It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Apostasy Underway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

According to the American Religious Identification Survey, conducted by the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, the share of American adults who do not subscribe to any religion increased from 8 percent in 1990 to more than 14 percent — about 30 million people — in 2001.

"Forty-three percent of Americans don't attend church," said Paul Kurtz, founder and chairman of the Amherst, N.Y.-based Center for Inquiry. "A lot of people realize they don't believe in religion, and they don't want the state to meddle in private belief. They're looking to literature, ethics or philosophy to get guidance."

source

Is there really a rising tide of atheism in this country? If so, then I am going completely against the flow. My connection to God via the Holy Spirit, and my devotion to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the spiritual movement that is Christianity has never been stronger and continues to increase. It is a great blessing in my life, and I am humbly thankful.

If this is truly happening, then why? I live in SoCal, and after the recent wildfires, I suddenly saw a faith based display, complete with Bibles and devotional materials, spring up just inside the entrance to the local grocery store. I would think in times like these, with the current world situation what it is, that multitudes would be turning to God, not away.

Fred Edwords, a spokesman for the American Humanist Association, says nonbelievers are pouring out of the closet. He cites the Bush administration for the atheist surge. "You see their favoritism toward conservative religion," he said, "and the influence religion has had on foreign policy, and I think a lot of atheists said, 'We're fed up.' "

Fed up with what, Bush or God? We are not to put our faith in men. I think there is a fundamental misconception going on here, and I have great concern for those who are falling under its sway.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I would think in times like these, with the current world situation what it is, that multitudes would be turning to God, not away.

One can simply look around this board and see that unless a man is drawn, he will not come.

My personal opinion here, whatever that's worth (probably not much). My opinion is that many have been drawn to the water and refused to drink. Now have been handed over to religion, atheism, or whatever they've chosen to chase after.

The use of the enemy in this last time is very much important. They certainly aren't being used against their will either. They are very much delighted to play along. Based on the evidence that's everywhere to be seen.

Based on my studies, the falling away began once upon a time when one man claimed the title of "holy father" and it's been gradually growing ever since. What seems to be becoming more pronounced now are all the harlot's children.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Even though I am way more spiritual now, than I was a year ago, I think it is under way.

Right after 911, the news was reporting that Churches were filled to capacity. That statement says it all. Where were these people on a good day? We lost around 3000 people that day, but when the tsunami hit and hundreds of thousands died, there was no comments in the news that the Churches were filled to capacity then.

There used to be a really good thread around here by valhall about the apostasy but it's gone. I wish they could dig that one back up.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If the Apostasy is truly underway, then the revealing of the anti-christ and the second coming of the Messiah are very near, as well.

Thank you to WiseSheep and Myrtales Instinct. May the Good Lord bless and keep us. God always sets aside His remnant.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think people are just following their own beliefs rather than having some preacher dictate to him/her what he/she should or should not believe. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I can't tell you how long it's been since I stepped foot into a "church." It has been over 2 years, I know.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think that is perfectly ok, as long as you continue to practice your faith, and don't isolate yourself from other believers.

Matthew 18

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Let me apologize for not clarifying my position a tad bit better. I don't go to Church either, for I know where the real Temple is. Once the words leap off the pages at you and all the little moments of clarity start heaping upon one another, we are much better equipped to lean less on man and more on ourselves.

There is no easy way to change peoples mindsets. Every single one of us go through life carrying cup after cup of burden and sorrow and that has a whole lot to do with the apostasy in my opinion. People become hardened for so many reasons and it makes it easier and easier to fall away from the truths, that many of us know exist. Going to Church is good for fellowship but it's not good to rely on Brother Larry, Father Mo or Preacher Curly for complete understanding. Too many people allow someone else to critically think for them and then they become lost in translation.

God did not intend for things to be that way. I would be more inclined to go to a Bible study group who drew lots for the teaching of a lesson, than to sit week after week and listen to someone elses interpretation of scripture because it may not jive with my own line of thinking.

