It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Catholic Priests unable to marry?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is my first post so I thought I'd start it off with something that I truly do not comprehend. If this has been discussed, I'm sorry!

I did some researching on this topic and stumbled across a Catholic Website www.catholiceducation.org... that said that in the beginning a Catholic Priest was able to marry and only at a later time did they decide that it would be better for them to be celibate.

There's only one problem with this, who decided this, and why did they decide this?

I never got the "Who" part answered on the website but it did mention that it more closely followed the life of Jesus Christ and made people more open to sacrifice Earthly things if the priest had made a sacrifice of celibacy....

While this makes sense to a religious person or a Catholic, it doesn't to me... What does make more sense is the fact that if a Priest were allowed to marry his children could possibly become the next Priest or Bishop due to politics..

Or better yet, what happens to a priest's assets when a Priest passes away? I know most Priests aren't living a Grandiose life but back in the day it's very probable that they owned the church, the land it resides on, and all of the tithes he had collected over the years... Now let's say that Priest goes and gets married. When he passes away logically the land and money would belong to his wife.... OHHHH, that's when it hit me. Maybe they went against God's wishes to help secure their finances during that time. They probably got stiffed quite a few times and were perturbed so the powers that be (in the church) came up with a convenient fix for this.. Don't let them get married!

I know that may sound kind of out there, but isn't the Vatican basically a big bank? They have all sorts of gold and religious relics made from all sorts of precious gems and metals and never fail to flaunt them when they get the chance.

So basically what I'm asking is...... Did the Catholic Church directly defy God's wishes by making a priest celibate? Why would it be fine for them to marry for hundreds of years and then it became a rule that they could not? Could this be another example of the imperfection of man tainting the perfection of God's will?

With the child abuse/molestation scandals in todays times it very well could be a breaking point for the RCC and they can trace it back to one point in time when they were absolutely too greedy for their own good. Maybe they've assured their own death sentence?

(Please Note: I'm not a religious person but I am very spiritual.. I'm not against Christianity at all, I just don't accept everything I read at face value)

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stalks in Shadows
This is my first post so I thought I'd start it off with something that I truly do not comprehend. If this has been discussed, I'm sorry!

I did some researching on this topic and stumbled across a Catholic Website www.catholiceducation.org... that said that in the beginning a Catholic Priest was able to marry and only at a later time did they decide that it would be better for them to be celibate.

Well, by the time Roman Catholic Church [RCC in later text] started to impose more and more new things which led formally to schism 1054. And then RCC continued with it and that led to Reformation. The same is with celibate. In Orthodox Church man can’t become priest if he is not married!

While this makes sense to a religious person or a Catholic, it doesn't to me... What does make more sense is the fact that if a Priest were allowed to marry his children could possibly become the next Priest or Bishop due to politics..

You want to say nepotism, right? That’s the reason [I think] RCC did, too. To stop/prevent nepotism. You know, bishops in early period also married but that was later forbidden, I think once Christianity became official religion of Roman Empire to prevent nepotism. So, in RCC priests and monks can become bishops, and in Orthodox Church only monks.

I know that may sound kind of out there, but isn't the Vatican basically a big bank? They have all sorts of gold and religious relics made from all sorts of precious gems and metals and never fail to flaunt them when they get the chance.

Not basically big bank [well, you sound almost like Luther
], but Vatican own bank(s) and is rich.

So basically what I'm asking is...... Did the Catholic Church directly defy God's wishes by making a priest celibate? Why would it be fine for them to marry for hundreds of years and then it became a rule that they could not? Could this be another example of the imperfection of man tainting the perfection of God's will?

Celibate is bad for priests, I agree. It’s ok and should be for monks, after all, they are mostly isolated from ordinary people in monasteries but priests have every day interaction with ordinary people.

With the child abuse/molestation scandals in todays times it very well could be a breaking point for the RCC and they can trace it back to one point in time when they were absolutely too greedy for their own good. Maybe they've assured their own death sentence?

Yea, that’s why that almost can’t happen in Orthodox Church as priests are married, have children and if you want, proper sexual life

(Please Note: I'm not a religious person but I am very spiritual.. I'm not against Christianity at all, I just don't accept everything I read at face value)

It is very sad that in the West people always identify Christianity through RCC.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Stalks in Shadows

ultimately i think it was a way of being pure and undefiled like virgin and thus being more able to be accepted into the kingdom of heaven

of course this theology is man made and narcissitic, as most things in life can be

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stalks in Shadows

yep, they were able to marry. the bible even says that certain clergy should only have ONE wife... which meant that the church was, at one point, cool with polytheism.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks... To MurderCityDevil: What about cases where they became a priest later in life? It doesn't say they have to be a virgin, just celibate once they take their vows..

