It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret, The Law Of Attraction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
i learned something phenomenal recently, and everyone on this planet should know about it. its the Secret. this secret, is the law of attraction. u can have, do, or be anything u want (no matter how big or small) if u know about it and apply it.
and u dont have to worry about how its going to happen.
here are some sites to check.
www.thesecret.tv
there is even a trailer there (free), on the left side, just under the home tab. u can also veiw the entire movie itself online, but you have to pay a little money

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b1GKGWJbE8
heres the first 20 minutes of it on youtube

i would like to know what people think of this.
i didnt of any other place better than this to post. but it does have science in the movie(engery, quantum physics etc). if theres a better place, please let me know

[edit on 8-1-2008 by azdude1804]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
first ive heard of the law of attraction. though if you research some of my old posts im a firm belevier in thoughts manifest themselfs. its real ive had too many experinces for it to be wrong..

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Programs like these are full of 'quantum physics' claims, where the power of the mind over circumstance is over-exaggerated. People are encouraged to 'create wealth and happiness' (termed "What you want") through 'positive thought'.

Through past experience, I learned that Money doesn't come from nothing. In the same way, the circumstances that surround each of us are a result of the actions and decisions of those around us. What sort of world would it be, where everyone focused on self-gain, and personal satisfaction?

There is only one secret being kept here. The unprecedented success boasted by these people did not come about through positive thought, but through exploitation, as I said before. It is why they earn money off your curiosity, while you try to implement what they teach you. They are essentially selling a positive outlook on life, and doing so very well.

Positive thought allows an individual to persevere in hard times. 'Negative' thought can (but doesn't always) cause an individual to 'give up', or anticipate constant unpleasantness. In both cases, the assumed perspective is merely a point of view: it doesn't change what the individual encounters; it simply causes them to interpret the world differently. Apply this to any other philosophy or religion, and the same holds true.

It is my opinion that "The Secret" is a fraud -- but no more or less than the numerous other programs like it. It may quote Quantum Physics (like the movie "What the Bleep do we know?), but in a very specific context that can be misleading. I would advise caution on the part of everyone who considers investing in this program. Do some research before any money changes hands: what is 'learned' there can just be easily learned for free.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
First, I do not think the science forum is really the best place for this. Paranormal is more appropriate.

Second, I have seen, and experienced for myself, many cases where such a view has quickly led to a wake up call of what reality really is. If you simply ignore potential problems, and simply wish and pretend that everything will be alright, as the secret seems to suggest, then you are only setting yourself up for tragedy.

Further, as I have seen from some of those who believe in the secret, it removes personal responsibility from the equation, instead of working hard for something, your suppose to just imagine it. This outlook, as I have also seen, sometimes leads to a blame the victim mentality, where its your fault something bad happened, you brought them upon yourself by your thoughts.

There is nothing wrong with having a positive outlook and imagining success, it helps your self confidence and makes you feel better. But you also need to be aware of reality. If you want something, work for it, if you want to avoid something, prepare yourself for it. Positive thoughts will only get you so far.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Jackdaw
There is only one secret being kept here. The unprecedented success boasted by these people did not come about through positive thought, but through exploitation, as I said before. It is why they earn money off your curiosity, while you try to implement what they teach you. They are essentially selling a positive outlook on life, and doing so very well.

Amen. I've lost motivation to debate the secret as much as I used to, but I find it on the same level as the tv evangelists that sell holy water that makes you win the lottery.

It's a shame to exploit naive people's hopes and ignorance. It's even more shameful to distort and bastardize concepts like the Law of Attraction, and Quantum Physics. I'm not going to sit here and claim I under stand Q.Physics, but I can tell you one thing - it sure as hell isn't something you can actively apply in your daily life through positive thinking,

Further, as I have seen from some of those who believe in the secret, it removes personal responsibility from the equation, instead of working hard for something, your suppose to just imagine it.

yep, and on the same exact token, it implies that people who are not doing so well are at fault for being negative. I mean, what about all those people starving in Ethiopia, and dying in Sudan? If only they would start thinking positively!

It's not funny, but I laugh when in shock.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It's not a fraud. It's just not complete and left tons of info that are really important. Especially the fact that action has to be taken to get what is desired (after being on a level to be able to accept it though). The visualization and the gratitude (which is the most powerful and important feeling you can ever have) is what brings things into motion in your direction, but action has to be taken on your part to receive it. Smart, inspired action.

They also don't explain that there are limiting beliefs and emotional blocks that sabotage people from getting what they want, and nothing about how to clear those limiting beliefs and blocks.

A big misconception as well is that people think with just positive thoughts they can change their reality. It's not positive thoughts, but positive feelings that change it.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
here is the secret, wishing does not make it so. Having a goal and getting off your backside to work towards it does, not being scared if you fail and picking yourself up if you do is the secret to success. The fear of failure and rejection prevents you from having what you want, not the actual failure and rejection but the fear of it, the life you have is a reflection of yourself, to change your life you need to change yourself and dont let fear be the reason you live with regret.

dont buy tony robbins or the secret or all that guff ive basically rehashed it above and thats all they say but in a thousand different ways on 20 different CDS all designed to make the authors dreams become reality. The truth is you will either hit a point in your life where enough is enough and you will make fundamental changes or you will accept your lot and carry on with it, the fortunate people are those who have always known what they wanted to do and especially those who can make a living from it

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

eh... i would classify that under the new-age-pseudo-science fraud category. The thing is, they are making money off this. It's not just some concept, but a product. That means fraud. Of course, not in the legal sense, but in the human sense.

