It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excited...just turned in my petition

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Yes, you are one of the few. Sorry for the frusteration Light. I'm not trying to make any assumptions, rather simply pointing out my own pre-conceptions. Believe me, I have opened my mind a lot more then you think since I first started posting on this forum. I appreciate your tolerance though

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightinDarkness
reply to post by spirit7

This is bordering on comical.

You say:
"I'm going to approach this in an unbiased way."

-- Thoughtful discussion from masons and non-masons ensues, showing you one of your preconceived notion is wrong. --

Days later, you insert some baiting point which has _specifically_ been disproved based on your previously debunked preconceived notion. This is pointed out to you, yet you ignore it and the cycle starts again. This happens every time, without fail. I am not convinced you are not an anti-mason troll. In fact, the longer this goes on the more it seems to suggest you are.

Well that's certainly your perception but this reply suggests that you are less tolerant then I thought you were.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by spirit7
They'll probably preach alot about dogma and fear so be ready for that. Just a hunch.

I was under the impression that you had now decided to approach Masonry with a unbiased opinion but you are reverting to the same disturbing rhetoric. How did you arrive at the conclusion that there is preaching in Masonry when we are not a religious insititution?

I am no longer in the belief that Freemasonry is a religion, rather it's a philosophical approach to God since God is not neccessarily tied to a religion. However, every organization has their own goal and I can't help but wonder if the Goal of Freemasonry is to free men from the dogma of religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

This just hints further that your trolling, since anyone that points out this unique pattern in your posts (and I am not the first one to do this) gets termed "intolerant." Thats right, I am not tolerant of trolls.

You say things that you know to be false, and you intentionally target your baiting in ways that you know is blatantly false or - at the very least - for which you have absolutely no evidence. I have often pondered making posts parallel to yours every time you post, except customizing it for your particular brand of Christianity. It would be an interesting case study to see how you respond to your own logic leveled against you:

For example, I know a few christians who think that it is the role of women to stay at home and take care of the kids. That must mean all christians think that way.

[edit on 18-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Ok but in regards to my last reply of this post, am I getting warmer?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

No, your not getting warmer - and you KNOW that.

"There are three great duties, which as a Mason, you charged with inculcating: to GOD, neighbor, and yourself. To GOD, in never mentioning His name but with that reverential awe due from a creature to his creator, in esteeming Him as the chief good, in imploring his aid in all your laudable undertakings...."

I am quoting the ritual from memory here, but I'm fairly sure I'm correct word for word on that part.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Honestly, I didn't know that. If it were more like a philosophical approach that that would be fine since everyone has the right to believe what they want to about God. So is it more like an esoteric approach in addition to that individuals religion?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

Yes, although its not esoteric because esoteric means "hidden" or "secret." But other than that, exactly correct I think. It is a philosophical approach that acknowledges the individual mason must worship in the context of his own separate religion. And I use religion in the widest definition, since religion may simply be deism in the case of some masons.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Right, also that God is not tied to any one religion (despite what the Catholics might think) correct?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit7

I do not think as a institution masonry has a stance on that. That would be up to the individual mason to decide. Masonry simply says "pay homage to your God." It is up to the mason to resolve who or what that God is and how he will pay homage, as well as other more theological questions about the nature of that God (whether its the only God, etc.).

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Catholics seem to think that they are Thee Church of God and not A church of God.

That's all I'm sayin'

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The Catholics seem to think that they are Thee Church of God and not A church of God.

That's all I'm sayin'

The Catholic Church has always been The Mother Church and The Church because it is the single point in which all other Christian Churches sprang (except Greek Orthodox which is probably older then Catholicism) ..

The Church gave way to Lutherans, Calvinist, Anglicans, so on and so forth, which gave way to Quakers, Baptist, Mormons, so on and so forth....

Your Church Spirit still holds an amazing amount of Catholic belief, whether you admit it or not, everything from the Bible you read, to meeting on Sundays and the celebration of the Feast days, is Catholic.

Protestantism is nothing "new" its simply taking what it was, the Catholic teachings and coming to different conclusions, or rather, a different interpretation.

Also note that modern Catholicism is far more lenient to other peoples faith then the vast majority of protestants.

Especially hard liners like Baptist.

[edit on 1/19/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That's all I'm sayin'

Then what you're sayin' is incorrect; the Catholic Church is indeed the church from which almost all western Christianity sprang from. It, therefore, is indeed "The" Church. All the branches that sprang from it after the Reformation are, simply, churches.

Maybe there's a kiddie website or a movie you could watch that would allow you to understand that.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think I am posting this in the right place. I am not sure anymore after reading some of the last posts. I thought this was a place about my petition and so forth.

Anyway, The local lodge is going through a transistion and a new secretary has been put in place. So I just had my first meeting from the investigatory committee this past Friday.

It went very well, and I really enjoyed the time I had with the Masons who came out.

My wife even mentioned how much she liked the gentlemen who we met.

They will present the results of their investigation at the stated meeting on Tuesday. I am looking forward to the next step.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
tlshark,

Don't feel bad my friend. Threads are constantly hi-jacked by the well intentioned as well as the ill informed, we come to expect it here. It can be exasperating, illuminating and generally irritating. Many of them mean well, but many of them do not. After a while it becomes routine to see the shenanigans that gets going around here.

By the way, congratulations on your application. It has been a very satisfying journey for me so far and I hope it is going to be for you too.

I'm responding to this thread myself because it reminds me of when I posted this same type of thing about my application almost 3 yrs. ago. Practically every misguided and unfortunate soul posted the same kind of drivel your reading now. Many of the more serious lurkers also posted congratulating me on my petition, Masons and non masons alike. We do have quite a few serious students who post on our threads but are not masons. You will learn who they are by their measured tone and the obvious level of literacy that they display in their discourse. They are usually not accusatory or condescending in their approach to serious discussion and never demean themselves or the individuals they are parrying with. It is an art to be able to discuss serious points of difference and not attack or try to demean your counterpart, it is called the art of persuasion, not the art of character assassination.

After a while it becomes obvious who the provocateurs are. I am still amazed at how patient and persistent my brethren are in trying to dissuade some of them.

Good luck on your journey.

Also keep in mind that the crux of the biscuit around here, so to speak, is conspiracy stuff. So the non-believers are usually hunting the believers, in a manner of speaking.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Though many dont like it, and falsely claim that I am not. I am a 3rd degree Master Mason.
One thing that really irks me is the nonsense that there is is no higher degree than the 3rd.
In fact, those that go into the other rites for the "Higher" degrees certainly feel they have "risen above the 3rd", just plain the way it is.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HDFACTORYCERTIF

I've lurked here for some time, and while being a mason is no big deal (I'm a mason too), I watched the other thread where you pretty clearly demonstrated you couldn't answer questions that a master mason would know. After watching your respond, it was absolutely clear you were hoaxing. Please just stop.

There are no levels in masonry, except master masons, and entered apprenticed/fellowcrafts. It is the only place I have ever seen any sort of hierarchy, but even then its more out of necessity - and as soon as people get raised it disappears.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was accepted. So I start my journey next Tuesday for the 1st degree.

Still very excited.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tlshark

Congratulations

[size=-12]Try not to step on the goat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join