It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Brain Aging Expert Challenges the Existence of Alzheimer's as a 'Disease'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

International Brain Aging Expert Challenges the Existence of Alzheimer's as a 'Disease'

www.prnewswire.com

In his provocative and ground-breaking new book, Dr.
Whitehouse questions current approaches to Alzheimer's disease (AD)
diagnosis and treatment and brings a new understanding to everything we
thought we knew about brain aging. Dr. Whitehouse and co-author Daniel
George, M. Sc., published "The Myth of Alzheimer's" to expose what they
believe to be the unsound clinical, political, and scientific framework of
AD and explain why it continues to be so difficult to address a condition
concerning so many people as they age.
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
OK - this seems Nuts. I just read a Breaking News on how Enbrel, when given into the spine, reverses Alzheimer's. Here is the link :

www.sciencedaily.com...

I would classify Alzheimer's as a disease because of the Amyloid Beta plaque that builds up in the brain, around the neurons, that causes memory failure. They have also found a genetic component, that if the protein APP fails, the plaque builds up. I am not sure what to think of the MD's new book...is it bunk?

www.prnewswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
And one more thing - Just to be clear...I believe Alzheimer's is a disease, and a evil one at that.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm with you, this guy sounds nuts. I wonder what his agenda is? How can anyone say it's not a disease?? I'm watching my mother's brain rot away right now due to Alzheimer's.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think its interesting that he pushes the normal aging as the disease. He mentions nothing about the AB Plaque that builds up.

According to the founder of the University Memory and Aging Center at
Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Case Medical
Center, "AD cannot be biologically or clinically differentiated from normal
aging. There is no one profile of AD that is consistent from person to
person," says Dr. Whitehouse. "Alzheimer's is a heterogeneous process
because it reflects the different way people's brains age over their
lifetimes." The book claims AD represents our culture's attempt to make
sense of a natural process of brain aging that we cannot control; all the
biological hallmarks of AD are also the hallmarks of normal, albeit severe,
forms of brain aging. "The promise of a panacea for one of our most dreaded
'diseases' is a powerful cultural myth," says Whitehouse, "and one purveyed
by powerful pharmaceutical companies, advocacy organizations, and private
researchers with much profit to gain." The book points out that most
scientists in the field of AD research believe a cure is unlikely and we
need to invest our dollars more wisely by putting them toward prevention
and care rather than predominantly in a cure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I am mystified as well. If there is a protein (or whatever the intruding substance is) build-up in the brain cells, it sure sounds like a decease to me!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yes, the plaque that builds up is Amyloid Beta. They have been working on a vaccine that will break up the protein, returning the neural function back to normal.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Perhaps the good doctor, (Dr. Whitehouse) has Alzheimer's? I can't think of any reason why he would say it isn't a disease. What, does he think if the person with Alzheimer's wishes hard enough it will go away? Or perhaps it's just all in their head? (No pun intended)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
He really wants this to be just a disease of aging and he wants all the money that's going to Big Pharma for research to go into prevention (it seems like he's a fan of you use it or you lose it) and care for the people who are afflicted with this disease.
I'm waiting to see the good doctor now say Eugenics is a good thing and if you have this disorder or a family history, you shouldn't procreate.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I believe it is an autoimmune disease triggered by a prior infection of cell wall deficient bacteria. Something that can actually be cured by an appropriate protocol, say the Marshall protocol as an example. But what do I know, I just read the internet and therefore am dangerously unqualified according to a typical MD.

What I find interesting is that you can walk into a Doctors office and throw down a bunch of peer reviewed journal papers that you found at Pub. Med. by experts in their field, or show him field trial studies of thousands of patients, and he will flat out state, "that's no good or that won't work".

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Can you explain more of this Marshall Protocol please and explain what type of bacteria you believe it is?

And yeah, it's like "Here ya go, I did the legwork for you." and the reply is "Thanks, but no thanks."

new topics

top topics

join