It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the BIBLE Truth Absolute?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
www.iht.com...

King David's fabled palace: Is this it?

Catacomb Find Boosts Early Christian-Jewish Ties, Study Says

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Ancient biblical waterworks discovered

Wednesday, August 23, 2006;

RAMAT RACHEL, Israel (Reuters) -- Archaeologists in Israel have unearthed an ancient water system which was modified by the conquering Persians to turn the desert into a paradise.

The network of reservoirs, drain pipes and underground tunnels served one of the grandest palaces in the biblical kingdom of Judea.
www.cnn.com...

BERKELEY, CA — Scientists with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and Bar-Ilan University have discovered unusually high concentrations of silver in samples of many different types of pottery from excavations in Jerusalem of the late Second Temple period, the first century BCE (Before the Common Era) through 70 CE (Common Era). This is the first study ever conducted on silver in archaeological ceramics.

www.lbl.gov...
Recently, the edge of a tunnel was discovered in the digs. Archeologists posit that it leads to a pool, originally located next to a garden full of fruit trees, where King David and other kings of the dynasty used to bathe.
www.ynetnews.com...

www.catholicapologetics.net...

Crude early Christian sketch of Christ and Peter found about thirty feet from the tomb of St. Peter.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

Unable to profess their faith openly during Pagan times when Christianity was still not so popular, Christians made use of symbols to express their faith such as the Good Shepherd, the Orante, the monogram of Christ and the fish. The Good Shepherd with a lamb around his shoulders represents Christ and the soul He has saved, the Orante is the praying figure with open arms symbolizing the soul that dwells in divine peace, the monogram of Christ is formed by interlacing the first two letters of the Greek word 'Christòs' meaning Christ and the fish, which is a widespread symbol of Christ. Sometimes one can also see other symbols such as the dove holding an olive branch representing the soul that attained divine peace, the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last letters of the Greek alphabet so as to represent that Christ is the beginning and the end of all things, the anchor as the symbol of salvation and the phoenix, the mythical Arabian bird as a symbol of the resurrection of Christ, being widely used to represent Christian faith.

The People Mentioned In The Bible, And Archeology
Compiled By: Dr. Johnson C. Philip

www.biblicalarcheology.net...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiskey3
The Orthodox King James Version of the Bible is the oldest.....

Codex Vaticanus is the oldest version dating back to the 4th century

king james first published in 1611

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The Bible Unearthed

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology’s New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts

www.bibleandscience.com...

Hungarian archaeologist discovers tablet mentioning Masada's destroyer

www.haaretz.com...

4,000-year-old cemetery uncovered in Jerusalem
www.jpost.com...

Jerusalem Burial Cave Reveals:
Names, Testimonies of First Christians

www.leaderu.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The first coin they found, Barkay said, was one issued during the Jewish revolt that preceded the Roman destruction of the temple in Jerusalem in 70 A.D., imprinted with the Hebrew words “Freedom of Zion.”

The most valuable find so far, Barkay believes, is a clay seal impression discovered last year. Its incomplete Hebrew lettering appears to name Ge’aliyahu, son of Immer. Immer is the name of a family of temple officials mentioned in Jeremiah 20:1.

Ancient Jewish-Christian settlement found in Mishmar David

www.jpost.com...

Vatican archaeologists find tomb believed to be that of Apostle Paul
www.usatoday.com...

'Church of the Ark' found on West Bank
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2006/12/04/wchurch04.xml

www.civilization.ca...

Unearthing the mystery of the priestly city of Nob
www.haaretz.com...

Solomon's Temple Artifacts Found by Muslim Workers
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Anywhere you dig in Jerusalem you are going to find archaeological findings, very conveniently link to Bible sites and stories.

Most of this is due to the fact that Jerusalem was destroyed and rebuilded during many generations by invasions, wars and occupation.

Most of the places found now are not the original bible places because the locations were destroyed by the above reasons.

Jerusalem is a touristic site very much visited by Christians all over the world.

So is good business to tag everything they find during excavations to bible references.

Money talks and faith will go.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Storm...

I think we both forgot what we are discussing....

You seem to have the same curiosity that I have in regards to the Bible. It's funny that we read the same articles,watch the same documentaries on ths subject.

You may look research this as a way to confirm your beliefs as so do I.

Your not a "sheep" and niether am I.

This, I beleive is the healthy way to view the Bible, and only the rest of the world would at least take an interest in what they beleive in, it would be a better place.

If your response to every post on this thread was "BIBLE IS THE TRUTH" then nobody would bother with this discussion. At least there's discussion.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Marg...

I'm sensing that you think the bible is a complete work of fiction.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I do however believe in the INSPIRED WORK of books within the bible.

However the bible itself isn't a truthfilled inspired work.

The Bible isn't absolute truth.

However the bible does contain Inspired works of absolute truth.

Just not in a single package.

