Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Katrina Victims File Huge Lawsuits Including One for $3 Quadrillion

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

$3 Quadrillion??? Is there that much money on this planet? Whoa! Is there really justification for that?

Well, when you consider that courts are likely only to award a small fraction of that, especially in light of the other lawsuits, one can certainly understand the reasoning- start high and maybe you'll end up with something.

Money doesn't buy life though, no matter how much money there is. And it apparently doesn't buy attentive, well-prepared emergency disaster services either. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who's going to end up paying for all this when it's all said and done.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Your right its the tax payers that live outside the Katrina zone. I think all these lawsuits are frivolous. Why should the American tax payers have to pay for damages caused during a natural disaster like Katrina? the people that chose to live in an area thats below sea level and will flood during a major thunderstorm let alone a hurricane should not be aloud to sue for damages. they choose to live there let them suffer the cost of the damages.

I live in tornado alley, have suffered through 2 monster ice storms in the last year, just this week suffered through a couple tornadoes and now flooding. Now the only damage i got through all that is i lost power for about 2 weeks, a couple trees lost some branches and all the food i had in the fridge and freezer. thats it. Now if i would have gotten damage to my car or house well thats whats insurance is for.

And since i choose to live in an area that gets tornadoes, ice and snow storms and floods i do so at my own risk the same as the people that choose to live in areas prown to hurricanes.

If everyone that lives in my area thought the same way the people in the Katrina zone think we'd be suing the government for outrageous amounts of money also. But no we don't think like them, we know there is nothing the government can do about natural disasters. we just clean up our yards repair the damage and move on.

But i could use $3quadrillion I'd give everyone here on ATS a share of the loot so maybe i should sue also

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

I had almost forgotten how much devastation Katrina caused. I was under the impression that the majority of damage resulted by the levee breaking and flooding the city. I suppose it was a catastrophe in itself compounded by a cataclysm.

Hurricane Katrina was the costliest and one of the five deadliest hurricanes in the history of the United States. It was the sixth-strongest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded and the third-strongest hurricane on record that made landfall in the United States. Katrina formed on August 23 during the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season and caused devastation along much of the north-central Gulf Coast. The most severe loss of life and property damage occurred in New Orleans, Louisiana, which flooded as the levee system catastrophically failed, in many cases hours after the storm had moved inland. Wikipedia

489,000 people? I would hate to ask such a question, but I wonder how many of those people were actually affected by Katrina.

In the neighborhood President Bush visited right after Hurricane Katrina, the U.S. government gave $84.5 million to more than 10,000 households. But Census figures show fewer than 8,000 homes existed there at the time. ABC News

According to the ABC article, there were at least 162,750 households in 100 neighborhoods that did not exist before Katrina receiving funds that totaled over 1 billion dollars.

And three quadrillion dollars is some amount of money. The last time I heard quadrillion and dollar in the same sentence, it was in reference to the amount of Helium 3 on the moon. Not only could one re-build his house with that amount of money, but the entire city, refurbish America's highways, bridges and other infrastructure with just enough left over to terraform himself a nice civilization on the planet Mars.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
the amount of money that the government has already sunk in aid for these people should be considered when considering any compensation in these lawsuits.....and a Quadrillion? what kind of mansion did this guy own? What kind of pain and suffering this person must of gone thru!!
Let's just say that I think this is just a tad on the extreme..... if they actually got it, they might as well take their fortune and move out of the country, because they'd bankrupt our country worse than it already is if they got it!!

But there's more than just the government at fault here...
sure their may have been some negligence when they were built.
what about all those insurance agencies that refused their claims? Negligence, as far as I know, isn't a natural disaster, the natural disaster just revealed the seriousness of the negligence.... it would be like having a nearby poorly constructed damn break and your house gets flooded as a result.... would that be a natural disaster, since well, it rained quit heavily up in the mountains the day before and that was what added the extra stress on the damn!!
and well, I'm sorry, living in a bowl next to the ocean isn't too smart anyways. neither is living in an area that has been blown away a few times already by hurricanes, or living in an area that is frequently shaken apart or burned yearly by wildfires. I don't care how nice things are the rest of the year! and many people have had their homes blown away or shaken apart, or burnt to the ground a few times, just to rebuild in the same place...
shouldn't they be held at least a little accountable for knowing that they were putting themselves, their families, their property in danger to begin with?

which reminds me, with all this talk of foreclosure lately and how they've increased, I wonder, just how many of those who were in katrina's path, that had everything destroyed and then had the insurance companies say oh, so sorry!!...wonder how many of them are finally just abandoning the property?

[edit on 10-1-2008 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well, the reason so many died in Hurricane Katrina is because our
NATIONAL GUARD was overseas in Iraq & Afghanistan.
Our National Guard is TRAINED for survival technics & rescue, very much
unlike those BLACKWATER thugs they sent in there to enforce illegal mar-
shal law tactics of all kinds, as you saw just a few on tv. Abusing an old
lady who actually survived this deadly storm and treated her like a crimi-
nal, total abusive force was going on there - as these thugs had plenty of
practise & killing of anything that moves!!! TOTAL BUSH-Cheney mentality
of SATANic proportions. And that is what all the quad-trillion figuer repre-
sents = the inhuman treatments they suffered after surviving this mon-
strous disaster with just their own common sense & wits, instincts.
I read many posts of people on craigslist, how so very many people from
far & wide jumped into their food-loaded cars & trucks, speeding to New Or
leans areas to help - ONLY to be STOPPED cold by those Blackwater thugs
egomaniacs insane #ers.
Did you not realise at that time, that they (NWO) agenda was their chance
to max out FEAR to the max with total Tyranny... to subdue USA = us

We have to - elliminate - the ILLUMINATI - crooks, they killed Bush years
ago and you are watching a CLONE in action, a true puppet for the NWO
ILLUMINATI gang. Remember when they told you that they cloned a sheep
successfully? Well, the Russians are way ahead of us in cloning people, they discovered how to transfer memory & brainfunctions via hologram
techno into a clone. It is done in Siberia.
I do have all the facts & documents on what i am stating anywhere and
all my friends are superb...if you get my drift.
By the way, HAARP is now under higher control and can not do anylonger
real harm to planet earth at this time. Any nature disasters we are facing
from now on are truly nature caused, rebalancing. and it will make Katrina
compare to a summer's breeze.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

join