'd just like to know how the economy is effecting you directly and what, if any, solutions you are finding.

Fuel, though on the rise, is not high enough to cause most people to change their habits. However, food, especially raw foods, fruit, vegetables and such are about 24% higher here than they were in April of last year. Our health insurance rates continue to rise, the amount the insurance wants to pay has lessened and yet doctors are increasing the costs for office visits and treatments. Natuaral gas has shown a slight decline but cost of electricity has gone up 10% in my area.

Just curious to hear how everyone else is doing.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Not affected yet, here in Malaysia. At the same time, my family is doing brisk business trading gold, and the declining Dollar is making the deals even sweeter.

But I would imagine it would start to affect people here soon. The US is our country's top trading partner.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
We're doing quite well in the Gold market also. Of course, my 401K is taking some hits and that' going to be painful but I've seen the majority of rising costs at the grocery market.

I think a recession is unavoidable. The question is, are they going to tell us about it or do we have to dig for it.

From Reuters.com today-

U.S. recession worries hit crude prices

Former U.S. Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers said on Thursday the chance of a U.S. recession was more than 50 percent.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I would imagine that as the world moves towards globalization the other countries would be more economically independant. If not then shame on them.

new topics

top topics

join