posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:59 PM
shows you what really happens with those compact energy saving fluorescent light bulbs.
they contain the most poisonous material on the planet - mercury. mercury is not radioactive but since it's that poisonous, it makes no
someone made this comment at www.greenpeace.org.uk...
"They have also been shown to cause depression and allergic reaction in some people due to the light they emit, which is very different than that
from a regular light bulb. It is cold and lifeless.
What about recycling - the energy saving light bulb CAN not be recycled at this point. If people throw them away in the trash, which most of them will
do, we will end up with tonnes of non-organic mercury in our waters and landfills, which is far more dangerous that the organic mercury produced by
I've used the low energy bulbs for over a decade. 2 of them lasted far less than it's claimed.
manual thermostats(not sure which type) & some LEDs have mercury too.
the government/the most powerful are trying to ban old bulbs in country after country, a violation of our choice. that's called a covert
dictatorship. do you think those very high up in power really really care for the environment? if they don't care for humans, I hardly think there's
much chance of them caring for the environment. it makes no difference to them whether the bulbs use 80% less energy or 1%. if it was 1% they would
come up with some other excuse. they want people using them because it will mean even greater mercury contamination everywhere because the horror is
that most people will just throw them in the bin after they no longer work.
is a short page everyone should read with revealing facts about mercury contamination.
bulbs sent for toxic disposal by qualified companies should be VERY well wrapped in bubble-wrap.
has more information on safe disposal of those bulbs.
too. UK: B&Q, Ikea take them back. Council rubbish dumps should have a
container for bulbs]
has ideas on re-using normal bulbs.