It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Releases Video of Iranian Boats Confronting US Warships

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Pentagon Releases Video of Iranian Boats Confronting US Warships

www.breitbart.tv

"The reason the Pentagon was so concerned by this video is because it shows these boats from the Iranians, not just driving straight at these three ships, but also going around them, circling them, and maneuvering, in the Pentagon's words, very aggressively."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
apnews.myway.com
apnews.myway.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. military reports "significant confrontation" between 5 Iranian vessels...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I know this is being discussed in a different thread so if it needs to be moved please do so. But, here is the actual video of the ordeal. Good thing we have this on video, so it is more difficult for Iran to deny any involvement.

www.breitbart.tv
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow.

Getting this out that quick, who would have thought it? I thought 5 years was how long it took the DoD to clear a clip of terrorist nature. Why also is there no frames missing from this one?

[/sarcasm]

I think it's funny how pathetic it looks threatening to fire a phalanx from a warship at some speedboats larking around in the sea. Reminds me of the flight of the bumblebee's scene from Apocalypse Now.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It didn't look very threathening to me, they kept their distance and it looks accidental to me. I mean, you know you are gonna get blown to pieces if you come to close to an American warship.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
5 speedboats versus 3 destroyers..

I'm missing the bit where it's deemed appropriate to consider using this:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Oh no not speed boats! The boats were recreational that were not out fitted with Weapons. Further more the boats had no Iranian markings on them. I hardly call this a threat, but more of a tuant. I saw no proof in the video that these were Iranian or a threat to the US.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
We do have to keep in mind that, if such a speedboat is packed with TNT, and it comes close, it could sink a ship. They would have to come very close though.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

True, but probably close enough to spot the TNT as well.

It's not really the typical suicide bombing mission we read about; crowded area's, unmarked fanatic slipping into a highly populated area, time to move into position unnoticed, etc.

Think of the implications of such an act too - not to say that it wouldn't happen, but if anyone decided to do this it would pretty much be the start of war, and not with support for Iran. China and Russia would have a hard time defending that one.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
However, you are all forgetting something.

US Destroyers are more than a good distance from Iranian coastline. Those speed boats can't travel THAT far without a ton of fuel. Thus they either had a lot of fuel, or were launched from another larger vessel.

If they were not trying to provoke the Destroyers, then they would of turn and left at the first hailing.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Accidental? How does one accidentally charge at a cruiser and two destroyers?

Maybe they just didn't see them in the middle of the open ocean. Maybe they accidentally misstaked the US warships has privately owned ships and they thought they would impress the girls sitting on the sundeck by showing off their impressive boating skills.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Osyris

Oh no not speed boats! The boats were recreational that were not out fitted with Weapons. Further more the boats had no Iranian markings on them. I hardly call this a threat, but more of a tuant. I saw no proof in the video that these were Iranian or a threat to the US.

The Iranian government admitted that the boats were theirs. The boats don't look any smaller or less of a threat than the one that killed 19 sailors on the USS Cole.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
To me it looked like some people out cruising their off-shore power boats. Maybe our navy should not get so close to the coast line if they are worried about getting into a conflict with Iranian speed boats. Holy cow.

What would happen BTW if there were Iranian Destroyers off the coast of Texas?

Hmmmmm. Let me think, but I'm fairly sure they would be at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico in short order.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I believe that the percieved threat came from an Iranian radio transmission stating; "I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes."

While the way the boats were moving around the US ships on its own isn't really threatening, it is threatening when coupled with the transmission. If you were captaining a ship and you were told you would be blown up what would you do?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Pentagon Releases Video of Iranian Boats Confronting US Warships? What about the 9/11 videos that hit the pentagon building?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

(sarcasm)
But the Iranians never actually said that they were going to blow up the American ships. They just said that they would sink them. That's a completely different message. The interpreters got it wrong.
(end sarcasm)

Seriously though- after the USS Cole attack, no naval commander worth their salt, is gonna let anyone remotely threatening near their ship. For those who think little boats aren't credible threats, here are a few pictures of what little boats can do.

www.fas.org...

www.fas.org...

www.cargolaw.com...

www.cargolaw.com...

[edit on 8-1-2008 by BlueRaja]

[edit on 8-1-2008 by BlueRaja]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Its funny how some people will deny deny deny no matter what they see or hear.

I guess the USS Cole incident has been forgotten by many here. Or that iran has acknowledged that the boats were theirs.

But hey why let facts get in the way of good ole fashioned anti-americanism hate?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

"that officials believe came from Iranian boats"

Well, even with this comment it's overkill. As a destroyer Captain your ship safety is paramount - you'd monitor the boats definitely, but keep in mind the world is watching Iran intensly, and remind yourself of the idiocy if an Iranian boat were to suicide bomb such a great vessel, unprovoked.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by adjay

Well, Thats made me think a little.

I think, I honestly think here... that BOTH sides tried there hardest to get the other side to instigate the war.

think about this...

Iran sent speedboats screaming towards US Warships, that were in international waters... with a vague message mentioning the words '' you will blow up ''

This was an OBVIOUS attempt on Irans part, trying to force the US to fire first, believing the threat to be credible.... Then, when the US sinks an Iranian vessal, it can claim an unprovoked attack, and the wrold will condemn the US, simply because of its Past with Iraq..

But, Iran didnt fathom that

At the same time, the US was probably sitting back WANTING them to hit them.

think about this.

9/11 plays to mind here.

If we are so desperatley seeking an entrace valley into military operations with Iran, we lower our weapons, and LET them strike 1 vessal.
Its gulf of tonkin, but... its actually REAL

Both sides predicted the other would come good on the threat, and neither did, they cancelled each other out

The US wanted Iran to use a suicide boat, thats why they didnt shoot them
and Iran wanted the US to fire on them.... thats why they didnt blow up

Thats it...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Actually the only people that should be in the waters of the Persian gulf should be the indigenous population of the area, you know, Iranians, Kuwaitis, Arabs . . . Any other Warships are actually the provocateurs.

I haven't seen any Iranian warships in US coastal areas lately.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
No naval commander(or ship's crew) is gonna sit by and intentionally let his/their ship get attacked.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join