Kinda like getting that really good deal in the market place, they often give you alot of crap in with the couple of really good finds that you buy as a lot.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I can really say that the bible is junk. just like chinese whispers things dont come out the same way as it came in. here. Evilbible.com enough evidence to blow the belief of bible out of ur mind. strangely i dont know how to read the bible. stupid numbers

EDIT: If all christians say that God is all loving and peaceful and will wash away humanity's sins then why is he so sinful ? many times in the bible he tells people to rape, and uda sinful things. i think its time to stop dear old god and try washing away ur own sins.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by a-stupid-dvd-case]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by a-stupid-dvd-case
EDIT: If all christians say that God is all loving and peaceful and will wash away humanity's sins then why is he so sinful ? many times in the bible he tells people to rape, and uda sinful things. i think its time to stop dear old god and try washing away ur own sins.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by a-stupid-dvd-case]

Do you have any scriptures or evidence to back this up? Never in my time have I read or heard anything about Jesus Christ, or his father, God, ever doing anything sinful, such as "telling people to rape". Serriously, haven't you ever heard the story of the women who was caught in the act of adultry? Jesus said her sins were forgiven, but "go and sin no more" is what he said. He has never encouraged sin in any way. I'd love to see you come up with a logical explanation as to why God or Jesus would tell someone to sin

Good luck!

Let me guess, your some 16 year old girl who has gone athiest because all the scene kids are doing it, right?

...but don't let me strike you as judgmental

[edit on 023131p://666 by For(Home)Country]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

No at all go back a few pages and read my take of the bible.

The bible can never be dismissed because it's historical value is great.

But the myth and lore mix with that historical value is what can not be taken as absolute truth.

Is a difference there.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

you need to read appendix 30 from bullingers companion bible---i'll just quote a little bit because its too complicated to write it all

quote:the massorah is not contained in the margines of any one ms.when the hebrew text was printed,only the large type in the columns was regarded,and the small type of the massorah was left unheeded in the mss from which the text was taken.

when the translaters came to the printed hebrew text they were destitute of the information contained in the massorah.

in other words the translaters assumed they had the whole hebrew text in their hands which they translated into various languages including english when in fact they DID NOT HAVE ALL what the sopherim had written or what the massorites had access to.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
like i said in a similar thread there aint much truth to it as its been re wrote god knows(lol i made a funny, and he prob does) how many times. wers the truth in that? they say every story has a true beginning. some shread of "real" but am not sure it as in the bible holds much truth. its like most holy books, ace for morals and stories of living good and how to over come harshg times but its just that in my opinion. like an old self help book.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
When I was very young, I found out about the differences between the Bibles of various religions. Today I own 75 bibles, each one different, yet all of their authors insist their bible is the most accurate version of this sacred document.

Recently, after years of research, I successfully located and made contact with a gentleman I fully believe is nearly 2,800 years old. As I started to investigate this man further, I soon realized he was a well known figure found within the Old Testament, Torah, and Koran. I also found a passage within the New Testament that strongly suggests he was personally known by Jesus Christ; which he has confirmed.

I cannot go into all of the details yet about his biblical experiences, but I can tell you his eyewitness accounts found with the Old & New Testaments match closely what is in our current Bibles; with a few minor discrepancies. I can also tell you, from his memories, that these is a significant amount of important information about these biblical figures that was left out of our bible(s). Whether this was intentional or not, I do not know; but it sure sounds like it.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
amazeing!! simply amazeing!! how many people really dont know the bible but are willing to accept it as it is written today, as if god himself handed there version of it to them directly. most dont know that there particular version, and that is all it is, there version, is actually copywrited, with the exception of maybe just one or 2 all the rest are under copy write protection, but also what they dont know, is the requirements for that copy write protection, its called the copywrite derivitive law, which apply's to all literarary works includeing the bible, and no 2 bibles can read exactly the same, that is there must be substantial not minor differences from one to the other in order to recieve copy write protection, i.e. exact same words cannot be used or length of the sentences, or same punctuation and gramar, other wise you violate the others copy write. which is why no 2 bibles read eactly the same, plus add in centuries of editing, and mis-translations due to excepted church doctrine at the time of the translation, as well as elminateing books here and there for the same reasons, and not understanding hebrew and greek euphanism's that a whole lot of the bible is written in and faulty manuscripts, some flat out fraudulent who la! every body has there own pet doctrine that they claim is the truth. and since only the ones who have that copy write protection on there version are allowed to produce and sell that version, then it actually becomes nothing more then a question of money, not what god actually spoke and meant in the original languages, for example ( the word Adam ) in the hebrew actually means white man, to show blood in the face, to blush, rudyy complexion, species of man, plural used in the singular. see strongs exhaustive concordance on biblical words, #119 & #120, so by puting all the definitions together, the bible isnt speaking to man in general, but a particular species of man called adam, in the original hebrew the actuall word used threw out the old testament is not the generally accepted word man and its common definition, but only the word adam is used where it says man, such as instead of son of man, it actually says son of adam in the original hebrew, also the word earth. in hebrew is erets, which only means, land, country, the land you can see, the land beneath your feet, a geographic area, not once in the entire bible, does erets have a global meaning attached to it, only in todays language does or is earth used in that context, which is in-appropiate. and this is a verry verry small fraction of the problems in todays so called bibles and there versions. let alone that words change there original meaning over time, as well as translateing from a false premise which in most cases is already established by church doctrine at the time of the translation, and who!! be to the translater who contradicts established church doctrine when he translates, he might wind up being burnt at the stake as a heritic, especially in times past, today they just ridicule you and throw you out of there main stream denomination and denounce you as being false.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Faith will never go BUT, the closer we come to the coming of Jesus, Faith will be turned INTO SIGHT. This is what is happening now. We have to arrive at the point that men/women, will be without any excuse in their denial.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