I mean, add some logic, and there's no more secret. You have to focus on things you want, yes. But it takes more than just focus.. as you said, it takes action.

So yes, if I want a new car, I have to first think about the new car before I get it. If I want a new job / house / dog / girlfriend, you usually have to think about it first to even be in the right state of mind to accept such a thing if it came across your path, or if you went out seeking it.

Where is the secret? Where's all the quantum physics and science? the fact is, they just try to explain science to people that don't understand it. It's the same concept as power of false authority creating blind followers.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
No, I would classify it under reality creation becoming more mainstream. You can find the information everywhere, but these people took the effort to bring it (or at least parts of it) out in the mainstream. It's utterly ridiculous to think that they shouldn't get paid for it. It's a service, a package of information (an incomplete one at best) that they're offering and got into the mainstream with an ingenious marketing campaign. I can respect that. And I can respect the fact that they've gotten millions to think on subjects that ancient cultures and thousands of books have brought forward for decades (the books) or thousands of years (the cultures).

And since they've allowed it to be run freely on the net, why should it be a fraud? (even in the human sense).

We act as if we able to judge what is a fraud and what is not based on our version of reality (our beliefs) which have never been full accurate up to now. Not mine, not yours, not the creators of that movie, not the scientists (though they usually have a better understanding than most), not the skeptics, not anyone else.

There's a great quote from the book: Mind Lines: Lines For Changing Minds by Michael Hall and Bobby Bodenhamer that I've found today:

Because most of us become too easily entrenched and enmeshed in our maps, we seem to easily forget that our perspectives, beliefs, understandings, "drives," etc. are just maps. We forget that and begin to think and feel that they are real. Yet our ideas and beliefs are only maps of reality, and not reality. When we forget, we confuse belief maps and territory. Korzybski described this process as identifying. We identify our maps (thoughts, beliefs, decisions, etc.) with reality. Yet there's a difference between our maps about the territory, and the territory. And our maps are always inherently fallible and limited constructions. They are always defective and always liable to error.

I just found out about the book today, and it piqued my interested:

www.amazon.com...

www.masteringstuttering.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
we can agree to disagree then.

I think it's fraud because they are dumbing down actual concepts, and then selling these dumbed down versions to people, ruining their chances of understanding the real concepts of Law of Attraction, and for all the really smart people (I'm not in the club), quantum theory.

Like I said, it's the same as tv evangelism and selling "prayer rugs" and "miracle holy water." Perhaps fraud is more of a hyperbole, but it's certainly exploitation.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Now I agree with you 100%.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

just to clarify, are you agreeing with the first sentence, or the rest of my post?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Uhm.. the rest of the post...

XL5

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have an example of this. It did freak me out as it was very unexpected. Last summer, I was doing alot of grinding on my grinding wheel, my crappy welds needed to be grinded off. I decided not to get one after looking at the prices of these 5-6" fine grinding wheels at a bunch of places, $16-20. Then for the first time in 12-14 years of biking around the back of tool/machine shops trash areas, I found an oil soaked grinding wheel. All I needed to do was to slowly bake the oil out.

I find you have to forget about it for it to work. It also doesn't happen if you have anger that it probably won't happen or if you give up on it. You have to let it fade into the "if it happens, great" back of your mind spot. You do need to put yourself in a situation where it can happen within reason.

Yeah, sometimes its hard work that gains you what you want, sometimes its very odd luck. I have had that odd luck one too many times to think that everything is all cut and dry.

Its like when little kids keep bugging thier parents for something. When they stop and try to get it them selves...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

so just to clarify, do you think that this law of attraction actually manifested a physical object, drew you to it, or just merely opened your eyes to one that you might have missed normally (or a combination of those)?

I would lean more towards #3.

XL5

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I don't think I was just looking for it and then found it for that reason. I think its more like 40% "something" made the guy spill light machine oil on it, 10% I was looking for it and 50% that "something" made the timing right. However, a part of me thinks that it could have been that the oil spilled its self or came out of the place the missing sock goes and the rest is timing.

I don't really think it just poofed into exsistance. Though I've had a copper disk from a high current relay spring out when I took it appart, then it "poofed" into some sort of void. I looked EVERYWHERE for it, even places it could not have landed or rolled to!

I have had other things like that happen and it seems to be linked to aiming in some video games. You will get perfect shots when they 1. "feel" right to you and not when you "know" they are right 2. it doesn't stress you that your aim "might" be off 3. after you had a break from the game. Then you feel it shouldn't be possible or that its going to end and then it ends.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
other things like that happen and it seems to be linked to aiming in some video games. You will get perfect shots when they 1. "feel" right to you and not when you "know" they are right 2. it doesn't stress you that your aim "might" be off 3. after you had a break from the game. Then you feel it shouldn't be possible or that its going to end and then it ends.

forgive me for not accepting this as a serious example.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

forgive me for not accepting this as a serious example.

What you don't like fun games?

XL5

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Ok, maybe its not real life when playing video games, but it still seems to fit for me. The reason it fits for me is that you would figure that more concentration is a good thing for aim, when in alot of games, its not. It defies logic.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

or, perhaps the game coders have an algorithm that compensates for bad aim and starts providing easier shots. there are many possibilities, jumping at the law of attraction every chance you get is a perfect example of why this theory is such an abomination of the real law of attraction.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join