It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Copying CDs could be made legal in UK

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Copying CDs could be made legal in UK


news.bbc.co.uk

Copying music from a CD to a home computer could be made legal under new proposals from the UK government.
Millions of people already "rip" discs to their computers and move the files to MP3 players, although the process is technically against copyright law.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
well somewhat of a surpise - whilst in the US RIAA goers after anyone who goes near a pc with a cd - in the UK they want to let you do it - just don`t share them


news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
People have always been copying music. In the 70s & 80s it was on tape cassettes. And why not? The folk who make music are rich enough.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
And why not? The folk who make music are rich enough.


This is just my opinion, but I think that is a very ignorant comment to make. You're only basing you opinions on the mega-rich performers who rake in millions upon millions each week for years upon years for their released music.

I myself make music in my home recording studio (well, its just bedroom with all the equipment I need) and I have in the past released a few tracks which have made their way to vinyl pressings and MP3s which have been distributed illegally across the net. Maybe you'd have a different opinion if YOU spent days, weeks and even months preparing a track, only for it to be downloaded illegally and without your permission via P2P and torrents


[edit on 9-1-2008 by drunknmunky]



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunknmunky
This is just my opinion, but I think that is a very ignorant comment to make. You're only basing you opinions on the mega-rich performers who rake in millions upon millions each week for years upon years for their released music.

I myself make music in my home recording studio (well, its just bedroom with all the equipment I need) and I have in the past released a few tracks which have made their way to vinyl pressings and MP3s which have been distributed illegally across the net. Maybe you'd have a different opinion if YOU spent days, weeks and even months preparing a track, only for it to be downloaded illegally and without your permission via P2P and torrents


[edit on 9-1-2008 by drunknmunky]

Music is meant to be spread for joy and happiness. It's not meant for money? Maybe you should illegally share it so that you can spread your music to more people.
But I feel your point.


[edit on 9-1-2008 by _Phoenix_]



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_
 


Thats not the point though. Do actors and directors make films for free to "spread the love"? No they certainly dont. Especially not if they spend the most part of their CAREERS performing. It just simply wouldn't happen so I dont see what the difference is.

As for musicians releasing their tracks for free, I actually made FREE & LEGAL downloads available on my website a couple of years back.I wasn't offering ALL my tracks for free, just a small handful so people could listen to my music and get a feel for it, as such. And for the record, I hardly make ANY money out of what I do.

Why not email the top 10 musicians in the world who are worth millions, if not BILLIONS and see what their response would be if you asked THEM to share their music for free. I know exactly where they'd tell you where to go...



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Illegal copying of CD, this is really somewhat a bit difficult to control. For example, you bought an original CD, you don't copy it yourself. Then your friends borrow the CD. Then it can already be copied without your knowledege.

Then there is this "for private use only". But how far can it really go?

I know some friends who copy a CD and then keeps the original CD to protect it. So it is the copied CD that is being worn out. Would you condsider it legal?

Maybe, just maybe, that it depends on the owner of the rights of the CD content if they will allow it to be copied. They may issue a waiver that is included in the original CD.

[edit on 9-1-2008 by searching_for_truth]



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunknmunky
reply to post by _Phoenix_
 


Thats not the point though. Do actors and directors make films for free to "spread the love"? No they certainly dont. Especially not if they spend the most part of their CAREERS performing. It just simply wouldn't happen so I dont see what the difference is.


Yes I know what you mean, money for your work of course.

But I think that people who would download your song for free would'nt buy it in the first place anyway, and people who do buy it know about free downloads, but choose to buy it to support you.

So in the end your neither worse off or better off, so theres no need to worry about it, you may even be better off because some people download music free that they would never even think about buying, but then decide to buy it.

Its actually all very confusing. Good luck. I wish you well.




[edit on 9-1-2008 by _Phoenix_]



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thanks again for your reply Phoenix

I see what you're saying about it being a bit of a catch 22, but my music is aimed at a very specific audience only. Those mainly being club & bedroom DJs who play hard dance music. The only real reason that people will download single tracks with this genre is to create their own mixtapes and club sets.

For example, I went to a club in London about 18 months ago where they were selling mix cd's that had been recorded by the resident DJs. As I scanned the back cover of one of the cds I found my artist name and track title on the back. They were selling these cds at a tenner a pop. Where's my royalties from the DJ making money off my track? I saw none and never have done either. I asked the lady that was selling them and she "assumed" that all and any music could be mixed without permission from the original author - which is of course not true. Even the resident DJs should know better, but like most, they simply dont care for the original author - unless its their OWN tracks of course.

Im not overly fussed about it to be honest, despite the fact that in my previous posts I seemed annoyed. Hell, we've all ripped cds and downloaded tracks off the net, it just gets my back up when people say that all musicians are rich enough anyway and it shouldnt matter to the artist when people are downloading their hard work free of charge



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Millions of people already "rip" discs to their computers and move the files to MP3 players, although the process is technically against copyright law.


What? So what the hell is iTunes for then? I thought that it was perfectly legal to rip CDs and put songs on to your mp3 player as long as it was your CD.

Are they saying that every person who owns an iPod is breaking the law?



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunknmunky


Im not overly fussed about it to be honest, despite the fact that in my previous posts I seemed annoyed. Hell, we've all ripped cds and downloaded tracks off the net, it just gets my back up when people say that all musicians are rich enough anyway and it shouldnt matter to the artist when people are downloading their hard work free of charge

Yeah I fully understand what you mean, not everyone is britney spears lol.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I agree with Drunknmunky.

I have had music signed, and on file sharing networks within 2 days of release. Not all producers live in ivory towers and own limosines. What I spent on gear and software is almost impossible to justify when people choose to steal my music.

I have no problem with backups, but at least buy the tune if you are going to back it up or copy it.



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join