It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Persecution Increasing Worldwide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
reply to post by SevenThunders

HAH!

Only 5% of Americans are 'real' Christians.

The only 'real' Christian is _________

Baptist
Catholic
Mormon
Protestant
Unitarian
Evangelical

You have the wrong idea. Although a very large minority of Christians feel this way (most of those reefer to themselves as members of the Church of Christ, a "non-denominational" fundamentalist church) most don’t.

And most devout Christians understand that although 3/4ths of all Americans claim to be Christian, most of those were "raised Christian" and are not practicing Christians.

But I think you knew what they meant by 5%.

And no, Christians will not be persecuted in the US. Never have, and never will (at least not based solely on the fact that they're Christian)

Really, you know that for a fact? I will bet you 1 million dollars that I can prove you wrong, bud.

If you define the term persecution strictly you will find that most professing Christians have been persecuted.

As a matter of fact, you yourself have "persecuted" Christians on ATS.

You may see prayer removed from public schools, but it's because there is a separation of church and state

Sorry, there is no legal basis for your "separation of church and state."

Congress, however, may pass no law respecting a religion or hindering one.

So unless the school prayer is mandated by congress or the federal government, it is LEGAL.

In fact, the constitution guarantees that the power to regulate prayer in schools is reserved for the states or the people.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Interesting that I have been in the US for over 27 years and I have never seen anybody been persecuted for saying that they are Christians.

What a bunch of propaganda.

Walk around for a month introducing yourself like this: "Hi, I am Marg and I am a Christian."

I think you may see some persecution.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

could you elaborate on that last post a bit?

I`m trying to understand exactly how people are defining persecution in this thread.

What kind of reactions would you expect to receive by introducing yourself as a Christian everywhere you went?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

What exactly would you consider 'practicing Christian'? It was always my understanding that as long as one accepted Christ as the son of God and accepted him as their lord and savior, they were a practicing Christian. Different denominations have different ways of practicing. Some may handle snakes and others may not. It doesn't meant that those who do not practice as others do are not Christian. As long as one identifies themselves as Christian, they are Christian (hence the 75-80%).

And I never made any statements about the legality of prayers in school. But it's not isolated to Christians. It is a blanket rule which applies to all religions.

As for me personally persecuting Christians...

I may question the belief, and challenge the ideologies and dogma through intelligent debate, but that is hardly persecution. The strict definition of persecution is
www.google.com...

Persecution is persistent mistreatment of an individual/group by another group. The most common forms are religious persecution, ethnic persecution, and political persecution, though there is naturally some overlap between these terms

I'm no head-hunter and I don't mistreat anyone on this board.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the burning church...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Getting back to the topic at hand, about persecution Worldwide. Yes, it's increased.

The main traditional areas such as Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iran, Palestine (but Hamas are, to their credited, defending the Christians from Islamic radicals), Israel too (which no one mentions) and now Iraq (Christians were protected under Sadam).

But, Christianity is now growing in Communist countries such as China, Laos, North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba. Religious freedom is not tolerated under Communist doctrine. We've all read about the Church in China and the attacks from the government.

The Church of England has now increased it's effort to get government to combat religious persecution against Christians in the Middle East.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Getting back to the topic at hand, about persecution Worldwide. Yes, it's increased.

No argument here. It probably has increased as Christians - especially fundamentalists - try to force their version of morality upon the rest of the world.

Christians have committed their fair share of abuses as well, whether it's a Dominican torture squad, burning witches, or some prosperity prophet fleecing a widow for her social security.

From what I've read of Christianity the path of the martyr is the quickest way to eternal glory. It's rather ironic that so many Christians are frightened by it.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Is the persecution just more widely reported now than in the past?

Is this a direct response to claims by muslims of persecution?

Are we heading for another religious war? (some would argue that we are already in one)

I have one thing to say.

BAH!
It'll never happen as proposed in the OP.
Christian countries are the advanced, economically and militarily - although china may have something to say about that in the next few decades.

