It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author sentenced to jail for blasphemy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Author sentenced to jail for blasphemy

www.upi.com

OSLO, Norway, Jan. 8 (UPI) -- The Kurdish author of "Sex, Sharia and Women in the History of Islam," who lives in Norway, was sentenced in absentia in Iraq to prison for blasphemy.A court in Halabja sentenced Mariwan Halabjaee to six months behind bars for claiming in his book the prophet Mohammed had 19 wives, married a 9-year-old when he was 54 and committed murder and rape, Aftenposten said Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This proves the point of how crazy and fanatic religion is. I know things are different in foreign lands when it comes to free speech, but I guess there is no freedom of religion either. I can't believe how crazy people can be when it comes to believing in a religion. And why is this guy being sentenced when he isn't even in Iraq? Am I missing something? Six months seems a bit harsh IMO. Hell, any amount of time for this is too much IMO. Good thing it isn't like this in the States.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
why is this guy being sentenced when he isn't even in Iraq?

it's their way of saying, don't come back. It's a slap in the face to us though, since we are technically supposed to be all up in Iraq...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I agree with you there. We are supposed to be instilling this great democracy and new freedoms for the Iraqi people. I see that seems to be working very well. You don't even live there and they can still sentence you to prison. What a joke!!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
People are convicted in absentia, as it is known, all over the world, including the USA.

It's not as if they just held court one day and decided to punish him with no notice. He would have been aware of this trial taking place, which is very probably why he is in Norway and not still in Iraq.

Here is some other cases from around the world (with some familiar names, can you spot them?):

Examples of people convicted in absentia include:

* Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, sentenced to death in absentia in Jordan
* Cesare Battisti, former member of an Italian militant group
* Krim Belkacem, Algerian Berber fighter and politician
* Martin Bormann, former Nazi Deputy Führer, sentenced to death at the Nuremberg war crimes trials.
* Ahmed Chalabi, convicted in Jordan for bank fraud
* Ira Einhorn, who challenged his conviction in absentia in Pennsylvania
* Jamal Jafaar Mohammed, sentenced to death by Kuwaiti court for the 1983 bombings of the U.S. and French embassies. Now he is a member of Iraq's parliament as a member of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's Dawa Party.
* Andrew Luster, convicted of date rape after fleeing mid-trial
* Filiberto Ojeda Ríos, convicted in the US after fleeing
* Bernardo Provenzano, Sicilian Mafia boss convicted of numerous murders during his 42-years as a fugitive
* Sade (singer), sentenced in absentia to jailtime in Jamaica for reckless driving
* Michael Townley, DINA agent, has been convicted in 1993 by an Italian court in carrying out the 1975 Rome murder attempt on Bernardo Leighton.[1]
* Shalom Weiss, sentenced to the longest federal prison term in United States history for fraud, money laundering and other crimes

Source

[edit on 8/1/08 by stumason]

new topics

top topics

join