It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOINC w/ seti@home proj question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Im a newbie to boinc, and am currently doing a seti@home project. I noticed the little graphics thing, which is recording sound data. Is there any way to listen to what it's recording, or am I completely off the track with what this is? Thanks,

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hi, do you mean the graphics bit that comes up when you click on 'Show graphics' or run it as a screensaver? You can't hear any sounds through SETI@Home. SETI@Home just analyses small chunks of data to see if there's anything out of the ordinary in them and then they're sewn together. I think it deals more with pulses and other things buried away in the noise.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Yeah, I was just wondering if there was any way to listen to what it was analyzing/

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't think there is... The bit of data that your computer analyses, if played, would probably only play for a few seconds (if you could somehow convert it into audio). I guess maybe if SETI does eventually find something, they would be able to convert it themselves to demonstrate what an extraterrestrial signal sounds like.

I know that they're listening on what's known as the 'hydrogen line', I think it's about 1420MHz... No one on earth is allowed to transmit on that frequency, so they're really just listening for little blips around that mark.

new topics

top topics

join