It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons, your advice is needed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmmeat

Originally posted by Trinityman
For example in the UK, as in the US, one has to ask rather than be asked.

Now wait a minute. I read on another thread (I was corrected, actually) that in the U.K. to become a Mason you have to be invited, and that the 2B1ASK1 thing was strictly U.S. based.

I'm not disagreeing with you ... I'm just seeking, err, "further light." (I couldn't figure out how to say "clarification" in a Masonic way).

Your pal,
Meat.

That's exactly what I meant by well-intentioned misinformation. Freemasonry in the UK is in some respects dramatically different from the US - you can forget all of that stuff about 33 degree freemasons, Scottish & York Rites etc. But in other ways it is the same, and that is one of them.

I don't believe there is anywhere in the world where regular freemasonry is 'invitation only'. That rather goes against the whole ethos of the Craft IMO.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
But I am currently at University, will that be a problem?

Commitment will be a tough thing when dealing with exams.

No it wont, not to much.

I joined when I was 20, in college, working every hour I can.. (still technically in college) and I am on officer in my lodge.

I say go for it, you have nothing to loose what so ever. If its not for you, you are under no obligation to come back. also, there is no required number of meetings you must be apart of, so if you cannot make a meeting, it is prefered you let someone know of course, but you are not obligated to be there. Unless your an officer. Of course, it is strongly suggested you be an active member, but we understand life happens.

It is an experience that, reading quite a lot of what you write on ATS, I am sure you will enjoy. I say go out on a limb mate, go into the unknown and become a Mason, the experience will change you, for the better, and you will only take happy memories and good friends with you. I have never met someone who "was disappointed" by Masonry.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

For example in the UK, as in the US, one has to ask rather than be asked.

Now wait a minute. I read on another thread (I was corrected, actually) that in the U.K. to become a Mason you have to be invited, and that the 2B1ASK1 thing was strictly U.S. based.

I'm not disagreeing with you ... I'm just seeking, err, "further light." (I couldn't figure out how to say "clarification" in a Masonic way).

Your pal,
Meat.

That's exactly what I meant by well-intentioned misinformation. Freemasonry in the UK is in some respects dramatically different from the US - you can forget all of that stuff about 33 degree freemasons, Scottish & York Rites etc. But in other ways it is the same, and that is one of them.

I don't believe there is anywhere in the world where regular freemasonry is 'invitation only'. That rather goes against the whole ethos of the Craft IMO.

Well, then, there ya go. I had it right all along. I could do my 'I Was Right" dance, but I'm pretty sure no one here wants to see that.

But explain to me about forgetting about the Scottish and York rites. I know that the Shrine is an American creation, and the Scottish Rite is split into Northern and Southern Jurisdictions in the U.S. ... but I thought that the York Rite was (more or less) the 'umbrella" Rite that was similar to the Mark Man/Mark Master, Holy Royal Arch, Council of Royal and Select Masters and the Knights Templar degrees?

how different are these (other than not being grouped together) from the U.S.?

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well, then, there ya go. I had it right all along. I could do my 'I Was Right" dance, but I'm pretty sure no one here wants to see that.

No actually, you go right ahead do your "I was right" dance. In all likelihood it's pretty similar to my "yeah and I helped too and aren't we clever" shoe-shuffle. Just make sure you keep the bathroom door closed.

But explain to me about forgetting about the Scottish and York rites. I know that the Shrine is an American creation, and the Scottish Rite is split into Northern and Southern Jurisdictions in the U.S. ... but I thought that the York Rite was (more or less) the 'umbrella" Rite that was similar to the Mark Man/Mark Master, Holy Royal Arch, Council of Royal and Select Masters and the Knights Templar degrees?

how different are these (other than not being grouped together) from the U.S.?

Your pal,
Meat.

In a nutshell, all the degrees are pretty much there, but all in a different order. Scottish Rite exists in England under a different name, the degrees in the York rite are all spread out and mixed up like a veritable smorgasboard of degree work.

The key difference is that the York and Scottish Rites are two mega-masonic organizations, and offer two routes for a Master Mason after Raising. In the UK no such structure exists - degrees are managed differently and consequently a "masonc career" is completely different.

The names York Rite, Scottish Rite, Blue Lodge and Albert Pike are completely unknown to English masonry.

