It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the BIBLE Truth Absolute?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
saying the Bible is full of truths is the same as saying the Bible is full of lies

WE DONT KNOW!

God gave us intelligence and curiosity for a reason. It is healthy to question. You can question the Bible but still believe in God. The Bible is undeniably (Gospels) the truth in regards on how a person should live thier life. Most relgions also share this same dogma. Live your life as a charitable, loving person.

I doubt Jesus would condemn the Jews Muslims,Hindus and any other beleif system to hell.

but apparently they are all going to hell no matter what. According to the "Christains" Jesus is a dick

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

The difficult part of the bible, is the writings that are related to the existence of a God and culmination of a Jesus, this are not original, they are bits and pieces of related myths claimed by other older civilizations that thrived during the same time as the bible writers claim the bible time line to be.

That alone takes away any absolute truth that it may hold to a person that research historical facts.

But for a believer their faith holds all the power for them take it as absolute truth.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Just to clarif ysomething here, I am not an Atheist BTW

Is just that I have a different view of religion, organized religion and the very interesting but very much controversial books in the bible.

I am a histocal facts pursuer.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The event of "Jesus" and the voice of "Our Father" in his head did happen. However them the "followers" that couldn't get it right as expressed several times by Jesus, fell back onto their mythological understandings to make it a "best seller" rather then accurate history book.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The Jewish scribes were meticulous in copying the texts.

books.google.com... &sig=yNUt2RgMolnHSDpbSdNHBzXoFP0

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Just to clarif ysomething here, I am not an Atheist BTW

Is just that I have a different view of religion, organized religion and the very interesting but very much controversial books in the bible.

I am a histocal facts pursuer.

Well, I hope you've checked on that Urantia book, not to beat a dead horse, but I did years of research before I found that book. The model I was making of the what really happened, seeking truth for the sake of truth, matched what was written in the Urantia book...

Sure some terms are diffrent, but the story is the same.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

No they were not. Maybe the copies were, but the works were not.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Yes but that is something that none of the original bible keepers could now tell for sure, if the voices in the head were real, of alien nature or just what they wanted to hear in their time of need while on hallucinogenics trance.

That is why the bible can never be taken as absolute truth unless is base on faith.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes, I am familiar with many books including the Urantia books.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Lets not forget that the "Water Baptisim" is a flat out lie.

The baptisim is in the mind's eye, it isn't a bath.

Oh and that "In Jesus's Name", that was well off nothing. Jesus wasn't even the man's real name.

The bible is full of mispercieved realities, mistruths.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Fine but that does not make the originals the obsolute truth

These scholars just copied old texts-which have proven to be either Egyptian or Sumarian legends and converted them to Judaism.

I cannot understand why everyone is hung up on these old, irrelavent fables.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well when you have nothing to do, please send me a copy of the list of all orignal firsts texts.

like bible, dead sea scrolls, nag scrolls, lost book of the bible and forgoten books of eden, urantia book.

Not books written by someone that thinks they read such named texts and thought they were so asstute that they could write a book about those type books.

Would love to get that list sometime U2U or here or whereever.

I've actually been thinking of somehow making a thread of "required readings".

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild

Fine but that does not make the originals the obsolute truth

These scholars just copied old texts-which have proven to be either Egyptian or Sumarian legends and converted them to Judaism.

I cannot understand why everyone is hung up on these old, irrelavent fables.

Score one touchdown for the bible is bull team!!!

Are you all going to kick for the extra point?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They may have been in their time, the original hand written OT manuscripts were lost, most of the stories were passed by oral recollection before compilation.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

Its a collection of stories and BS , the whole Christian religion is stolen from older cultures and adapted to suite the needs of the society.

That is somewhat of a over simplification.

For one the Christians had nothing to do with altering the ancient Jewish texts, they weren't around yet.

www.biblicalarchaeology.org...

As for the historicity of the Bible,

Biblical Wall Located, Archaeologist Says

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.haaretz.com...
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Archaeologists have found an ancient quarry where King Herod's workers may have chiselled the giant stones used to rebuild the second Jewish temple in Jerusalem some 2,000 years ago. news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AtWyyOUJKA72HR8Y4q3QBZNFeQoB

Temple Mount Destruction Continues

www.youtube.com...

Pictures,
www.echad.info...

Archeologist: King Herod's tomb desecrated, but discovery 'high point'
www.haaretz.com...

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem announced Monday night that it has uncovered the grave and tomb of Herod, who ruled Judea for the Roman empire from circa 37 BCE.

Now there is a difference between religious dogma and historical facts of course.

But don't throw the baby out with the bath water
www.thetrumpet.com...

One has to wonder why there are so MANY so eager to discredit the Bible,

Just like the prophets said they would.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They may have been in their time, the original hand written OT manuscripts were lost, most of the stories were passed by oral recollection before compilation.

Yes, true, yet, we need to watch out for the minimalist position.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now I am not speaking about religion here, and I don't think it is 100% accurate.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The book "War and Peace" also was fairly historically accurate.

But we dont base our belief system on the "drama filler" of this book.

We all know there was a King Herod. There's probably more no-Bible ancient writings about him than Bible writings. Woop-de-doo

P.S. is a "woop-dee-doo" good enough for an extra point??
[edit on 11-1-2008 by wrathchild]

[edit on 11-1-2008 by wrathchild]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
William G. Dever, Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?

findarticles.com...

www.sdjewishjournal.com...

books.google.com... 4,M1

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
But Jesus answered, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!"

Biblical archeology?

www.bartleby.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The Orthodox King James Version of the Bible is the oldest.....

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Storm...

Icannot disagree with you on the fact the Bible is one of oldest historical documents. In regards to the religious Dogma, there is no proof. The best archieologists and geologist may be able to prove there was a great flood 6,000 years ago(and I do beleive there was) but NOBODY can prove it was God who did this to rid the Earth of all the bad people. I dont want to argue that point because you dont, nor I dont, or does anybody else know if that was the case. It's easy to say if A was proven to happen the B must also be true.

Proof= stars in the sky
Not proof = God put them there

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join