It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flesh wound reveals dino secrets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Flesh wound reveals dino secrets

news.bbc.co.uk

A fossil unearthed in China has given scientists a rare glimpse of what dinosaurs were like in the flesh.

The plant-eating Psittacosaurus had a thick layer of shark-like skin hidden under scales or feathers.

Palaeontologists believe this tough outer coating supported the dinosaur's organs and protected it from predators.

Tooth marks suggest the dinosaur was torn open by a scavenger, giving a unique insight into their biology, 100 million years after this one's death.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Oh, dinosaur found with flesh intact.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This gazelle sized "parrotlizzard" had tough, scaly skin with more than 25 layers of collagen - similar to that of today's sharks, reptiles and dolphins. The unique condition of fossilization in this China site preserved the specimen so the layers of skin could be seen. I thought it interesting that they didn't know whether the outer layer was scales or feathers. Apparently there is still controversy about this! Funny I can't picture dinosaurs covered in feathers!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Why can't you? They teach at Texas A&M that dinosaurs didn't become extinct they became birds, branches directly into birds not really much of a subspecies.

or atleast thats view of the day.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Why can't you?
reply to post by Lysergic

Hi Lysergic, You're right, dinos were supposed to be the pre birds, predecessors, earlier in the evolutionary scale. But I work quite a lot with birds and feathers don't seem like much protection for a dino sized brute. Good for insulation, light weight, flying, swimming, shedding water but not for protection IMHO. But maybe back in those days you couldn't tell the difference by looking between an early feather and a scale!

top topics

join