It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I see the light!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Personally i don't care what any religion or government says its all about social control to me. B.S.

The hardest thing to see is the thing you have not seen yet.

*Link to inappropriate content removed

[edit on 11-1-2008 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxpageant

I could not have said this better! This is exactly correct!

To the OP.... welcome to the new world without blinders. You have just spiritually evolved. =)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep

Originally posted by Garnet
I'm not sure that I want to seek the "real Him" after what I just finished reading.

Since he owns the place and is the giver of life. It wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

Argh!
Despair, Despair!
If we were Mountain Goats, we would be locked in battle, but I would win because I have Science on my side

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Don't feel bad at all. I was an altar boy for 10 years. My family was very catholic. I guess I'm a lucky one that nothing happened to me with the priests. I'm happily married and have kids. I try to keep the tradition and still carry a bit of the guilt. I'm actually agnostic and one of my brothers is an atheist who laughs at me because he says I'm just trying to hide atheism behind the veil of agnosticism. I recently baptized my daughter, just to save face with the family. Everyone was telling me how bad I was that she was turning one year and she still hadn't been baptized. Go figure.

I honestly feel that all religions are just a way of keeping the population under control. Take the country of Mexico, for example. If religion wasn't that ingrained, the whole country would be up in arms knowing that less than 1% owns 90% of the country's assets.

I, like you, knew plenty of people who behave one way in church and another one outside. Take my neighbor who went to church every morning. Then we would play in the backyard and when our ball would fall in her yard, she would just burst it with scissors. I asked my parents if she was a sinner by doing that and they said no. People (crooks) cleanse themselves with religion.

I had a conversation with a very religions man. He told me I had to suffer here, in order to enjoy the afterlife. I told him I would rather enjoy it here, in case there is no afterlife.

I live on this motto now: I rather have my mind open by wonder than closed by belief.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by manticore]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Following a religion is not wrong. It is not our place to decide what spiritual path is right for another. We are free however to decide what path is right for ourselves.

I was born to two hell fire and brimstone pentecostal preachers. I overcame their teachings though and I am now a Spiritual Anarchist. I believe religion is something one must overcome to find a true path to the creator of all things.

Thats my path, I cannot and will not say it's a path thats right for someone else.

Walk your path with honor and respect and allow the same to your brothers and sisters.

Perhaps in doing so you will actually make the world a better place.

wupy

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm surprised at the responses to your thread. You can believe or disbelieve in whatever you want. I'm a Christian personally. ----------------------PC

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Following a religion is not wrong. It is not our place to decide what spiritual path is right for another. We are free however to decide what path is right for ourselves.

I was born to two hell fire and brimstone pentecostal preachers. I overcame their teachings though and I am now a Spiritual Anarchist. I believe religion is something one must overcome to find a true path to the creator of all things.

Thats my path, I cannot and will not say it's a path thats right for someone else.

Walk your path with honor and respect and allow the same to your brothers and sisters.

Perhaps in doing so you will actually make the world a better place.

wupy

I value the fact that I was raised "Presbyterian" -- because it gave me a groundwork and "foundation" for spirituality. This "groundwork" eventually led me to find (as you have said) your "own path".

I walk the path of the shaman. I use what works, and I dismiss that what doesn't.

I use my intuition and the power of my own mind to make my reality a better place to reside in for myself and my loved ones.

I have since "denounced" myself any kind of "religious affiliation" -- in pursuit of my own spiritual path. I find wisdom, guidance and lessons not only in Christ, but also in Buddha, H.H. The Dali Lamma...

I am a spiritual being that has seen the blinding white light of eternity spoken about in the Tibetan Book of the Dead...I know that life continues after the body dies--and that "death" is not he "worst possible consequence".

Making this world that I live in more full of love, compassion, joy and harmony is what ALL major religious leaders initially preached. How did we get so perverted and astray?

Money, greed, power.

Go carefully my friends.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Garnet

Without religion evil men would still do evil things and good men would still do good things, only religion can make a good man do evil things.

I can see that you are on your way to becoming a SECULAR HUMANIST! Way to go.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Read the Bible for yourself and come to your own conclusions, don't go on the ones by others. People misquote and take out of context verses from the Bible, and that totally distorts the truth.

Human reason on the part of one man is fallible. The supposed contradictions are actually misunderstandings, mistranslations, and mis-rephrases of bible passages and words. Get a lexicon to see the true meanings.

The Bible doesn't say that money is the root of all evil. It says that the love of money is the root of all evil. See the difference there? Satan likes to do things like that to throw people off so they won't believe.

The church and Christianity itself is not an organization, a building, a man, a Pope, a Vatican, a Denomination or any other such thing. They both are the group of people who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, believing that He was born by a virgin, never sinned, died on a cross for the world's sins, and rose again defeating death for us all. Through Christ's sacrifice we can all live. Following such a decision, it isn't about confessing your sins to some man, but living as Christ did, and when you sin, confess directly to Christ in prayer, and continue on. Strive for the knowledge that God will reveal to you.

