It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wish Chinese people would at least attempt to >>SMILE<<

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ok, yes, i know, its their upbringing, bla bla bla....

I look at Tribal people who have been segregated all their lives in the jungles and guess what....they smile!! They actually laugh!!!

Why is it that its so painfully hard for say, Chinese people (not picking on them, i love their food) to smile?
Do they lack the face muscles to do so?
Is it disrespectful?

Ok, when in America, do what Americans do. And Americans smile (for the most part) without any strain. So does every other nationality in the world!!!

What's up with the non-smilers???

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

What's up with the non-smilers???

I think they need to be tickled....don't you?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I've never been alone with a China man long enough to tickle them...somehow i dont think it would work.

I thuoght i'd post this because it really really bothers me for some unknown reason!

You'd think they'd smile if you ordered $200.00 worth of food, right?

WRONG!!!

Maybe they're just plain miserable!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You probably have to say Ne how ma ( how are you) to get a grin out of them. I have never really noticed they don't smile.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Never noticed?

You need glasses, hon, because you'd be hard pressed to find a smiling Chinese person anywhere in the world!

Even the DISRESPECTFUL ones dont smile!!! Holy cow!

Try a joke on them and see! Smile first and they look down.

Now, Japanese smile, Asians smile, its just confined to the Chinese.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Ok, yes, i know, its their upbringing, bla bla bla....

ha, i would actually say it's ignorance with a dash of racism.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
In the 90's I dated a China doll and all I can say is, you need to get closer,
gwhint

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think you've made a general statement that doesn't apply to all of them.
The Chinese may be under an oppressive Commie government that gives them little reason to smile most of the time, but the Chinese immigrants I know in Canada are very jovial.

I've known a few to have a very quick wit and natural jovial attitude, but I've also known some that fake a smile and faun on you to gain favor.
I hate the bogus smile......

If this isn't genuine, what is ???

But you may also have a point.

According to a recent online survey by Extrawhite, a maker of chewing gum, a quarter of the people in China never smile or smile less than five times a day. The survey found that only 2 per cent of Chinese people are willing to smile at strangers.

www.chinadaily.com.cn...

[edit on 8/1/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well, we have the bucks, that pay for the Chinese food, that keeps them in business!
You'd think they'd swallow their racism and give a nod of approval once in awhile.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Betcha she's not here. She's in China and she's probably drunk.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gwhint

I'd rather get the smile BEFORE i slept with one of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
oh I don't know about this...

My Daughter is in China right now and having a wonderful time. My Girl is very tall and so she stands out. She is staying in Macaw for 5 days.

She only said to me she felt awkward because everyone stares at her there, some thought she might be famous
But for most part she says the people are very private and respectful, quite shy in comparison to the Australian culture.

Either way, she is staying with her Boyfriends Granny who is very traditional and at first because she is Australian, the family thought it may upset the Granny. Well, the Granny has opened her heart and home to my Daughter and they are having a great time.

I know a lot of Chinese people and they are happy and 'certainry' not racist to me. My Chinese Medicine Man is 'hirarious'...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Ok..that makes me smile just looking at the picture. I'd say that's genuine
God love her

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Ok..that makes me smile just looking at the picture. I'd say that's genuine
God love her
My gosh! It looks like the few teeth she has left grew inward. She does seem genuinely happy tho.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My family doctor is an elderly Chinese man and he always has a friendly smile on his face when he greets me. He mixes western medicine with old fashion Chinese medicine (common sense) that seems to work for his patients.

His kind smile is one of the things that make you feel comfortable when he asks you to drop your pants turn your head and cough.
The guys know what I'm talking about......

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Hey dgtempe go for the smile first, then think about it, cheers, gwhint

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I see Chinese people smiling all the time. Maybe they don't like Cape Cod?

My favourite 'funny old Chinese man' moment was at a restaurant. I was wearing a cheongsam (traditional Chinese dress) and the waiter laughed and said 'Chinese girls want to dress western and western girls are dressing Chinese. The world is going upside down'.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ok, maybe they do hate Cape Cod.

Maybe Massachusetts in general, because when i cross the bridge its the same.

tsk tsk.

Now mind, you, i'm not making fun of these very hospitable good cooks, i'm just wondering what it takes for a Chinese person to smile.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

well there's the problem right there! How many people in general smile in a place so cold all of the time?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Chinese/Japanese culture tends to downplay personal emotion in the public setting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join