It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: `Iran Is a Threat to World Peace'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Bush: `Iran Is a Threat to World Peace'

www.breitbart.com

Bush said he and Olmert also discussed Iran. "Iran is a threat to world peace."

Bush found himself challenged by his Israeli allies on a recent U.S. intelligence report saying Iran halted a nuclear weapons program in Tehran's nuclear ambitions are a chief fear in Israel, and the U.S. report led some in the region—both Israelis and Arab nations concerned about rising Iranian influence—to doubt the U.S. commitment to reining Tehran in.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
apnews.myway.com
Iranian military says U.S lied about confrontation
Iran Now Free to Achieve Its Military Nuclear Ambitions:
An Israeli Perspective on the U.S. National Intelligence Estimate

US blacklists Iranian commander

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. military reports "significant confrontation" between 5 Iranian vessels...
Pentagon Releases Video of Iranian Boats Confronting US Warships
What if U.S.S. Enterprise sinks and the US blames Iran!

EDITED to add news links

[edit on 1/9/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
...And more warmongering from our President...

Who is not an enemy? Canada

The talk of war with Iran is getting louder and louder.

When will the dam break?

I really don't want to see another unjustifiable war happen...

Can we impeach these guys already?

"The fact that they suspended the program was heartening," Bush said. "The fact that they had one was discouraging because they could restart it."

From the apnews source:

President Bush warned Iran of "serious consequences" if it meddles again with U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So, any opinions on Bushie's statement?

It seems he and his cronies really do want war.

Blood and money is all that will come from an invasion of Iran.

Not to mention the crash of the US economy!

If the oil tankers traveling between the Straights of Hormuz are disrupted, we will see a rise in oil price the likes of which we could never even imagine. Goodbye Iraqi oil! Goodbye Saudi oil!

Straits of Hormuz and risk of oil

The sea channel which shares Iran's coastline at the entrance to the Gulf is the world's most important waterway because of the huge volume of oil exported through it daily.

-- Oil flows through the Strait account for roughly 40 percent of all globally traded oil supply, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

We better get searching for alternative energy. Oh my bad, its too expensive and not worth it Bush Jr...I forgot.

You would much rather spend billions (soon to be trillions) on a fruitful war for your oil tycoon and war department buddies (see Halliburton, Blackwater profits for the past few years, geez). Not to mention the thousands of civilian deaths and soldiers...

So will it all be worth it?

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
On a related note...

US biggest peace threat

People in European and Muslim countries see US policy in Iraq as a bigger threat to world peace than Iran's nuclear programme, a survey has shown.

Seems people around the world are getting a bit sick of being treated like [-snip-].

Will our foreign policy change to suit those on the 'bottom' or shall we keep destroying relationships?

A majority of people in 10 of the 14 countries outside the US surveyed said the war in Iraq had made the world a more dangerous place.

Some 60% of people in the UK, which is the US biggest ally, felt the Iraq war had made the world less secure, while 30% said it had made the world safer.

According to the survey:

Worldwide support for the "war on terror" has remained the same or declined
European confidence in Mr Bush has sunk even lower than it was last year
A majority of people in most countries feel the US will not achieve its goals in the "war on terror"

So who really are the 'terrorists'? Our government or the people we're fighting? Makes ya wonder doesn't it?

If the world at large thinks we're [-snip-], we probably are..Simple as that.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/10/2008 by Gools]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm no fan of Bush But I fail to grasp why anyone defends the Iranian regime. Iran's leaders are doing there best to provoc(SP?) a war with the US and its allies . Before Iran snatched the RN sailors they tried the same trick with the RAN circumstances and quick decision making prevented the incident from happening.

Iran wants a war with the US and its allies so it can unleash a wave of Islamic extremism against the democratic government of Iraq. Iran and other regimes in the region fear a democratic Iraq more then there own citizens being killed and there military being wiped out.

Iran holds all the cards which leaves very few or no options so it looks like that we wont see Iran brought down a peg or two any time soon. Military action wont cause a regime change by itself. Crippling Iran economy with sanctions seems to be the best bet but even that isnt an option for two reasons.

The first is that European nations wouldn't support sanctions that are tough enough to accomplish the goal . The second is that after the way Bush senior betrayed those in Iraq who he told to rise up against Saddam it is unlikely that anyone in Iran would take such a step. All of this is before you factor in Russia and that government uses Iran as a proxy in global power plays.

All in all thanks to the Neo Cons the situation is right royally screwed. I know that no one will listen the Neo Cons will be just as blind and naive as they were before Saddam removal and people will continue to defend Iran because they don't like US policy at the moment.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
i know one liners are discouraged but

bush

is

a

douche

bag

i have nothing else to say of him, its just not working, we need to see other people, we can still be friends, wait, no, no we cant

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
i know one liners are discouraged but

bush

is

a

douche

bag

i have nothing else to say of him, its just not working, we need to see other people, we can still be friends, wait, no, no we cant

My, what an intelligent and insightful post that was!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
as far as i'm concerned, america is tired of "nation building". if isreal
wants to reel iran in, get to it....i don't wish to help!!

i'm tired of my money and children fighting for someone else.....
if iran attacks america, i'll take my old ass back to fight but until
then......screw them all!!!!!!

