It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Network Solutions is stealing your domains.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

It must be true. Why else would they bother taking the time to register a website with that hame. WHOIS data clearly shows that they registered that site and they own it.

This whole thing is a scam. I hope it blows up in their face. The thing is that most news networks won't discuss stuff like this because it seems a bit too geeky for them. It is a very interesting finding.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just a thought... wait 24 hours or so from the time the fake ones are "registered" and check back. They may actually be reserved with the idea to protect the dom for the applicant. If after a reasonable length of time it turns out that it is still "being hung on to" pick up the phone and say hey, what gives?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 10-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
You're not kidding. I made up an outrageous name (kangaroolicklollypopsfrommom.com) which resulted in a 404. Once I searched for that through networks solutions, it appears that they have now registered the name.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by dbates]

You got to be $h!t'n me?

Thanks to the original poster for this info and people who have tested it out.

I can't wait to forward this info.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
found this over at

www.circleid.com...

Jonathon Nevett, Vice President of Policy at Network Solutions, has offered the following in response to the news break:

“I’d like to clarify what we are doing. In response to customer concerns about Domain Name Front Running (domains being registered by someone else just after they have conducted a domain name search), we have implemented a security measure to protect our customers. The measure will kick in when a customer searches for an available domain name at our website, but decides not to purchase the name immediately after conducting the search.

After the search ends, we will put the domain name on reserve. During this reservation period, the name is not active and we do not monetize the traffic on these domains. If a customer searches for the domain again during the next 4 days at networksolutions.com, the domain will be available to register. If the domain name is not purchased within 4 days, it will be released back to the registry and will be generally available for registration.

This protection measure provides our customers the opportunity to register domains they have previously searched without the fear that the name will be already taken through Front Running.

You are correct that we are trying to take an arrow out of the quiver of the tasters. As you know, domain tasters are the largest Front Runners. Due to no fault of registrars, Front Runners purchase search data from Internet Service Providers and/or registries and then taste those names. Some folks may not agree with our approach, but we are trying to prevent this malicious activity from impacting our customers.”

[edit: added appropriate external source tags]
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
i say we all copyright/trademark a name. make it official, then use their service to search. when it gets registered we can sue.

[edit after above post]

nevermind. that actually seems somewhat reasonable from that perspective. =)

[edit on 10-1-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Also found the following reply from someone at Network Solutions...

Reply # 18
www.circleid.com...

"Hi ,

I am Shashi Bellamkonda from Network Solutions .We have been listening to comments here as well as those on other sites regarding our customer protection measure. Throughout the launch of this effort we have made, and continue to make, improvements to our protection measure. I want to update you on some of the improvements we are implementing in the near term:

1) We have changed the current webpage to which reserved domain names resolve to a general under construction page. Additionally, all new reserved names after tonight will not resolve to any page at all.
2) This week, we will be making enhancements that will address the concerns related to disclosure of zone file and DNS server information of the reserved names. This should address some of the concerns recently raised.
3) Very soon we will remove our customer protection measure from our WHOIS search page, so that no domains searched on this page will be reserved. We will continue to reserve, however, domains searched from our homepage.

Thanks for all the feedback and viewpoints.

Shashi"

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by amerish
Jonathon Nevett, Vice President of Policy at Network Solutions, has offered the following in response to the news break:

“After the search ends, we will put the domain name on reserve. During this reservation period, the name is not active and we do not monetize the traffic on these domains. If a customer searches for the domain again during the next 4 days at networksolutions.com, the domain will be available to register. If the domain name is not purchased within 4 days, it will be released back to the registry and will be generally available for registration. ”

so how do they know who searched for the domain originally? Whenever I have contacted NetworkSolutions for a domain that they had "reserved," the price was about 100x the usual price of $6-10. I've inquired on domain names from them at least 6 times over the past 7 years.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think it's a scam to lock in sales to their site. I tried to register kangaroolicklollypopsfrommom.com at GoDaddy.com today, but they can't help me. Cause it's already registered to someone else.

The bit about protecting the domain name is a sham. While I wasn't the one to query the name yesterday, I'm free to register networksolutionssupportspedophiles.com on their site. On their site only. "It's not robbery if we force you to buy it from us. You wanted to buy it anyway didn't you?"

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
They are definitely making money on it, no matter how they try to spin it.

It's Front Running regardless of what they claim.

If I cannot register it at godaddy or another competitor and must use their service, then they are monetizing the process, locking out competitors that offer the same service for far less cost.

If we are to believe what they claim (protect consumers) and they want to continue the process... they should clearly indicate what will happen when you search using their website.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
glad you guys are seeing through the b.s.

this is a great example of horrible business ethics. It's more of the same "we protect you for your own good" mentality that is hurting us in so many other aspects of life.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
glad you guys are seeing through the b.s.

this is a great example of horrible business ethics. It's more of the same "we protect you for your own good" mentality that is hurting us in so many other aspects of life.

Depending on your local law and its degree of extraterritoriality it's also potentially:

obtaining by false pretences (criminal)
a type of fraud (criminal)
anti-competitive behaviour for profit (trade practices, anti-competitive, possibly criminal but highly unlikely)
misrepresentation (fraud / trade practices / civil action)

and the list goes on.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
NO SHEET!!!????!!!

You know, I was wondering on many occasions when checking domains to park for one of my future sites if in fact they were being immediately stolen by one of these ransom sites.

I guess they are....Something else to Pi$$ me off!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
I think it's a scam to lock in sales to their site. I tried to register kangaroolicklollypopsfrommom.com at GoDaddy.com today, but they can't help me. Cause it's already registered to someone else.

LOL!

That is the funniest twisted damn name to have picked. Great work in your test. I forwarded this info to about 10 law firms that specialized in Internet litigation, maybe they can pick up a few clients?

I'll bet some attorney's will find a way to bring this to federal court. I have seen it before on many internet cases. The first thing that comes to mind is Class Action.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if these domain names are indeed released after 96 hours as they say they will. If so then it seems they are actually doing as they say, otherwise I think the hounds should be released on them...

Hounds = Money hungry lawyers

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There is no doubt that there is an angle. It sucks!

If you notice now when you look for a domain name there are "Premium Names". These are available domain names that the domain sites sell for another company for a higher price.

Its a behind the back way of selling them for more than the basic $12 or whatever price they are supposed to sell them for. Its obvious what they are doing. They sell a chunk of favorable domain names to a separate company and then they can allow the names to show up in the domain search as available for a premium price from another company that they are not affiliated with. Hmmm I wonder if they get a piece of the pie?

Domainers have been doing this for years and all the domain sites are tired of not getting some of the cash. Its domain squatting plain and simple.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Dslreports tells us The story

Network Solutions is under fire this week for domain "front running," or for purchasing and holding certain domains after they're searched for at the company's website, thereby not letting anyone buy the domain at other registrars

If you click the forum link from dslreports it reports an increase in domain price for the act of saving your searched domain name when you register it with them.

I would not use network solutions.....

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'll just make a program that does searches for all domains and have them automatically purchase them until they go bankrupt.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
So they do front running, in order to prevent front running?
Yeah, very convincing..

It's like "We're gonna steal from you, so someone else doesn't. We're just doing you a favour."

[edit on 10-1-2008 by deezee]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Unreal

To bad there is nothing ICANN can do about it. I think the rules need to be updated to prevent this crap from happening.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
That's pretty screwed up. Good find! Hopefully they will be shut down... I'll add to helping that happen hah.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join