And yes, you are right about the Shrine. The OES is actually banned in England as a quasi-masonic organization (but curiously not in Scotland), and the whole DeMolay Job Rainbow kiddie-thing doesn't exist at all. As an English freemason living in the US the misquote "it's freemasonry Jim, but not as we know it" seems to apply from both perspectives.

I'm sure I can dig out a structure of English freemasonry if you're interested, and I would recommend Beyond the Craft for some further study.

Now... about that dance...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The lodge was closed today, but I've wrote a long, kind e-mail asking for an opportunity to visit them next week and have a discussion with them
I'm very excited now to be honest.

From researching, I believe its not "to be one, ask one".

I shall keep you masons posted, especially the UK guys

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
btw, is there like a masonic religious book I can purchase or does something like that does not exist?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
Why dont you join and become an "undercover ATS agent" ?

You can then report to all at ATS about what really goes on in masonry.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

That has to be the BEST advice I have heard all day! Great Mind working there!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H
Why dont you join and become an "undercover ATS agent" ?

You can then report to all at ATS about what really goes on in masonry.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H]

Sounds good, you can join and tell them what all Masons have been saying forever, that it is a beneficial, socially concious, charitable organization that enriches you deeply as a person,and that is "what really goes on".

Best of luck if you do join, I work a lot of hours, and am most likely going back to school soon,and I am able to hold an office,(though it does take a bit of juggling my schedule), if you don't end up taking a chair (office) in your lodge, then once you get your degree work done, you are really looking at one night a month,and many lodges take a couple months off in the summer.If you decide to join realistically you are looking at once a week for a month,(there is a bit of memorization,etc to pass to the next degree)and an additional night when your degrees are bestowed upon you for three months,then it is basically just one meeting a month.

If you are genuinely interested and your time schedule permits it, then by all means go for it.I can say joining is one decision that I will never regret.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masonica_esoterica

University can be VERY busy, I'm just worried I cannot keep up
Some UK members, and others from the States, have said this isn't a problem

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

No, sorry mate there is no "religious" book for Masonry..

There are plenty of books on Masonry its self at book stores and libraries.. and a wealth of information (though hard to sort through) on the internet.

When you join and learn degree work you will be given little books with your lecture. After that when you become an officer you will be given a little book with all the rituals in them.

Perhaps if you describe the exact information your looking for, we can point you in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I've been reading the Allied Degree - Constitutions and Regulations, which is very interest. But it's on the sample pages.

I'm less nervous now, extremely excited about the prospect of the future now

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite.

I'm less nervous now, extremely excited about the prospect of the future now

Have you had a look at the UGLE website? The Book of Constitutions is available on-line, and I also see they have a section on University freemasonry.

If you want to let me know which lodge, or which province you are looking at I can get you some more information.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
got a quetion for you. in the masons is there such thing as, now stick with me, a painted OR tattooed man? in manchester, england were i work. there is a lode not for from my place of employment. there is a guy who is head to toe covered in tatts. always goes to the lodge in one of the best suits ive ever seen. and has a slim black breif case with a brass masons symbol on it. whats this about?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Trinityman

I'm from Canterbury.

I've contacted the masonic library+museum, the general office.

Information on the lodges in Canterbury, would be grateful, the Province of East Kent has given me wonders.

Thank you for the link, it's been my main reading source all day

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
hey that ugle site take a look at the top of their coat of arms. its the box out of iniana jones!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by darktim
got a quetion for you. in the masons is there such thing as, now stick with me, a painted OR tattooed man? in manchester, england were i work. there is a lode not for from my place of employment. there is a guy who is head to toe covered in tatts. always goes to the lodge in one of the best suits ive ever seen. and has a slim black breif case with a brass masons symbol on it. whats this about?

He is a freemason attending a meeting with his regalia case. The fact he has a lot of tattoos is entirely incidental, and this is great news for all those heavily tattooed people wondering if they can become freemasons or not.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I went and dug this up for you Infiniti:

video.google.com...

I cant get it in the page for some reason, but that is the link to the Google page.

It was produce in Yorkshire (I think) England and represents if I am not mistaken a real Worshipful Master degree .. just something to watch, maybe gleam something from it.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thank you so much!

Very interesting video

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

YA no problem, it was one of the first "real" videos produced by real Masons when I was looking to join. Of course I then found out American Masonry is very different then UK Masonry. Ah well.... One day I will go to the UK and my UK Brothers will have to show me around!

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
[Mod Edit: Please see Terms and Conditions of Use. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 17/1/08 by JAK]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join