[edit on 9-1-2008 by last time here]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I guess merely just frustration with whats going on all over

its what came to mind and what I posted

I stand by my remarks

10-4

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I'm no fan of Bush But I fail to grasp why anyone defends the Iranian regime. Iran's leaders are doing there best to provoc(SP?) a war with the US and its allies . Before Iran snatched the RN sailors they tried the same trick with the RAN circumstances and quick decision making prevented the incident from happening.

I have to agree with that. Seems like they are pushing Western countries at sea, almost daring someone to actually attack them. The RAN, the RN, now the US Navy.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Do people honestly think Iran is a threat to 'national security?' They're halfway across the globe! Just like Saddam and his WMDs...Well we all know how that turned out.

As it borders Afghanistan (current US occupation) and Iraq (current US occupation), I am surprised we have not sent our troops in yet. Then again, I'm sure their defenses are quite extensive.

I learned today that Iran has a 3,000 year old irrigation system (Qanat) with over 250,000 miles of tunnels (yes, I know that's a lot of water).

We would stand no chance of invading such a massive defensible country. None.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.fao.org...

Not to mention their military:

I say good luck to those ground troops invading this place:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

just cause you think we wouldnt stand a chance doesnt mean it wont happen

stupid things are always happening when it comes to politics, wars, and just life in general

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

xpert,

How do you know what Iran wants to do? Do you have a friend in the Iranian cabinet or something like that?

It seems both sides of the table are barking for war, but the US military actually has the guns to back their words up.

You know Iran is just trying to save face with their neighbors by flaunting what they have.

There will be no Iranian attack.

P.S. There's no democracy in Iraq, nor in the US (Constitutional Republic).

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Do people honestly think Iran is a threat to 'national security?' They're halfway across the globe! Just like Saddam and his WMDs...Well we all know how that turned out.

We would stand no chance of invading such a massive defensible country. None.[edit on 1/9/2008 by biggie smalls]

Well, the Iranians are messing around with Nukes. Maybe it is just nuclear energy, maybe the are looking for the bomb. Who knows?

The Straits are right next to them. If they want to feed that "wild hair", the can decide to close off the Straits. Guess where all the oil is shipped thru? That makes it a threat to National Security.

Would we stand a chance invading? Yes, we would. We'd take a bunch of casualities, but I know that the Iranian Army would, too.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Do people honestly think Iran is a threat to 'national security?'

Iran is a threat to regional security . Iran wouldn't be a direct threat to New Zealand which is the country I live in as they are made out to be. but the very fact they fear democracy and they want a war with the west should make you weary. The people of the ME region have been held back by there own religion and have been prevented from becoming inventive and prospectus(SP?) society's .

We would stand no chance of invading such a massive defensible country. None.

I would expect to see a air campaign rather then a Gulf War 2 style conflict.

How do you know what Iran wants to do?

Rational thinking mostly. Take the Soviet Union and North Korea for example. The Berlin wall was build to prevent the flow of ideas as much as much preventing the movement of people. So having the kind of freedom that comes of ideas that comes with democracy next to Iran is judged to be a threat by the leaders of Iran.

It seems both sides of the table are barking for war, but the US military actually has the guns to back their words up.

Iran gains far more from a war with the US the anyone else for reasons already noted.

P.S. There's no democracy in Iraq,

Well that is another topic I have dealt with elsewhere on the boards.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by xpert11]

[edit on 9-1-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
jericho65,

We are messing with nukes, so are Iran's neighbors Pakistan, India, Israel; shall I continue?

The Iranians deserve an equal piece of the pie regardless. If they want to use nuclear energy, who are we to stop them?

We need to break our dependence from oil as this sort of thing doesn't need to happen.

We are playing with fire in the Middle East. Peak oil has come and gone. The days of cheap fossil fuels are gone. We need to implement new technologies (Solar, Wind, Geothermal?, Hydroelectric for large scale, biodiesel for transportation). That means no more subsidies for oil companies (and farmers).

If you will read up, I mentioned Hormuz already. As for being a threat to national security, we have allowed it to become a threat. There is no reason for us to ship billions of barrels of oil per year from the Middle East. We have plenty of energy that can be grown and harvested on our own soil. Its sad we would actually invade another country over energy (yes, Iraq is an energy war of sorts, among other things...Payback for Bushie Sr eh?).

The casualties would be possibly greater than World War 2...Do you want to see that happen? I for one am not ready to die for some bull# like oil, are you?

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Who says they want war with the west?

The President of Iran has mentioned wiping the region controlling Israel off the map and possibly its supporters, but once we stop funding Israel's terrorism we'll be all set.

I don't think the average Iranian 'fears' democracy, they actually have a version of it (if you would consider what we have in the US democracy).

The people in power in most of these countries have lost it, yours and mine included.

However, the average (wo)man will not start a war based on false pretenses. The only ones doing that seems to be us.

I don't want to get into a religious discussion, but I could say that Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. is holding each respective culture in check. We are all being brainwashed to a certain extent based on our handling from birth to death.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

They way the article reads to me is that Olmert said it, not bush. that Bush said the investigation yielded no evidence of nuclear weapons. It seems that Olmert is doing the mongering, not bush.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Kudos to you for the research...

Great post but disappointing to read this... anything to do with Bush lately gives me an urgh! feeling.

I just wonder, if a war breaks out before elections, what will that mean for the USA?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join