It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

it is 2:55am and you can't sleep

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Some nights insomnia is a beautiful thing. Like last night. Temp was in the upper 40's. I went to the all night Wally World to get some bananas for breakfast, came home and made some coffee, and jumped on the net. Listening to the snow melting and the night sounds...

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Some nights,
You're a beautiful thing too.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Sometimes, before I get a migraine, I will develop a prodromal aura or other visual disturbances. Migraine sufferers report seeing "zig zag" lines or even actual holes in their vision before migraines. At times, I have had similar disturbances. My most typical cue that a migraine is on it's way is a peculiar type of aura that I can see. Objects will suddenly have an aura or halo surrounding it. Colors will be more intense, almost looking like dayglo. This can be rather disconcerting as, at this point, I can no longer safely operate a motor vehicle. One consolation is that I find this prodromal visual disturbance to actually be quite beautiful. I can see the most wonder kaleidescopic effects. Unfortunately, it also means that a headache is on it's way. Again, this is the time when I would take "preventer meds" or even begin taking my pain-killers.

What your describing is exactly what happens to myself,to the point of having to pull over to the side of the road whilst driving,its would be hazardous to walk while experiencing this let alone drive,there`s no pain at all,the first time this visual affect happened was only a few years ago and I thought I was going blind and got quite in a panic,since having poor eye sight all of my life figured they are giving up the ghost.Likewise now I`m happy to at least get forewarning that a migraine is pending and to take action.

And then there are the migraine triggers: like Boondock mentions, hotdogs

This was a wow moment for me,I never thought I`d hear someone else say that sausages can cause a headache to themselves as boondock did and now you as well.Well for me its not a cause of a migraine though can trigger a headache.

Another I know of to me is when a normal mild headache is felt and the Missus wants to cuddle (wink wink) as a male we dont like the excuse of sorry Hon I`ve got a headache so we soldier on,now before the event I take a pain killer because if not that mild headache will multiply x10 when realized only at the finish line how bad its got.Though cant call it a migraine because to me a migraine is a mild headache x100 and fortunately very rarely suffer from either.

I found both boondocks and your posts on this subject sort of comforting because the only person I have told is the Missus who cant fully understand what I`ve described to her,knowing now I`m not a lonely freak with it and there I was thinking I was special

Surely lack of sleep or an irregualar sleeping pattern and reading a lot is the a cause to the raised frequency of your attacks dont you think? maybe get out and run a few miles a day if you dont already will help.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Migraines are a poorly understood malady with numerous "triggers". One thing that must be clear....a migraine is not "just a headache". A migraine can literally change one's entire life style and it is not something that should dismiss. It's important to see your family physician for a referral to a neurologist. If nothing else, you should make sure that you aren't dealing with a tumor or some other neurological problem. If it is determined that you do, indeed, have migraine headaches, there are some very beneficial medications on the market that can help prevent migraines as well as medications that can help you stop that migraine.....if nothing else, to help you cope with the pain.

Incidentally, I do know that there are a lot of folks that have a real aversion to taking prescription pain killers. Well, I would like to recommend Advil Liquid tabs for migraines. They really do help!!!

As far as exercise goes, sometimes strenuous exercise can also trigger a headache! Healthy, physically fit folks get migraines too! So this is not a malady that afflicts couch potatoes. This is why some people get migraines after a strenuous workout such as after sex (thank god this isn't my
problem, not that it would stop me even if it were. )

One last suggestion, start a headache diary.....keep track of such factors as weather -- changes in barometric pressure is a suggested migraine trigger, different foods that you might eat -- dairy products, whole grained breads, bakery products made with yeast, nuts, prepared meats that might contain nitrites, chocolate and red wines all can be migraine triggers. A cue to your migraine triggers might be those foods that you have "cravings" for. Yep, often you will crave those things that actually might cause migraines....go figure.

Anyway, good luck with your migraines and please, don't refrain from seeing your family doctor. Migraines can vary in frequency and intensity over time...don't wait until you find yourself incapacitated by these debilitating headaches.

[edit on 1/10/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Sounds like good advice BT,I remember telling an optometrist about the vision problems I had experienced,who had little to say as to why and because I`m very rarely sick or suffer from migraines with the vision problems etc its out of sight out of mind type of thing.Though I will talk to a GP about it from what you`ve said .Thanks

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by jsobecky

Some nights,
You're a beautiful thing too.

You make me smile, kitten.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think the question is: how many nights have you gone without sleeping?

2... Read and weep.

Insomnia. The nights can be so beautiful. Mysterious. Quiet. Peaceful. Continuous yet often vain ATS refreshing. Playing guitar. Maybe doing something useful. Walking to the store for food and drink. And, sometimes, disturbing things. Reading disturbing comics like the forbidden Nny. Listening to music with constant head banging (even to classical) for hours. Maybe some weeping or... other, things. Strange wakefulness. Until of course you remember your responsibilities and the fact that not sleeping means they will be a poo lot harder than if you did sleep.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

... :|

Wow. A place I can actually talk about this. 2:65 usually means no one.
In that case, the moon reflects the sun's gaze well. I die to see the cash register at the store. lol

[edit on 17/1/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I'm posting my 500th post \^/007!

[Harvey Birdman]*Sigh*[/Harvey Birdman]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Caffeine can do that to you...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It's actually around 01:17AM and I'm still trying to metabolize four glasses of 'wine' I had from last night's Passover dinner.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Last night was passover? Dang it, I must have missed it.

What is passover by the way?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

Passover:

Also called Pesach, Pesah. a Jewish festival that commemorates the exodus of the Jews from Egypt and is marked chiefly by the Seder ritual and the eating of matzoth. It begins on the 14th day of Nisan and is celebrated for eight days by Orthodox and Conservative Jews outside of Israel and for seven days by Reform Jews and Jews in Israel.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately the religious holidays I attend have been boiled over with capitalism. At least there's family involved.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

Yup, I can't leave home without my parental units. They are definitely family and fun, too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join