It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
OSLO, Norway, Jan. 8 (UPI) -- The Kurdish author of "Sex, Sharia and Women in the History of Islam," who lives in Norway, was sentenced in absentia in Iraq to prison for blasphemy.A court in Halabja sentenced Mariwan Halabjaee to six months behind bars for claiming in his book the prophet Mohammed had 19 wives, married a 9-year-old when he was 54 and committed murder and rape, Aftenposten said Tuesday.
Originally posted by palehorse23
why is this guy being sentenced when he isn't even in Iraq?
Examples of people convicted in absentia include:
* Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, sentenced to death in absentia in Jordan
* Cesare Battisti, former member of an Italian militant group
* Krim Belkacem, Algerian Berber fighter and politician
* Martin Bormann, former Nazi Deputy Führer, sentenced to death at the Nuremberg war crimes trials.
* Ahmed Chalabi, convicted in Jordan for bank fraud
* Ira Einhorn, who challenged his conviction in absentia in Pennsylvania
* Jamal Jafaar Mohammed, sentenced to death by Kuwaiti court for the 1983 bombings of the U.S. and French embassies. Now he is a member of Iraq's parliament as a member of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's Dawa Party.
* Andrew Luster, convicted of date rape after fleeing mid-trial
* Filiberto Ojeda Ríos, convicted in the US after fleeing
* Bernardo Provenzano, Sicilian Mafia boss convicted of numerous murders during his 42-years as a fugitive
* Sade (singer), sentenced in absentia to jailtime in Jamaica for reckless driving
* Michael Townley, DINA agent, has been convicted in 1993 by an Italian court in carrying out the 1975 Rome murder attempt on Bernardo Leighton.
* Shalom Weiss, sentenced to the longest federal prison term in United States history for fraud, money laundering and other crimes