It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have breakthrough treatment: Reverses Alzheimer's in minutes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I worked as an Art Therapist in a nursing home for a little over a year and the thing that bothered me most were those female Alzheimer's patients who only had a mild case of this disease yet their families automatically chose to put them in a nursing home. So if you can imagine, a healthy woman only in her early to mid sixties who is perfectly lucid most of the time except for those few times when the early stages of this disease rears its ugly head having to live in a nursing home environment at such a relatively young age like that. It's really sad.

Fortunately, most families make some minor adjustments to accommodate those who are in the early stages of this illness where at least the patient is still living at home with loved ones instead of a someplace like a nursing home... or worse.

But great news about this promising new treatment!! Will definitely keep an eye out for updates on it! Kudo's to the OP... a flag for you!

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

My grandparents were from the old country (italy)

They didnt eat anything prepared. My grandma grew her own vegitables, made her own pasta and sauce, got all her meats from a local butcher, breads from a local bakery.

In her case, I think it was just bound to happen. Sad but true.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My Grandmother from Ireland had it too. She ended up living with us a few years but then eventually my parents put her in a nursing home. When that happened it was the saddest day my family ever experienced.

It's such a horrible disease but it sounds like a cure for it is just over the horizon! Great news!!

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i found this very ironic....and interesting nonetheless...

In lab experiments, the scientists found THC was significantly better at disrupting the abnormal clumping of malformed proteins. THC could completely prevent AChE (an enzyme related to Alzheimer's) from forming amyloid plaques, while two drugs approved for use against Alzheimer's, donepezil and tacrine, reduced clumping by only 22 and 7 percent, respectively, at twice the concentration of THC used in the tests.

Past research on human brain tissues and experiments with rats have suggested that synthetic analogues of THC can reduce the inflammation and prevent the mental decline associated with Alzheimer's disease.

I'm not saying people suffering from this should blaze a fatty everyday
but... quite honestly i don't see this new fast-acting drug reaching the market anytime soon... if ever. people love money too much, no matter how it's made. sad, yes. but very, very true.

source: Livescience Article

[edit on 10-1-2008 by malin23]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
OMG, that's fantastic news!!!

As a lot of people have said, just about all of us have either had a friend or relative suffer from Alzheimer's. And now my favorite author, Terry Pratchett, suffers from it. Maybe he can get this stuff in time to save his mind.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Looks to be good stuff going on to cure or prevent this disease. Australia is trialling a pill this year:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

Great find! Thanks for that!

My maternal grandmother suffered from it.

One can only hope they put this therapy into use soon: now my Mom's starting to show the signs.

She drove all the way over to clinic the other day, an hour drive, to pick up her meds, set them down in the restroom, and drove all the way home before she realized she'd left them in the restroom.

reply to post by malin23

Awesome find!

I found this off of your link:

A new study finds that moderate red wine consumption, specifically Cabernet Sauvignon, might help reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease.
Source | Livescience | Red Wine May Help Prevent Alzheimer's

Red wine and a little of, ahem, that.

Makes one look forward to getting old...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This looks great! It would save alot of heartache for alot of families. I would be intersted if this drug or a vriation of it could also be effective for M.S.?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

DisabledVet, I know what you mean when you say "this is really important".
Its one of the most fiendish illnesses that exists on our planet, mental illness is something totally different to others that some don't quite understand the seriousness... I truly pray that cures such as this come out in our lifetime.. I cannot imagine in 20-30 years time illnesses such as Alzheimer's are still around.... :-( very sad if this is the case.

Some say there are selfish & greedy companies out there who would lose a lot of money if cures such as this were to be made available immediately. Also a question: IF we found a cure for Aids or Cancer and other incurable diseases, do you think that would "unbalance" the way nature works with us humans? By that I mean, population growth, more polution..more famine..and maybe even more disease etc? Something to think about.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
They should get Charlton Heston on board. I miss seeing him on TV.

Okay, I'm dating myself. So sue me.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
physical activity may help prevent Alzheimer's: www.newsnarticles.com...

marijuana use may help prevent Alzheimer's: www.livescience.com...

red wine may help prevent Alzheimer's:
www.livescience.com...

Learning and instrument may help prevent Alzheimer's:
blog.cognitivelabs.com...

The key to preventing Alzheimer's?

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

On a more serious note, this is great news. Starred and flagged.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by memoir] grammar and spelling.

[edit on 11-1-2008 by memoir]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I was very excited to hear this on the news. My husband has early onset of this disease. However, the injection poses serious side effects, some fatal. I guess one would have to weigh the options. But, I agree with some of the other postings. A cure for this would not be good for the pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.. Plus, I wonder how much it would cost, and would insurance cover the "pre existing" disease. There will be a catch to this.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
thank you for posting this my father has Alzheimer's and it has been hard since I'm only 16 but if this can help than I still have hope of having my dad back

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

my mother who i guess never wanted kids but had me anyway and then for sure "hated"kids never the less treated me and my wife respectfully until she got this disease and then swung around to being pure hatefull so that it was virtually impossible to help her or remain around her unless you wanted to get yourself a nervous break down---she's in the nut house----for almost a year now---havent visited her because i cant cope with her insanity---to me she died when she took on this hatefull streak--if they can put her back to normal again i'd get her out of there and spend time with her--whatevers left--she's 86.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Without fully understanding the long study effect of these types of drugs and therapies, it has for some reason also reminded me of a movie based on a true story of a drug therapy for comatose patients. The movie starred Robert Deniro and was called: Awakenings. It was very well done.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this up, I love when there is new medical advances so we can help our loved ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join