India may be an exception - even "normal" moderate people burn effigies at the drop of a hat, which I find strange, but there you go.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Can you give me some examples of Christian countries being The Advanced? In my experience, it's more secular governments that make up the most 'advanced' nations.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You are correct marg... I would add though that they also bring it on themselves... with their (evangelical protestants) self righteous attempts (and ours is the only true way attitude) to convert the world (even other Christian groups) to their faith... it is at its heart very intolerant in and of its self and not so very far from the attitude of many other radical faiths they decry.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Really? I find that hard to believe.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Nothing new, it's been that way for every religion since the beginning of time.

Anytime you propose a way of living life that is the ONLY WAY or else you go to hell then it's bound to raise the ire of folks who believe a different way.

It happens because of race, beliefs other than religion, and lots more reasons than just being a christian.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

Why is it okay to question someone elses faith???? Um how about because the Bible states that the world was made in 7 days and that the Earth is only 6000 years old? Or maybe because Abraham attempts to murder his son and Lot gives up his daughters for gang rape at the request of "God?" Are those things that we shouldn't question??? If I walk around telling people that I believe theres a ghost in my room, is that acceptable as truth? Is everyone obligated to listen to me and not question because it is a belief?

Religion is not personal, it affects the world. Read a newspaper.

This feeling that we shouldnt question anothers beliefs is why we have the Taliban and the Christian right, creationist museaums and trouble in the middle east.

Arg I don't even know what else to say.....

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Three points:

It is an established fact that the reason Christians were killed in ancient Rome is because they believed their religion was the one true way and the only way. The Roman govt became afraid that they would create anarchy and destroy the unity of the Roman Empire. Christians STILL believe theirs is the only true religion and many have no problem preaching to you and telling you your religions is evil, false, etc. They have no respect for others religions, and that gets non-Christians pissed off, understandably.

The other thing is that this may be seen as Karma; after all, the Christian church burned alot of "heretics" for 400 years in Europe, simply for not being Christian or even, Christian enough.

Lastly, many Christians themselves are persecuting others, such as homosexuals. There are many gays who have been killed by Christian extremists or at least murders have been inspired because of the Christian stance against homosexuals.

Do unto others as you would have done to you.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Did you know that in Israel Christians are treated as third class citizens? actively persecuted and attacked?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Yes I do know that. Do you know that even worse things happen to homosexuals in Israel? They are killed, beaten, etc.
And your point is...?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by joshblass

Where did I say any of what you said? I did not say not to question anything. I said when I am confronted and asked why I do not believe what christians believe and why I do not accept Jesus as my lord and savior.

And I am sorry that our opinions differ but religion is very personal. It does not belong in a bulding or an organization. Read the Gospel of St. Thomas.

Questioning things is the right way to go but I am confused as to why you assumed I meant the things that you stated in your post when I said nothing of the like? To me my post meant that one should not ram their beliefs down someone elses throat if I don't want it. Just because they believe something does not mean I should or have to believe it as well. Talk about from the fantastic to the sublime.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by marg6043

You are correct marg... I would add though that they also bring it on themselves... with their (evangelical protestants) self righteous attempts (and ours is the only true way attitude) to convert the world (even other Christian groups) to their faith... it is at its heart very intolerant in and of its self and not so very far from the attitude of many other radical faiths they decry.

I have no problem with anybody system of believes, faith or religion.

If any fanatic thinks that they can come and invade my space with the rhetorics of they are safe while I will be in condemn for no following their views, you have no room in my books.

Something I will not take from anybody is radical pushers of any kind.

BTW the only problem with the so call persecution in ATS is for those radical religious pushers preaching in the wrong forums.

Preaching and bible quoting is not a conspiracy but some using ATS to win souls and spread personal agendas base on opinions and interpretations.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

That is their government problem with intolerance, no our problem here in the US.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Revelation 20:4
And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been BEHEADED for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
What I find interesting about this scripture is the word: BEHEADED. Now I ask you, what group of people within the past few years have been NOTORIOUS for Beheading those that don't agree with their ideas?

Does this give us any CLUES to who the persecutors will be and what group will play a major role in the end times?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

French revolutionists?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join