The big question is how do we help fellow man to not fall away from the truths. It doesn't help to constantly shove doom & gloom at them. There is enough of that in peoples lives already. There needs to be more positive messages tossed out at people. Some people tend to forget that Christs message was one of peace, love and hope and they get mired down in end time prophecy. He taught and did great things and end time prophecy was not his main focus, so it shouldn't be ours. People need hope even if we are living in the End times. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't know. We just need a different approach than doom & gloom.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I agree. Hope, faith, and courage, as well as the high spirits that come from them, are what we need in the face of doom and gloom. We shouldn't kid ourselves about the times we live in, though. Knowing that you are saved eternally goes a long way toward mitigating the stress of the moment.

One thing we should all agree on is the Second Coming of Christ is a good thing. Yes, it will be difficult and painful for most of the world's population. Still, we all make our own beds, don't we? Childbirth is difficult and painful, too, but bringing a newborn baby into the world is a blessing that far outweighs the pangs of delivery. Just ask any new mom.

Once the words leap off the pages at you and all the little moments of clarity start heaping upon one another, we are much better equipped to lean less on man and more on ourselves. Going to Church is good for fellowship but it's not good to rely on Brother Larry, Father Mo or Preacher Curly for complete understanding.

I agree with this as well. Everything must be run through the Biblical filter and past the inner compass of the Holy Spirit. What is such a blessing about my recent experience is the way everything, my daily devotions and Bible reading, weekly Bible study, and the Sunday message all dovetail into and reinforce each other. Even the happenstance and circumstance of my daily life are included. It is truly amazing how God is guiding my life since I surrendered it to Him.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

If this is truly happening, then why? I live in SoCal, and after the recent wildfires, I suddenly saw a faith based display, complete with Bibles and devotional materials, spring up just inside the entrance to the local grocery store. I would think in times like these, with the current world situation what it is, that multitudes would be turning to God, not away.

I really don't mind that less and less people now believe in Zeus... oh wait, I'm guessing you're talking about a different God (?).

Because people are starting to become more inclined to to embrace reason and logic instead of superstition. As the average induvidual becomes more educated the urge to invoke God for things they do not understand fades away. Belief in any God is unneccssary in todays world and is ultimatly a big negative drain on society. This is a very positive trend and hopefully within 100 years atheists will by far outnumber theists.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentGem

You are entitiled to your beliefs and I wish you the best on the road to eternity.

Belief is not a matter of education or advanced technology. Reason and logic will eventually prove to you there is more you don't undertstand than there is you do.

We need God in our lives now more than ever.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't believe it's apostasy, but rather a gradual fading away of relligion from the lives of more and more people as they become more educated and realize it's unnecessary and at times, a hindrance to them.

Occam

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Religion may be unnecessary, but spirituality isn't.

What sort of hindrance are you talking about, anyway? It would certainly be a moral hindrance to someone willing to sacrifice it all for fame or fortune. I realize loving your neighbor as yourself can get in the way of taking advantage of people.

It cracks me up to read these comments about education diminishing the need for religion. Any truly educated person realizes the more they know, the more there is to know, and the more they will never know.

I think the perception of what religion is may be the problem here. Some may be turned off by what they consider the hypocrisy of many people who claim to be religious. Others may chafe at the behavioral restrictions they perceive religion imposing. All I can say about it is I consider these shallow, shortsighted points of view generated by individuals who are looking for reasons to deny the validity of religion in the first place.

True religious expression is born of a deep spirituality that connects with a plane of existence which cannot be experienced through the five senses and empiricism. Don't deny or aviod your spiritual awakening. Actively seek it, and express it in a way that brings you joy and peace. Through this, you will cease trying to defame or deny the same to others.

By the way, what you are describing above fits the definition of apostasy. I guess you were just trying to slam religion.

apostasy - an abandoning of what one has believed in, as a faith, cause, principles, etc.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You are entitiled to your beliefs and I wish you the best on the road to eternity.

Belief is not a matter of education or advanced technology. Reason and logic will eventually prove to you there is more you don't undertstand than there is you do.

Thanks, I already know there is more things that I don't understand that there is I do.

We need God in our lives now more than ever.

Define God.
Define We.

....and no I do not.

new topics

top topics

join