It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countdown to the Television Blackout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well, we're slowly inching closer and closer to a television black out. This is not good, at all!

The Writers Guild of America strike is entering Week 9, and more and more reruns are populating our screens as networks run out of new material.

The core issue, of course, is that screenwriters want a bigger cut of DVD sales and Internet downloads. But until writers and major studios can come to an agreement, viewers will just have to sit idly by as favourite shows dwindle into an abyss of nothingness. (Can you tell I’m seriously bummed?)

Here’s an update of how many new episodes of series are left, courtesy of our friends at TVGuide.com. (Note: not all shows are included, since some information wasn’t available at press time.)

Blackout Countdown

On the link provided, you can see a list of all of your favorite shows and see how many are still remaining. Most shows are down to the nitty gritty, while a few still have a handful of weeks left. What the hell are we going to do?

Football is winding down, baseball hasn't started yet, you can barely find a game of hockey on television... can you imagine if the internet went down? I think some of us may go crazy.

I really hope this strike ends sooner rather than later. But recent reports state that they are not even close to a deal yet.

Agh!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Yeah, but just think of all the extra US election coverage they can put on for all the missing shows...

What a joy for us all to behold.

Give the writers their 5c for each dvd or whatever they heck the want, just bow down to a striking mob, They've got George Cloney and the cast of scrubs on their side... What chance do these big Studios have ... or ... Sack the lot of them and hire new staff. Oh no you can't do that, someone might cry and claim unfair dismissal!

The whole thing stinks of stupidity!

MonKey

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I think its a conspiracy. Next, the government will be airing their propaganda on all the networks (because there's nothing to see)....

Well, its a possibility.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
as long as i get my last three episodes of bones and house, i don't give a frig...
know what i mean...house is teh poan

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I rarely watch TV.So this is no biggie for me.Go to the library guys.Expand your mind a bit more.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
IMO this will be a good thing! Now don't get me wrong I love some shows (House, Heroes) but with out T.V. people will FINALY get off the freaking coutch and break our addictions to the "brain melter". I for one will embrace this as a good thing!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetsujin420
IMO this will be a good thing! Now don't get me wrong I love some shows (House, Heroes) but with out T.V. people will FINALY get off the freaking coutch and break our addictions to the "brain melter". I for one will embrace this as a good thing!

Of course we all realize that we will just be spending more time here.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I doubt I will spend more time here..considering I am ALWAYS HERE! I may not post much, but im here
. Even if we do end up spending more time here, its still a heck of a lot better then watching mind numbing nothing! (IMO)

[edit on 11-1-2008 by tetsujin420]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsujin420

tis true...an hour of melting your brain watching the boob tube, is an hour you will never get back.How many hours do you figure the average person spends in front of the TV? What else could or should they be doing with those hours?
Mind control at it's finest my friends.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well, depending where ya live...the weather isnt all that favorable to be hanging outside in liu of lack of 'fake' television. I propose rather than throw more Tila Tequila and other garbage that they are going to swamp us with in the way of reality tv, they should replay the 80's greats. Like the A-Team, Dukes of Hazard, Laverne & Shirley (I know thats 70's), oh and howbout "V" ?.... my 2c..........

spikeD

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

This is what books are for. Pick one up and surprise yourself. Time will cease to exist. You'll be immersed in another world and living an adventure you never dreamed of before.

Television: The worst thing to happen to man in his entire history.

Books: The best thing to happen to man in his entire history.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I rarely watch TV.So this is no biggie for me.Go to the library guys.Expand your mind a bit more.

Hooray for AccessDenied!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
BIG BROTHER

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
reply to post by chissler

This is what books are for. Pick one up and surprise yourself. Time will cease to exist. You'll be immersed in another world and living an adventure you never dreamed of before.

Television: The worst thing to happen to man in his entire history.

Books: The best thing to happen to man in his entire history.

There ya go, you are right in saying that...my wife and I were just commenting on last night on how weird it is that we are both reading after the kids are asleep.... I do miss reading tho, so I guess perhaps it may be a good thing after all.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
PrplHrt, actually I read all of the time. I tend to go through a book once every couple of weeks, depending on how hectic my work schedule gets. Just because I enjoy television and regularly have a filled DVR, doesn't mean I don't read.

I'm still plugging away on "The Book of Fate" which has been somewhat enjoyable thus far, and I've got "The Godfather's Revenge" lined up next. Cheesy title, but I'm interested how they continue the saga.

Reading a book is always better than watching the movie, I agree. But nobody said watching a bit of television was a bad thing.

Either way, this black out is going to bite.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The writers strike is personally affecting me. Being on the fringes of the entertainment industry as an extra/standin in TV and movies here in NM; all the shooting of TV and a lot of the movies are shut down. This is certainly not a high paying job but I need the money anyway, plus this is just a stepping stone for me to get in a position to be hired as a worker behind the camera as a set decorater, grip, painter, carpenter etc. that pays much better. This is Union work and I want to support my writer brothers and sisters but both sides need to make concession for ME.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I love my TV big time and I'll say it loud and proud.

That said, the writers are getting screwed and shouldn't even consider going back to work until they get the royalties they deserve.

This is not unprecedented, after all. Anyone remember the last time writers went on strike because they weren't being paid royalties on a new media?

The year: 1988
The new media: Home Video (VHS and Beta)

And now, twenty years later, the AMPTP is playing the "unproven media" card again...on THE INTERNET? Seriously?

Support your local writer.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
'Lost' will be on (well for eight episodes).

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Support your local writer.

Agreed, 100%.

I'm glad to see the stars stand by them. It's almost comical watching the Late night shows trying to fill air space. Last night Conan had a Tampa Bay Buccaneer cheerleader on explaining how she's a probation officer through the day.

Now that was excitement.

new topics

top topics

join