It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mean Mom Sells Sons Car...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone -- by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

CNN : Story

This is great. I love parents who "get it" and are not affraid to take action.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Good for her! If more parents dealt with their kids strictly, alot of the problems with out of control youth wouldn't be so wide-spread.

She set the rules, he broke them, too bad for the kid. Maybe he'll follow the rules next time.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Responsible Mom Sells Son's Car......

I can only stand up and applaud this parents action. She bought the car, she set the rules, and now she may very well have saved his life.

The teenage years are not known to be the most sensible part of a humans life and her son may learn a very valuable lesson now that will serve him well as he grows.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Brutal.

Probably one of those control freak smothering kind.

Well he is an adult, he can get a job and buy his own then flip her the bird and get on with life.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Good for her; she's not the Meanest Mom she's a good loving Mom the likes of which we need for of.

I'm betting her son doesn't have alcohol in his car again.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
She can't of been that mean... She brought him the car in the first place.

No one has brought ME a car *sniff. - Okay my parents did fund my love of fixing and wreaking cheap 2nd hand motorcycles and some one did kinda give me an old Peageout which was then passed on for parts --- But my point is I want a car now goddammit!!

Oh yhea alcohol and roads do not mix - good on her

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I have just a few questions about this though. The teenager is legally an adult, right?

So who's name was the car under? If the son, then I wonder if this is legal to do.

If it was still under her name (which it almost certainly was) then this is a totally cool thing to do. He's basically driving her car around drinking. Any property damage will fall on her lap. Her insurance premium will go up, and she will take the hit in the long run. Not only is she protecting her son physically, she's protecting herself financially.

Go Mom!!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm with the rest of you...Good for her! Kids these days

I can imagine the smart mouthing her son must have done- for her to construct the sales ad in that manner. That ad wasn't for other people, she wrote that ad for the kid to see. He's lucky she didn't slap his mouth right off his face. Maybe I'm a mean mom too? I can take anything away if I bought it, and my kids don't get their name on the titles until they move out!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Ha ha!

If she goes through with it and sells the car, then that is just awesome!

But, bet the kid goes in to a deep depression, looses all his friends, cos his mom is *NUTS* and becomes a reclusive alcoholic...

... and a member of BTS!!

Monkey

SR

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Brutal.

Probably one of those control freak smothering kind.

Well he is an adult, he can get a job and buy his own then flip her the bird and get on with life.

QFT by reading the story you get the vibe that she's one these moms that'd never approve of any girl you bring to meet the parents either lol. That guy needs to make a break for it before it's too late and ends up still at home when he's 40.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Don't know what the 'girl' thing is all about, but I'm betting it's a call she made about her future standing with her insurance company, combined with a disciplinary action against the son.

If he drives into a wall, her premiums will skyrocket, especially if he's drunk.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
at 3am this morning there was one of many crappy US morning breakfast shows on, they done an interview with the mum + son.

they were both cool with it. the son was a bit pissed at first but hes not angry.

he accepts she was only looking out for him and he said she's not a mean mum, but some of his friends rang her as a joke and asked for "the meanest mum on the planet" and she replied "yes, speaking" LOL

i dunno if selling it to humiliate him is right, but i definately would have made sure it was going nowhere for quite some time.

after all, she didnt just sell the car, she went one further by turning the advert into a public rant which should have been kept in the privacy of their home.

[edit on 10/1/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
for mom!

When I was in high school, my mom threatened to sell my car if I failed French 11. I should have taken her threat a little more seriously because I spent the next year on the bus.

At least she didn't put an ad in the paper calling me stupid.

new topics

top topics

join