It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-hairy plants could battle global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Planting extra-reflective crops that bounce sunshine back into space is the latest proposal to help cool our warming world.

Hairy plants

Ok, can anyone read this with a straight face? I can see a new scifi channel monster movie comming, hairy plants that froze the earth..........

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Amusing but illustrative of mans ability to think outside the box, one of the reasons why I think humans will always find new and inventive ways of fixing the problems they created by using their new and inventive ways in the first place.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
He He that is so ingenius and if it does not work we could make coats out of them and go explore antartica, I agree with you man never stops amazing me when things look bleak there is always a magiver (or however its spelt) trying to find us a solution..

trying to fix gramar but failing miserably.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Althought planting...plants will help reduce the amount of CO2 and increase the amount of O2 (not by much), you need to find enough space to put all of these plants in. Also problems like invasions and adaptation should be considered. Also, those hairy plants will probably be not edible and need water to survive, so we will be spending money on these plants hoping that the plan will succeed. Someone is probably gonna come up with an idea to 'dye' the oceans white as they cover a large area and are blue so they absorb heat!

also, the genetically modified plants will use energy to produce the [insert color] pigment and hairs instead of using that energy to produce fruits (or roots etc), so the soybeans will probably not be favored by farmers :/

its a good idea nonetheless and maybe scientists could come up with a working solution. Plants needing little water and can survive in harsh environments yet be able to reflect a decent amount of energy back into ...space

People should go outside naked to save the planet!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Do some searching on Bamboo. Bamboo is a very fast growing plant. And it is better at producing oxygen than trees.

Bamboo may just help save this planet.

It's also usefull for a number of things. It is a strong building material and can be used as food, to name a few things.

Troy

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There is a reason I do not cut the dreadlocks.

hajib,

Sri Oracle

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I find it suspicious that they even calculated the effect of the supposed plant. It looks like predicting climate is hard enough, and you try to pinpoint a 1% variation due to a plant. There is just a lof of stuff that's unknown.

We should cover the Arizona in solar panels intead, that should do the trick of reducing energy and CO2 pollution

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
never mind

[edit on 10-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The allure of these hairy plants is not the ability to consume Co2 but their reflective properties which would bounce sunlight back up into the upper atmosphere and produce an average cooling effect of 1C.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

It's got something to do with albedo calculations. In which case your solar panel idea may not be a good idea.

More info on plants, albedo and gas exchange here:
Planting Trees Doesn't Necessarily Mitigate Global Warming

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
What happens when the earth goes into it's global cooling phase and you got fields of these plants everywhere?

new topics

top topics

join