It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

99 accord help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hey every one, i have a 99 Honda accord and i'm having some transmission problems ; it reves up to 1300 rpm before shifting.
I have no knowledge of mechanical work so i'm hoping some one here can tell me what this could be, also i have had the car for three years. i take frequent 200+mile trips. please HELP.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It would appear you are not alone with this problem.

I've just been doing some research on this for you.

I have only really one idea as to why this is happening but i'll get to that in a moment.

Firstly, check this page out. let's see if the problems suffered here are the same as yours. www.carcomplaints.com...

I presume you've got an auto trans by the way you say it revs up.

One poster there said his problem was fixed by changing the alternator.
Some cars computers can go a little of key occasionally, disconnecting the battery for a day sometimes helps reset the computer.

I was originally thinking along the lines of the kick down control of the box, but I had another idea.

I got onto thinking about gears slipping and clutches (auto's have convertors)
and I was wondering if the viscosity of the gear box oil is wrong. You might really need a hicker oil to keep the torque convertor stable.

These people seem to notice the problem on a long run, when the oil is really hot and at its thinnest point. A thicker oil may actually stop the slipping.

Changing the gear oil for a thicker one is a lot cheaper than buying another alternator or another gear box, and wil take less time than disconnecting the battery for a day.

I can't think of much else seeing as this problem is being talked about a lot on the accord...

just check the chat for the 2003 model

I really hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
thank you very much Extralien for your research it helps me a great deal,
now at least i can go down the list ,i have already changed the alternator once before so now ill try a thicker oil as you suggest and also see if its an electronic problem. thank you very much for the link i was not aware of the honda problem.

new topics

join