It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran dominates Republican presidential debate in conservative South Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Iran dominates Republican presidential debate in conservative South Carolina

www.timesonline.co.uk

Mr Huckabee has faced grave doubts about his foreign policy experience, but got one of the biggest cheers of the night when asked about the incident last week when Iranian boats swarmed US navy ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

Mr Huckabee said he backed [Navy Captains] decisions, before warning Iran: "Be prepared, first, to put your sights on the American vessel. And then be prepared that the next thing you see will be the gates of Hell, because that is exactly what you will see after that."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Iran is still on the table here. More warmongering...

I was actually starting to like Huckabee, now he's just the same as McCain and Romney in my eyes.

So..the Republican candidates are trying to 'get tough' on Iran and it seems the ignorant public is buying it.

I find it funny how war sells, but peace doesn't. Democrats you are just as bad, don't get me started about how you didn't follow through on your promise of ending the Iraq war.

Democrats=cowards, Republicans=assholes

Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor, said: "I think an incident like this reminds us that we shouldn't be lulled into some false sense of confidence about Iran."

Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor seeking to become America's first Mormon president, said: "I believe it was a very serious act."

Fred Thompson, the former Tennessee senator and Law & Order star who is banking all on victory in South Carolina to revive his campaign, said of the Iranian boat crews: "I think one more step and they would have been introduced to those virgins that they're looking forward to seeing." The crowd cheered.

All the candidates are war mongering, but only Huckabee went so far as to actively harass the Iranian people.

Nice one guys

'Strength through peace' right?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You do realize how politics works right? NC is a conservative state. These places are polled to death to find the top issues of who they will be speaking to. They do not decide what the main topics will be, the people do and they prepare answers that they weigh will be favorable to the audience, within their own framework of their own political history (lest they be called a flip flopper).
Florida may very well have other top issues different than the last state and so on. By the time two candidates get to the general election they will be boxed in on how to respond to every issue imaginable. There will be no suprises by then, only each persons passion at the podium and money in the coffers for good ole attacks when not on the stump.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I’m no Huckabee supporter by any means but I agree with what he said in regards to the incident involving Iran. I would also rather be an ass then a coward.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JadePhoenix

Don't worry, your words speak miles about your personality. No one else has to call you a ass.

Not wanting to invade a foreign country for bull# reasons doesn't make you a coward, but that is a whole different topic...

SectionEight, I understand where SOUTH Carolina is, I have family down there thank you.

Regardless, no more wars should be started. Did you all forget we are still occupying Afghanistan and Iraq? Or was that last weeks news?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Greetings biggie small

Regardless, no more wars should be started

We are only fighting one war, and that’s the war on terrorism. Iraq and Afghanistan are two different fronts of the same war. Just like in WWII we had two fronts one in Europe and one in the Pacific. If Iran wats to provoke us they should be ready for the consequences of their actions.

Don't worry, your words speak miles about your personality. No one else has to call you a ass.

That's funny

[edit on 14-1-2008 by JadePhoenix]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JadePhoenix

you did see the iranian video didn`t you? for some reason the words spoken and lip read are different than on the american video

the IAEA are 20 days from giving the final thumbs up for the second iranian nuclear reactor - the only ones with a problem with this is Israel (as they hate iran as israel percieve a threat - and no he never said wipe off the face of the earth either) and the USA which constantly have belittled iran since they threw out the US puppet in 1979.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The only way we need to be going to war with Iran is if they attack us...this policy of attacking because someone does a little smack talking has to end. The Taliban/Al Queda attacked us on 9/11 so we attacked back thats fine. You can leave the debate on if our government knew or had something to do with it on other threads but for this purpose we were attacked. Now a little hypocracy on my part because I was for the war in Iraq when it started but now Im starting to see how the world works and how corrupt everything is and Im for finishing what we started and getting the hell out of there. Iran once again for this threads purpose should not be attacked unless they attack us..

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Iran is still on the table here. More warmongering...

Not that I am defending the republicans nor the democrats, but I think you are making a leap in logic. You think that if the US Navy opened fire on the Iranians that would automatically start a war. Not necessarily, because we have already done that in the past. I'm sure you have seen the video and read some of the other discussions on this topic and IMO, it is clear the Iranians were the instigators. The whole incident could have been avoided if the Iranians did not swarm the boats.

The last thing I want is to start another war, and our foreign policy is wrong, but defending your self is not war mongering. I do agree that it is not something the candidates should be joking about.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So your saying if there ships were at our coast we shouldn't swarm them and or ask them to identify them selfs?

Seems a little hypocritical don't ya think?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mindless

The ships were in International waters going through regular shipping lanes that they have been protecting for decades. Why do the Iranians feel they have the right to swarm a boat in International waters just because of garbled communications?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Greeting Harlequin

To be honest I didn’t see the Iranian video, I only saw the U.S. version. You’re still on the wipe off the face of the earth statement? All I am going to say is time will tell who is right about Iran, Bush/Israel or the IAEA on Iran’s intentions with nuclear power.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by JadePhoenix]

new topics

top topics

join