It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Drug to End Drug Addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

A Drug to End Drug Addiction

www.time.com

What if science made a pill to protect us from addiction — keeping us from smoking cigarettes, getting fat or abusing drugs and alcohol? According to encouraging results from several lines of study, it seems that day may be closer than we thought. Researchers in labs around the world are now developing vaccines (not a pill, but an injection) to inoculate people against dangerously addictive substances such as coc aine, heroin and methamphetamine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This has the potential to be very promising, but also bad at the same time. If people have a pill or injection that won't allow them to become addicted, won't they still do the drug knowing that they won't have to be dependent on it? The scary part about this for me is that they ponder the issue of vaccinizing children early on against addiction.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

in a sense its comical drugs to help drugs, taking drugs to stop drugs

thats one for the books

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You know, it was once thought that coc aine was a cure for alcoholism. Point being, a drug to end drug addiction sounds a little oxymoronic.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I remember seeing years ago, they said they had a injection to stop people getting a reaction to coc aine. Your brain would not react to the drug, after the injection.

Never heard about it again.

Roll on the zombie state.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Evil always comes disguised as good, then when evil finally reveals itself, it's too late.

Human beings have a God given right of "free will", the right to choose between good and bad. That constant battle, if you will, is what allows us to better ourselves and to become more enlightened.

Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is classic, instead of using more natural approaches to helping those with addiction (look up ibogaine) they would rather use this TA-CD which is

While most foreign substances in the body trigger an immune-system defense, many illegal drugs, like coc aine, fail to do so because their molecules are too small; they slip into the brain unnoticed and unchallenged. But by attaching them to larger proteins — in the case of TA-CD, an inactivated cholera protein that has been widely tested and is unlikely to cause side effects, according to researchers

So in other words, although its unlikely that it will cause side effects, it may just do that.

IMO, nature provides many of the addicting substances (outside of synthesized compounds like crack or methamphetamines) and it also provides a way to beat those addictions.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Like InSpiteof said in post, if there were no detrimental side-effects, this would be great for people who have continually struggled with addiction.

My father took a certain rheumatoid arthritic medication for some time and one of the "rare" side-effects of the medication was Lymphoma, which he developed and two years died from.

I questioned the doctor if his Lymphoma came from the medication and he exclaimed, "That is not possible!" Then why do they say on the commercials...."in rare cases Lymphoma has occurred/"

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

That is one thing to look out for; the side effects. You know there has to be a long list just like every other drug out there. Should be interesting to see what comes out. I want to see the clinical trials of this vaccine as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Bah even the clinical trials arent trust worth. Dont forget the BS surrounding SSRI's and the teenaged mind.

Frankly i wonder what this vaccine will do to the opiate and seratonin receptor sites of the brain. Even though the premis of the vaccine is to make the drug seem like an invading force (to the immune system) I foresee issues with overactive receptor sites in those that have not even taken an addictive drug.

But that is pure speculation on my part and I have no medical reason to think so...just a gut feeling.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think the idea of a drug to end addiction is a bit deceiving for a couple reasons. The main problem I see is that there are more than one form of addiction, there is chemical addiction like an addiction to heroin but there is also a psychological addiction which can apply to almost anything at all.

What keeps me from getting addicted to drugs is knowing far too many people who have ended up that way. Seeing the absolute hell their life turns into and how it destroys almost every semblance of the person you knew will definitely keep you off drugs.

I'm personally tired of hearing about another pill to cure an issue that should otherwise be a matter of personal responsibility. Might as well just have us all wear diapers and get it over with.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
More miracle Vaccine that will have your eyes bleed and grow hair your arms and legs to fall off and testicular cancer.

But hey im free of drug addiction thnk you big pharma you win again thnk you.

do yourself a favor DO not get these shots. nothing can replace strong will power and commen sense there is no shot for that.

HPV miracle vaccine killed how many women. Caused them to lose there platlits unable to clot blead. They ended up bleeding out through all there orfaces.

The blood was so thin it seeped out through patients tear ducts.