Yes, Vojvoda, I agree with your views about Nepotism and Wealth and no I don't lump Christianity into just Catholicism because I'm from a place where there are NO Catholic churches. Mostly the old fire and brimstone Baptists, Pentecostals, and now these satan inspired "Charismatic Churches." I simply was addressing the RCC because it's big in the news/talks right now.

Good Day everyone, thanks for the replies.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by Stalks in Shadows]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The Bible mentions the 144,000 who are pure for God when he calls them up, but I guess they will be living and not brought back to life from the grave.

The Bible tells that giving into marriage is some type of sin or is seperate from God. But then again, is man meant to stop of all a sudden and why is then God pleased that Issac and Ishmael have many decendents because of Abrahmam and yet be proud of it?

But I guess if it is speaking froma priests point of you it's one thing and mankind another. Most of the prophets which are higher up than priest had kids and woman, so why not?

No wonder Christians are being out bread and have 2.4 childeren or shall we say 0.9 in Italy per family.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

yep, they were able to marry. the bible even says that certain clergy should only have ONE wife... which meant that the church was, at one point, cool with polytheism.

They are 'married' to the Church.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

the bible even says that certain clergy should only have ONE wife... which meant that the church was, at one point, cool with polytheism.

Huh? Do you mean polygamy?

As for the original post: I think they accidentally took some verses out of context concerning marriage. As Madness said, they are allowed and possibly even encouraged to marry. Not sure why the Catholic church created this dogma but it is not bliblical. Both letters to Timothy are instructions for pastors and deacons and marriage is mentioned as permissible. Then a prophecy is given concerning false teachers and their false doctrine: "They forbid people to marry..." This concerns a future false teaching that would appear in the church. Paul evidently foresaw this occurring.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply Ashley!

I was waiting for someone with some Biblical knowledge to enlighten me on some of it. So if Paul saw this coming then he's basically bashing Catholicism way before it ever really came about? He foresaw the madness that the Catholic church would bring upon Christianity... Doesn't the whole Vatican Banking thing start to sound like when Jesus came upon the Temple and knocked over the table of the people collecting the coins? Since when does God need money? Sounds like the same story is repeating itself again, I wonder when God will send his son to knock over their tables and upset their racket scheme?

That brings up an interesting point guys...

Is the Anti-Christ going to be the Pope? He's a world-leader (in some ways) and proclaims to be a the top of the hierarchy on the pathway to God... Basically second to only God.. This current Pope seems to be all about making himself look good and grandiose to the world while he shoves horrible things under the blanket.. Looks like the making of some Mob leader or something?

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer

They are 'married' to the Church.

Not really, they are married to the Word would be a better interpretation.

I think celibacy is setting them up for failure, everyone knows how much sexual frustration can upset your whole life. Some people even commit suicide over such things.. Imagine being tempted your entire life by this... It's not like Priests are Jesus himself, no one has the restraint he had and to say that they could be just like him cheapens what Jesus is.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Down in the deep recesses of a monastery came a deep, long cry.
There sat a monk sitting before an original manuscript, hands clasped to his head in despair as he cried out: "My God, the word is celebrate - not celibate!"

- Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

Haha, with the stupidity I've seen in some of our Church and World Leaders that idea would not surprise me at all.

Thanks for your alternative theory!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So if Paul saw this coming then he's basically bashing Catholicism way before it ever really came about?

Not to bash Catholics because I know many of them love God just as much as I do but, yes, much of their dogma is not mentioned in the Bible but was later created by man. Unfortunately, due to the corrupt medieval Catholic church, common people were not allowed to own Bibles so they could not correct many false doctrines.

But this is not the only thing that was foreseen. Another confusing thing concerning the Catholic church is that they (and a few other sects) refer to their pastors with the title "Father." The Bible specifically commands us to never call a pastor "Father" as we have only one Father in Heaven. It also says to pray directly to God through Jesus as He is our only intercessor. The Catholic church permits and teaches that prayer to the saints and Mary should be done as they are also our intercessors.

Those are just a few examples and there are many more. Not sure why man created a system so opposed to Biblical teachings when this was their source. Really odd.

[edit on 1/9/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Is the Anti-Christ going to be the Pope?

Some believe it is more likely he will be the false prophet due to some biblical interpretation. It is more likely the Antichrist will tie into the Islamic prophecy concerning the Al Mahdi. What he is supposed to be is uncannily similar to the Christian Antichrist.

