It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Good Man Leaves Dems Primaries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Bill Richardson, who served as United Nations ambassador and energy secretary in the Clinton administration, drew 5 percent of the vote in Tuesday's New Hampshire primary. He received 2 percent in last week's Iowa caucuses, far behind leading Democrats Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards.

As the Latino governor of a swing state, Richardson was interviewed as a possible running mate for Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry in 2004, but told reporters he remained committed to finishing his term as governor. He won a second term in 2006. He said he raised about $22 million during his year long campaign - far short of the $100 million-plus claimed by Clinton, the Democratic winner in New Hampshire. "Despite overwhelming financial and political odds, I am proud of the campaign we waged," he said. And another good man bows out. From CNNPolitical.com website.

I like Bill Richardson. He has that kind of personality. New Mexico has 5 electoral votes. New Mexico is one of only three states which swung between 2000 (Dem) and 2004 (GOP). The vote count in ‘04 was, for Bush 376,930 (49.8%) and for Kerry 370,942 (49.05%). Ralph Nader's 4,903 (0.43%), unlike his '00 Florida 63,000 votes, did not play a role in the outcome of NM. It makes sense to me that New Mexico is in play this year. The Dems have a good chance to carry what could be the decisive state.

Richardson a Vice President? I figure the VP nomination will be between Obama and Richardson. I also figure Clinton will be the winner. She will have to offer the VP slot to Obama FIRST. If he refuses - it is a tradition that you do not refuse the offer - then Hilary will easily fall back on Richardson.

While either man would be an asset, I think Obama is the more logical choice for VP as a reward for faithful voting for Dems by blacks since 1933.

[edit on 1/11/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

HRC, if she gets the nomination, will not tap Obama for VP. That would put her campaign in the unique position of being a DOUBLE minority platform. Unfortunatly, that is still a negative in the USA in the year 2008. Richardson is also a minority candidate but he doesnt carry quite the stigma of Obama. Still, either of these men are unlikely picks.

Expect a HRC vp running mate to come from outside the currrent campaigns. My money says Murtha would be a good choice. Insiders think Evan Bayh is in the running

[edit on 11-1-2008 by pavlovsdog]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
this topic was already posted 1 day before

Richardson calls it quits

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pavlovsdog

HRC, if she gets the nomination, will not tap Obama for VP. That would put her campaign in the unique position of being a DOUBLE minority platform. Unfortunately, that is still a negative in the USA in the year 2008.

I argued that same point for a long time. It’s going to be a push to get the voters to take a woman, and an even bigger push to get them to accept a black who wold be “a heartbeat” away from the presidency. With Hillary’s high “don’t like” polls, it is not inconceivable some kook would take a shot at her.

And then came IOWA. Followed by NH! Obama is no fluke. He is substantial. He has energized the young people and they say, the Dems intellectuals. Hmm?

So now I have to consider how 38 million African Americans would perceive her winning the nomination but not asking the first GENUINE black candidate to go along for the ride! We Dems cannot do that. When everyone else falls away, the black vote is always there. Uh uh, that must be rewarded. It MUST. I would risk the best chance the Dems will have for a generation to win the White House in order to acknowledge the debt the Dems owe America's blacks! It's payback time!

Richardson is also a minority candidate but he doesn’t carry quite the stigma of Obama. Still, either of these men are unlikely picks. Expect a HRC vp running mate to come from outside the current campaigns. My money says Murtha would be a good choice.

I like him! John Patrick Murtha is 2 years older than I. First elected in 1974, from PA’s 12th district - the deep southwest corner near WVa - Johnstown being the largest city. He also has many suburbs of Pittsburgh. Johnstown is perhaps best known for the "Great Flood" of May 31, 1889 which occurred after the South Fork Dam collapsed 14 miles upstream during heavy rains. At least 2,209 people died in the calamity. Murtha is now in his 32nd year in Congress. He holds the #2 post in the House as Majority Leader.

Murtha first ran for Congress in a special election in October 1973. Murtha won by 122 votes, making him the first Vietnam veteran to serve in Congress. Reminds me of “Landslide Lyndon” of Texas. Johnson had been in Congress since 1938. He felt he had to get out of the House and into the Senate if he was to be a major player. He risked his political career on one more run for the Senate in 1948. Johnson won the election by 87 highly disputed votes and forever after was known as “Landslide Lyndon.”

But John is altogether too old to be Vice President. Alben Barkley, Truman's VP in 1949-1953, was 66 + when he took office and was regarded as very old. Besides, VPs do not get to make earmarks!

The 22 most corrupt members of Congress
* Sen. Pete V. Domenici (R-NM)
* Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
* Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
* Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK)
* Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
* Rep. John T. Doolittle (R-CA)
* Rep. Tom Feeney (R-FL)
* Rep. Doc Hastings (R-WA)
* Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA)
* Rep. William J. Jefferson (D-LA)
* Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)