Nasty stuff screw all vaccine sill take my chances.

I dont care if they come out with a superman vaccine!

Do yourself a favor educate your child on drugs dont give him more mercury and god knows what else.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

[edit on 11-1-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman

HPV miracle vaccine killed how many women. Caused them to lose there platlits unable to clot blead. They ended up bleeding out through all there orfaces.

The blood was so thin it seeped out through patients tear ducts.

You got a source for that?

I know those shots are highly contested, but ive never heard about ebola like symptons as a result of the shot.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
From the original article above:

Using the cholera bacterium as a vector is a crucial tweak in design; it allows the coc aine vaccine to sidestep the potential viral syndrome associated with other vaccines, such as Cytos's experimental anti-nicotine vaccine, which is delivered via virus, Kosten says. And because coc aine addiction is most severe in Western countries where cholera is not a threat and where the cholera vaccine is not widely administered, most people do not yet have natural immunity. "Most Americans don't have antibodies to cholera," Kosten says.

Using the Cholera bacterium?

V. cholerae is a Gram-negative bacterium that produces cholera toxin, an enterotoxin, whose action on the mucosal epithelium lining of the small intestine is responsible for the characteristic massive diarrhoea of the disease

Plus, 'being twice as likely as a placebo to reduce use by 50%' is no cure or preventative. It's hardly above experimental error.

These people, husband-and-wife team Dr. Thomas Kosten, a psychiatry professor, and Therese Kosten, might be well-meaning, but they're one fry short of a happy meal if you ask me.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hmm.. a drug to end addiction? I find this very hard to believe. Maybe to help curb cravings, but to end it.. id have to say bullocks. The day they are able to find a cure for the physical aspect of addiction, they will be hailed as miracle workers - but for now, its like trying to duct tape the san andreas fault back together.

Addiction is a very broad term, covering both psycological and physical aspects. Lets take a look at how this drug fails to address any drug that users experience withdrawal from.

For a heroin addict who is addicted to diacetylmorphine and has been using this substance for a substantial period of time, his BODY becomes addicted. This is not the same as someone who craves a drug. What actually happens is your brain gets used to you administering your own foreign chemical that raises levels of dopamine within the brain. So now, your brain decides since your already producing your own foreign source of dopamine, there is no need for it to produce that chemical itself.

Now, over time these pathways that used to produce the dopamine die off. When a regular user abruptly stops using whatever chemical that is an artificial source of dopamine - this is where you get withdrawal from. Due to your bodys inability to produce its own dopamine at this point, the user experiences flu like symptoms, cold sweats, goose flesh, irregular sleep patterns, depression, and many other uncomfortable feelings.

It takes time for these pathways to rebuild themselves. That is why it takes approximately four to seven days before withdrawal effects subside - sometimes taking even up to three months before a user is back to normal brain functioning. Some chemicals such as L-Tyrosine has been proven to help with the rebuilding of these pathways but there is no instant fix.

Now, unless they have found a miracle pill that will somehow automatically rebuild these pathways and stimulate your brain into producing dopamine on a normal scale, they do not have a cure. Even though this example deals with opiate based chemicals in particular, it goes to show that there is no cure for physical withdrawal symptoms, which are the reason most addicts cannot stop.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Here is a bit of an article relating to deaths by HPV vaccine.

n just little over a year, the HPV vaccine has been associated with at least five deaths, not to mention thousands of reports of adverse effects, hundreds deemed serious, and many that required hospitalization.

HPV vaccine deaths

I work at a facility that employs the research doc that had a major hand in this vaccine. He is now having his own building constructed on our campus just for virology studies. Read the rest of the article as it speeks of moneys exchanging hands. Pretty controversial.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Well see I understand that the vaccine is dangerous, Ive even warned colleagues away from it. I just never heard it can create Ebola like symptoms, and so far, that claim is still unsubstantiated.

Either way, thanks for the link

BTW are you a rage against the machine fan?

[edit on 12-1-2008 by InSpiteOf]

new topics

join