Our Antichrist and their Al Mahdi (basically, the Muslim "Messiah") will both be in power for seven years, head a one world government, head a one world economy, force all to convert to a single religion while all those who refuse will be killed, be accompanied by a religious leader who backs up everything they do, can only appear after world wide war and turmoil, etc. It is pretty eerie how much they have in common with one another. It is even scarier because the president of Iran already admitted he is personally paving the way for the Al Mahdi's appearance.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Very true...

But I can say the same for every single church I've seen or been to...

They've all got little quirks and practices that have no place in Christianity or the Bible yet they make their way in none-the-less.

Too many people start to idolize their pastor, preacher, what have you and start to miss the real message he's trying to bring. That's why I say I'm not religious but spiritual because I can look past all this worldly crap created by men. It never ceases to amaze me that pastors can preach out of a church and profit off of people's tithes because we all know where the money goes, into their pockets and the church they run.

Jesus walked around from place to place preaching, lead a life of physical misery and pain, and did without all of the world's comfort to bring a message to the world. But people's heads are shoved so far up their @$$ they can't even see that the person they trust to teach them the word is wrong from the get-go. If a pastor wants my respect, he needs to get out of that physical church (a church could technically be anywhere he holds service), get out and preach to the world, and depend on the love of God to see him through, not a bunch of people paying him a salary.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Some believe it is more likely he will be the false prophet due to some biblical interpretation. It is more likely the Antichrist will tie into the Islamic prophecy concerning the Al Mahdi. What he is supposed to be is uncannily similar to the Christian Antichrist.

Our Antichrist and their Al Mahdi (basically, the Muslim "Messiah") will both be in power for seven years, head a one world government, head a one world economy, force all to convert to a single religion while all those who refuse will be killed, be accompanied by a religious leader who backs up everything they do, can only appear after world wide war and turmoil, etc. It is pretty eerie how much they have in common with one another. It is even scarier because the president of Iran already admitted he is personally paving the way for the Al Mahdi's appearance.

But on the same note, doesn't it seem odd that we have politicians in America urging us to be an army of God? It's like they, themselves, are trying to bring about the apocalypse by starting a new world war. I'd be willing to argue with you that most Christians that are outspoken are just as radical in belief and ways as the Muslims.... It also worth mentioning that some Christians are also urging to start this holy war with Islam. I know not all Christians are, but the same goes for Muslims.. I know several Muslim folks who think that the Radicals are the most retarded they've ever heard.

It all comes down to how you want to interpret it.. When it comes down to it, the Bible, Koran, whatever was written by men no matter how much we want to deny it.. It was also copied several hundred times from several different languages that might not even have meaning for the same words.. I'm sure quite a bit has been lost in translation, in fact, I'd be willing to bet my life on it.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow. One of these threads and budski didn't start it.
That's twice in two days I've been shocked in this forum.

Did the Catholic Church directly defy God's wishes by making a priest celibate?

No. In scripture we see St. Paul advising those who wish to 'serve the Lord' to do so without getting married. It makes good sense. You can't have a priest needing to be out at all hours - giving last rites, etc etc .. that means he'd neglect his family. You can't have the priest taking his kids to a soccer game and having the person who's confession he just heard standing next to him in 'every day chat'. It wouldn't work. St. Paul was dead on.

Why would it be fine for them to marry for hundreds of years and then it became a rule that they could not?

it's a DISCIPLINE .. not a rule. Disciplines can be changed according to the needs of the church. Rules can't.

With the child abuse/molestation scandals in todays times ...

Pedophilia has nothing to do with a grown person giving up sex. The two are completely unrelated.

the bible even says that certain clergy should only have ONE wife

That was DEACONS - not priests. It it was in regards to deacons getting married again after their wife dies ... it had nothing to do with having more than one wife at a time.

Is the Anti-Christ going to be the Pope?

Oh .. you are one of THOSE, eh? My advice - quit reading Jack Chick tracts. They are warped and will melt your mind.

Originally posted by AshleyD
much of their dogma is not mentioned in the Bible

Catholics have Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition. Big deal.
Carrying on Sacred Tradition is encouraged in the bible.

common people were not allowed to own Bibles

That's wrong. Common people would have been allowed to own bibles, but the problem is that they couldn't read. There were ample bibles in the universities and elsewhere. It was a matter of READING .. not owning. And there were many 'false bibles' trying to be put out in print - those that had errors in printing. THOSE are the false bibles that the church didn't want out.

they ... refer to their pastors with the title "Father." The Bible specifically commands us to never call a pastor "Father"

WRONG. The Catholic church refers to the priest as Father, but the bible does NOT command that no one call their priest 'Father'. The quote is 'call no man father'. MAN. This is said and yet all the while those who wrote the N.T. refer to each other as father and son. And most people on this planet refer to their father as father.

The Catholic church permits and teaches that prayer to the saints and Mary should be done as they are also our intercessors.

