It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI wiretaps dropped due to unpaid bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

FBI wiretaps dropped due to unpaid bills

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Telephone companies have cut off FBI wiretaps used to eavesdrop on suspected criminals because of the bureau's repeated failures to pay phone bills on time.

A Justice Department audit released Thursday blamed the lost connections on the FBI's lax oversight of money used in undercover investigations. In one office alone, unpaid costs for wiretaps from one phone company totaled $66,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Its bad enought that the patriot Act gives them alot of freedom to violate ours but they cannot even pay thier bills on time
The FBI denies that any investigation was compromised, but lets face it how would they know? Maybe they need to get thier act together BEFORE they start snooping into ours.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Perhaps they don't need to pay the bills any more. Could it be they simply found a back door into the telco networks?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I guess the credit crunsh, the housing crash and the recession is finally hitting the government first hand.

They should start issuing IOUsto the telephone companies

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

A Justice Department audit released Thursday blamed the lost connections on the FBI's lax oversight of money used in undercover investigations. In one office alone, unpaid costs for wiretaps from one phone company totaled $66,000.

My (Jacksonville FL) basic phone bill is $33.75 per month. If the FBI bills are the same, then 1,956 phones could have been tapped one month. Assuming the phone company let the bills run 2 months, then 977 phones could have been tapped. Assuming there are at least 50 FBI offices around the country and this billing is typical, then the FBI could be tapping as many as 48,900 phones in the United States.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

Thats is scary donwhite doing the math kind of make you wonder if America have that many terrorist suspects.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
My (Jacksonville FL) basic phone bill is $33.75 per month. If the FBI bills are the same, then 1,956 phones could have been tapped one month. Assuming the phone company let the bills run 2 months, then 977 phones could have been tapped. Assuming there are at least 50 FBI offices around the country and this billing is typical, then the FBI could be tapping as many as 48,900 phones in the United States.

You think the FBI uses the phones only for wiretapping?
Besides I bet an average office phone-bill is bigger than your home phone-bill just because there are so many users... Of-course they probably have better price-offers from the companies also.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Maybe someone is having a hard time explaining away frivolous phone taps to their overlords..... err bosses.

Besides if the telcos keep records on the taps as well as the FBI could that not be a bit of a security issue - especially as it's now hit the news - wonder if some one some where has just realised that they have access to those data bases and have a sneaky peekey! - id be tempted.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

posted by Alphard
Of-course they probably have better price-offers from the companies also.

In 2000, I worked for an ISP. I was surprised to learn we could buy a T1, that is a bundle of 100 telephone lines for $175 per month. A T10, which includes 1000 telephone numbers or lines, cost even less per line at $1,495 a month. Wholesale versus retail.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
hah I didn't even know the FBI had to pay telephone bills to wiretap peoples phones. I thought they just kind of ordered the phone companies to give them access.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Besides if the telcos keep records on the taps as well as the FBI could that not be a bit of a security issue -

They keep records, but only about the line in question a s they would with any phone number. If a casual observer looks they may at best see a phone number and perhaps an FBI office address, but I doubt they list the owner as say Gambino wiretap #4 or something.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Fred, I was just reading this article. Its really funny that companies are not cooperating with the feds because they can't pay their bills on time.

I guess no matter what kind of client you are; Late bills, no service. I'm glad the government doesn't slip through another loophole.

Aside from warrant-less wiretapping being illegal, I'm glad companies have the balls to stand up for themselves.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Business is business for them and I am also glad to see that they treat deadbeats all the same. Well not the same exactly. One FBI office was behind in 66000 dollars. No way they would have allowed a small business to get that far behind

top topics

join