As for death...we are all immortal in a sense. Where your soul resides after death depends on whether or not you trust in Christ...I prefer Christ and paradise over Satan and eternal Hell.

If you simply read and heavily study the Bible yourself, and go by the original meanings and phrases from the old world, you will find it infallible, unlike other religions which are either some form of polytheism or nature worhship, or an evil perversion of Christianity by Satan...(example:Quija boards are a perversion of the High Preist's breast plate, Urim, and Thurim as spoken of in the Bible. God communicated through the Urim, Thurim, and Breastplate like the Quija board does only in a perverted fashion to demonic soldiers of Satan.)

[edit on 10-1-2008 by joesomebody]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Unfortunately joesomebody, the church likes to start the brainwashing when we are children, it makes it very difficult to read the word and decipher it for yourself when youve already been told what it says over and over pre conditioning you to believe a certain way. It is sad really that most people who were raised in the church never overcome this. It should be a very personal choice what road to travel but when you have a particular way of thinking burned into your skull since birth it is usually only an illusion of choice that these christians make.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
Unfortunately joesomebody, the church likes to start the brainwashing when we are children, it makes it very difficult to read the word and decipher it for yourself when youve already been told what it says over and over pre conditioning you to believe a certain way. It is sad really that most people who were raised in the church never overcome this. It should be a very personal choice what road to travel but when you have a particular way of thinking burned into your skull since birth it is usually only an illusion of choice that these christians make.

Please start using the word "Denomination" or "Man Made Organization of Christians" or something instead of church to describe the warp that has gone on! We don't want to further confuse anyone, or lead them down the wrong path!

Basically, these man made "churchisms" (hate to use that word, but it works) are creating more of a problem than cults are...The Catholic Organization (no offense people) has too many fallacies to count, with the worst being the belief that the words of the pope (only a man) are the words/thoughts/intents of God. The whole confession thing is dumb, too, as are last rights. These things all detract from the forgiveness and divinity of Jesus. If these things were neccessary and real, Jesus' divinity wouldn't be true, meaning the gift of life with Him in Heaven for Believers wouldn't be true. Thank God this isn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, I have problems with most protestant denominations, too (or at least several misguided thoughts and theories within them) ...and I think it is dumb to argue Calvinism vs Armenianism, tongues, etc...oh...and nowhere in the Bible does it say that one can lose salvation...Jesus died for ALL sins, not just some of them. If one lost salvation, it would detract from the divinity of Jesus, making Him imperfect and nullifying His gift to us. Those who have "lost their salvation" are either Christians living like carnal man, or are non-Christian and have always been...I could think of many many more, but those are some examples. In the end, these things all are designed by Satan and put into the thoughts of these imperfect fleshy bodies we dwell in to confuse and mislead people from coming to the truth in Christ.

Don't even get me started on the commercialization of Christianity.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by joesomebody]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Im not going to get into it, but your intentionally convoluting my point. Nice mis-direction though.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
Im not going to get into it, but your intentionally convoluting my point. Nice mis-direction though.

Sorry, but I try to be as detailed as possible so that I don't confuse people to get them off track. I don't want someone's eternal damnation to be my fault.

I am simply stating that many institutions today aren't what was intended. If you aren't a Christian, you won't understand.

The truth IS in the Bible, at least the truth of Christ, the truth of Salvation. It's a choice, and the truth requires faith alone, but naysayers really should learn Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic, and/or read multiple translations and versions of the bible + lexicons to get the true understanding. This study method alone will diffuse most of the things people find to be contradictory or untrue.

I mean not to offend, but help people find the path, but honestly any other belief system is a perversion of God's word, or a totally invented thing.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by joesomebody]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

What really kills it for me are the followers. Everyone I've ever gone to church with and known personally at the same time would say one thing in church and another outside of it. Some of the worst, most immoral people I've ever known have attended church with me in the past. Then they claim that God does so much for them; sorry, that's you doing it and not Him

Too look on with judgment,does this help you or other evolve to be better in spirit? What is their journey is most likely different from yours. There are no coincidences, in life.

The kingdom you all seek is within you,

The is but One Light, it is the light of GOD, It is within all and in all things of this Universe.

I see the Light do you? If not Close your Eyes and behold Yourself(god-conscious) , a light of god's creation, one that even without YOU, GOD would not be Complete. There is purpose in all,

[edit on 11-1-2008 by Dark_Raven]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark_Raven

At the same time, while judgment isn't right on our part, this is another problem that leads young Christians astray and repels non-Christians from believing, with the whole "He's a Christian and he does (insert sin here) just like me...why should I become a Christian, since I'm already doing that?" sort of thing...

It should be noted that the Bible says that one should first examine themselves and remove the plank in their eye before looking at their brother or friend or neighbor to condemn them for the little speck in their eye.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Psalm 14:1 "The fool says in his heart, There is no God."