Scripture says we should pray for each other. We are encouraged to ask each other to pray for us. Asking the saints to go to Christ is no different then my asking you to go to Christ.

Not sure why man created a system so opposed to Biblical teachings ...

It didn't. If you actually read the Catechism of the Catholic Church before you criticized it, then you'd understand that fact.

doesn't it seem odd that we have politicians in America urging us to be an army of God?

It's not 'politicians' ..... it's politician. One. Huckabee. He's a southern baptist minister. So of course he's going to spout rhetoric like that. Hopefully, when people hear it, they will back away from him like they should.

the Bible, ... I'm sure quite a bit has been lost in translation,

True. And since that is the case, no one should complain about how another group interprets the bible. Because it just doesn't matter.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

But on the same note, doesn't it seem odd that we have politicians in America urging us to be an army of God?

Er... I'm not aware of this. A couple here and there might talk like this but most incumbents are pretty silent when it comes to religion.

It also worth mentioning that some Christians are also urging to start this holy war with Islam. I know not all Christians are, but the same goes for Muslims.. I know several Muslim folks who think that the Radicals are the most retarded they've ever heard.

You might have some here and there who claim this but for the most part, the ecumenical church is actually trying to reach a compromise with Islam and Christianity. A concept we are bound to lose. But this is getting way off topic.

When it comes down to it, the Bible... whatever was written by men no matter how much we want to deny it..

I have answered this so many times. Yes, men have penned the Bible. True. But if you look through the Bible, and I mean really examine what is going on between the dozens of authors over several centuries, you will be amazed and the undesigned coincidences. I'll paste part of my comment from another thread when someone asked me the same question:

]It would take quite a bit of time that I don't have to go over it all but here is a brief example and my favorite: We know the Bible was written by dozens of men over a span of centuries. Numbers are used repeatedly in the Bible and have underlying spiritual significance. Even though I can see how one author could have been smart enough to have written the Bible using this system, I have a hard time believing they all purposely did this- especially while having the numbers represent the same spiritual meanings.

Also the symbolism of the Old Testament laws, temple rituals, and feasts compared to New Testament symbolism with Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. The foreshadowed symbolism is amazing compounded by the fact of multiple authors and centuries.

It was also copied several hundred times from several different languages that might not even have meaning for the same words.. I'm sure quite a bit has been lost in translation, in fact, I'd be willing to bet my life on it.

This is true, the meaning of some words do get lost in translation- show me any literally work where this doesn't happen. It is common sense that when you translate something from one language to another there will be some errors due to idioms, antiquated terminology, etc. Although a word might change here and there the concept of salvation never changes. Textual criticism aside, the Bible's basic purpose is to show man the way to God through Jesus Christ. That's it.

For a few centuries critics of the Bible used this argument repeatedly. When the Dead Sea scrolls were discovered, it was shown the modern Old Testament was uncannily similar to the ancient scrolls.

If you are a parent, would you stop buying your child clothes because you know they would be covered in grass stains within the hour? Of course not. You don't let the fact you know they're not perfect prevent you from providing for them. God is the same way. He knows corrupt man will try to distort what He has given but it doesn't keep Him from providing His plan of salvation.

Mod Edit: please do not use [ code] as it throws off the margins. Thanks

[edit on 1/10/08 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'm so glad you can come in here and solve the world's problems one post at a time and label me so quickly...

Oh .. you are one of THOSE, eh? My advice - quit reading Jack Chick tracts. They are warped and will melt your mind.

Where in the hell did that come from and who and what are you talking about? Sounds like you've been reading too much of it, you're the only one spouting off at the mouth about it.

This is a thread that was started to get serious input, not someone to come in and try to wrap it all up in one post. We are talking about a serious problem with religious dogma that's causing real damage. I had a question about it all and was looking for some worthy input, not someone to come in here and quietly bash people who posted replies.

If you would've read my entire post you would see (at the bottom) that I do not believe in the Christian God, therefore I don't believe in the anti-christ. I replied to a poster's ideas and gave some input of my own to start an intelligent conversation with people with manners. Something you obviously know nothing about.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

As with many things in the Catholic Church this was dictated by politics and economics.

Married priests would need more money to support their wives and presumably children...presumably many children since birth control is frowned upon. Upon a priests death, the wife and children would still need to be supported by the church.

Current estimates place the number of priests worlwide at 400,000. That's alot of pensions, health costs, education costs, trusts, etc. for dependents.

As an aside, as a Catholic I strongly favor a move to allow priests to marry. The Church is in crisis. In todays society it's a rare man (or woman) of good character and moral fabric who would readily choose a life of chastity and poverty over a comfortable life filled with a loving family.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join