the orthadox king james version is not the oldest, predateing it, are the geneva bible, the guttenberg bible, the bishops bible, better check your sources.caradoc1

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I just want to add this scripture to bring up a serious question:

...For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (I Timothy 2:3-4)

If God DESIRES ALL MEN to be saved, do you think He would allow His word (Bible) to be completely distorted to the point that it contains deception and complete confusion?

The only DISTORTION to the word of God has come via the various Interpretations derived FROM the Bible. The Bible is what many are trying to tear down and say century translations have corrupted it's original meaning. This is not so.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

amazeing!! simply amazeing!! how many people really dont know the bible but are willing to accept it as it is written today, as if god himself handed there version of it to them directly. most dont know that there particular version, and that is all it is, there version, is actually copywrited, with the exception of maybe just one or 2 all the rest are under copy write protection, but also what they dont know, is the requirements for that copy write protection, its called the (copywrite derivitive law), which apply's to all literarary works includeing the bible, and no 2 bibles can read exactly the same, that is there must be substantial not minor differences from one to the other in order to recieve copy write protection, i.e. exact same words cannot be used or length of the sentences, or same punctuation and gramar, other wise you violate the others copy write. which is why no 2 bibles read eactly the same, plus add in centuries of editing, and mis-translations due to excepted church doctrine at the time of the translation, as well as elminateing books here and there for the same reasons, and not understanding hebrew and greek euphanism's that a whole lot of the bible is written in and faulty manuscripts, some flat out fraudulent who la! every body has there own pet doctrine that they claim is the truth. and since only the ones who have that copy write protection on there version are allowed to produce and sell that version, then it actually becomes nothing more then a question of money, not what god actually spoke and meant in the original languages, for example ( the word Adam ) in the hebrew actually means white man, to show blood in the face, to blush, rudyy complexion, species of man, plural used in the singular. see strongs exhaustive concordance on biblical words, #119 & #120, so by puting all the definitions together, the bible isnt speaking to man in general, but a particular species of man called adam, and only white people can blush, in the original hebrew the actuall word used threw out the old testament is not the generally accepted word man and its common definition, but only the word adam is used where it says man, such as instead of son of man, it actually says son of adam in the original hebrew, also the word earth. in hebrew is erets, which only means, land, country, the land you can see, the land beneath your feet, a geographic area, not once in the entire bible, does erets have a global meaning attached to it, only in todays language does or is earth used in that context, which is in-appropiate. and this is a verry verry small fraction of the problems in todays so called bibles and there versions. let alone that words change there original meaning over time, as well as translateing from a false premise which in most cases is already established by church doctrine at the time of the translation, and who!! be to the translater who contradicts established church doctrine when he translates, he might wind up being burnt at the stake as a heritic, especially in times past, today they just ridicule you and throw you out of there main stream denomination and denounce you as being false. also the the term serpent as used in the garden of eden story, the word serpent in hebrew is from nacash, meaning seducer,deciever, enchanter, majician,lier, destroyer, expanded to also mean silent, deadly, sneaky, slithering, it didnt really mean a real live snake, as dipicted in paintings and drawings as many have been mis-lead to belive in. but rather the characteristics of the evil one who beguiled eve, that is thourgly seduced her in mind and body. from the greek beguiled, to thourhly seduce, in mind as well as body, sexual overtones connected with it. the early churches actually taught that eve commited adultry with the angel of the garden. which produced cain. and his seed, seed meaning descendents.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
If God DESIRES ALL MEN to be saved, do you think He would allow His word (Bible) to be completely distorted to the point that it contains deception and complete confusion?

The Bible isn't the "word of God". What kind of imputent God do you believe in such that the all knowing and all powerful conscious thought could be placed into a small book written by men?

Your Creator's Father's word is everything everywhere.

According to the "bible". before creation God's word was. Are you trying to tell me that before creation there was a printing press?

The word of God is living. The word of God isn't living upon dead pressed trees, as his Christ was killed upon. God's word is forever living within the minds of men and within the creation, so too God's Christ.

In the begining there was God and God's word was. This was before any BOOK!

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hi Marge, all archaeological digs are not funded by people with a religious agenda,

But I do understand your point,

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join