I agree with the above verse simply because of the danger involved in refusing something which may very well be real. How do you know?

The way I like to look at the whole thing is, if its real (God that is) then really what have you lost by following the Bibles teachings?
I'm not talking about religious politics, bible bashing, guilt trips and other assorted nasties that turn SO many away from the truth. I'm talking about the simple message of guidance through life.

Dont steal, dont kill, treat others as you yourself would like to be treated, do good to those around you, be kind, so on and so forth. Do any of these teachings harm you in any way? Do they not help you and guide you into becoming a better person?

The flip side of this is, if it IS real, and God does indeed exist, then you would be supremely foolish to reject his teachings. Again, not religious politics, nor bible bashing guilt trips and other nasties, but forgoing Gods love for you and his desire to commune with you.

As it says in Matthew 7: 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice the "I never knew you" part? even though they where obviously religious people casting out demons and doing mighty works in Gods name, and yet they will be told to depart from His presence.

Actually reading the Bible I have noticed the only people Jesus ever had issue with and told off/chastised was religious people of the day. Truth be told, religion has done more damage to God and His message of love and hope than anything else. Again, that is man's doing, not Gods.

My advice would simply be, dont throw out God because of the mistakes man has made and continues to make. Forget religion, its politics, its mistakes and ask God, just between you and Him, alone, to reveal Himself to you. Talk to Him about your thoughts. Have it out with Him in a very real way. If your angry tell Him about it, swear if thats the thing you would normally do. Treat God as real as you would treat someone standing infront of you. Show Him your serious and in return He will respond.

No token lifeless prayers "Oh heavenly Father I beseech thee" ...blah blah blah. Have it out, as real as it gets with Him. And see what happens.
God does indeed want to commune with you. He wants to commune with us all. Not through religion, dead mass, lifeless prayers and other man made boring ceremonies. One on one, talk to Him, tell Him how you feel.

If you choose to reject Him, thats your choice to make, but at least have it out with Him before you leave. You never know, he might actually be listening ....

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Burginthorn

Yes! But one must always know that salvation is through belief in Christ Alone! Not good works! Good works are something a Christian is supposed to do, as it is what Jesus would have done, and shows others that Christians are different from non-Christians in a good way! This attracts more to know Jesus!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by joesomebody

Yes! But one must always know that salvation is through belief in Christ Alone! Not good works! Good works are something a Christian is supposed to do, as it is what Jesus would have done, and shows others that Christians are different from non-Christians in a good way! This attracts more to know Jesus!

A baby needs milk, not meat.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I was avoiding a one line reply followed by the moderators totally going medieval on me and pwning my post.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
How can a book written by man be the infallible truth? Historical evidence proves that your Bible was written by Constantine and a group of high priests at the Council of Nicea in 323 AD. Well... maybe not "written", but plagerized a bunch of old gnostic,hebrew, egyptian, etc. ideas into one gargantuan tool to unite all of the Roman Empire under one unquestionable belief system, to more easily control the minds of the population... thus beginning the persecution of individual thought all over again.

Your Bibles, Korans, Torahs, Vedas... are simply tools of manipulation and controlled chaos and division.

So is a lot of stuff we overlook as "just the way it is".

So is patriotism. So are sports. So is politics. There's no room for individual freedom anymore. You can have your beliefs, as long as you understand that beliefs are not worth fighting and dying for if they aren't truly YOUR VERY OWN.

No Christian can say their beliefs are truly their own. They can say it, but it doesn't make it the truth. It just means they were either indoctrinated or swindled into narrowing their morals and ideas about the universe down in order to fit in with a certain title and the rules/scriptures/saviours that govern that title.

The truth is, Jesus could just as easily be a purple furry dragon that lives on the moon, and the bible could just as easily be replaced with a Dr. Seuss book, as long as enough important people say that's the way it is. If that Dr. Seuss book happens to be Green Eggs and Ham, green food dye could replace holy water. A lexicon could be written to translate the convoluted meaning of "I would not eat it in a box, I would not eat it with a fox" to be anything the creator of the G.E.A.H. lexicon interpreted it as.

And by the way, what kind of nonsensical viewpoint is this??? : that people need a big book of gibberish half sentences that more resemble Aesops Fabels written by a dislexic person with severe mood swings and personality diorders, in order to know how to live life?

What ever happened to the simple teachings of Rufus?

"Be excellent to each other!"

deep breath annnnd.....

How is Jesus Christ our Lord and saviour? Is that not just a cop out for relinquishing responsibility for our own stupidity and ignorance? Why has an overwhelming majority of this WORLD reliquished responsibility for their lives over to religion and politics?

Having a Lord and Saviour is a complete cop out. Nobody has to teach you to be moral but yourself. Nobody can help you to find your own path except yourself. Nobody is gunna save you except yourself. You create your own destiny... not some God or some Messiah that is separate from you and floating up in space somewhere.

I believe it was Jesus himself who said "Be ye not Gods?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join