It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faeces-throwing prisoner apologises to magistrate after beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Faeces-throwing prisoner apologises to magistrate after beating

www.trinidadexpress.com

Prisoner Tyrone Clarke was on Wednesday sentenced to one year, six months and 28 days hard labour, for throwing human faeces at a Port of Spain magistrate on January 8.

Clarke, 46, stood before Magistrate Adrian Darmanie in the Third Court, charged with assaulting Magistrate Michelle Maharajh-Brown, throwing missiles at police prosecutor Sgt Ian Carty, assaulting police constable Matthew Bellingy and assaulting Carty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
From my understanding, the courts in Trinidad aren't the nicest places to be, but this takes it to a whole other level. Talk about unexpected.

However, the guy sounds extremely apologetic and really sad about what he did. Of course this is after the beating he incurred from the attack. Although this man did throw human feces at a magistrate, I don't think it's necessarily right to beat him for it. Once he's subdued, anything past that is police brutality. Not to say that I wouldn't whoop him if he threw poop on me, I'm not a court officer.

What do you think? Police Brutality?

www.trinidadexpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The demented and mentally ill often throw feces and other body fluids at people, as normally they are in custody and have no other weapons at their disposal but want to express rage and or cannot control themselves. Drunks and others wasted beyond reason do it also at times.

However, no matter HOW disgusting the act, the police are NOT supposed to administer PUNISHMENT at any time or for any reason. They are supposed to use the MINIMUM level of force needed to pacify the situation and place the subject under arrest. To beat anyone is a travesty of justice, and no circumstances justify it..none. I do not care if the most heinous criminal in the world is caught, that person deserves DUE PROCESS and humane treatment, lest the accusers end up as demented and twisted and guilty as the accused.

Trinidad is NOT a place where the rule of law is worth much. The cops can do basically whatever they please and the peoeple are not able to mount any real protest..most are dirt poor and attorneys for the indigent are almost non-existant. The Islands like Trinidad/tobago are run by the mob's and the smugglers under the radar and the resorts and golf courses that cater to the rich people who fly in and fly out, never seeing the teeming masses of people, oppressed and poor, struggling to survive day to day.

Getting a beating in Trindad means they didn't take you out and shoot you in the head and throw you to the crabs on some deserted knoll. Most of the residents would consider the guy lucky to be alive.

But all this is happening right here in the good old USA; you do NOT have to look far in America to find many horrid examples of police brutality and beatings and murder, etc. It happens all the tims, the cop's get away with it mostly, unless they screw up and leave witnesses alive or get caught on film. typical conduct from ' professional ' lawmen. Totally wrong but it will be ignored.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

The beating was essentially glossed over in the article like it was no big deal. It wasn't even in the original headline. I found it to be the most upsetting part of the story, but the article made it seem like it was nothing. As a matter of fact, Tyrone spoke of it as if it was commonplace and nothing to dwell on. Although he refused to say the officer's name who beat him for fear of another beating, or worse.

top topics

join