It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Clark Drops Out of Presidential Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Retired Army General Wesley Clark took to the stage in Tennesse tonight shortly after coming in third in the state for the Democratic nominee, as well as a distant third in Virginia, seemingly to announce his continuance in the race...only later changing his mind.

AP.org

Campaign insiders say the novice politician with four-star military credentials, decided to abandon his presidential bid after some additional family consultation following the earlier upbeat rally. Clark will return to Little Rock, Ark., on Wednesday to officially announce his departure from the race, said a senior adviser, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The former NATO Commander was introduced by his wife Gert at the earlier reception, who just last week is reported to have convinced Clark to stay in the race after his narrow margin victory in Oklahoma. ATSNN had speculated earlier tonight on Clark's intentions given his cancellation of a Houston fundraiser previously scheduled for tomorrow.

Related ATSNN Links:
Kerry Wins Big in South; Clark Questionable

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
why did Clark not recieve the support of the voters?

We can blame Dean's downfall on his rantings and screamings...but why did Clark lose or not gain any support. I am not familiar with his issues.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I believe WW that he was a product built up by the media to counter Dean. When Dean was still deemed unstoppable is when Clark entered the race and the media falsely annointed him the frontrunner to be (once he stopped Dean). Of course, Dean taking effectively himself out of contention made Clark kind of superfolous.

Clark's issues had issues anyway. He misspoke, double spoke and had some basic issue problems being the new Democrat that he was... like abortion and taxes. He was super liberal, though not entirely convincing.

One issue that rendered him most likely unbelievable is his promise to eliminate all taxes for those earning less than $50k. Yea, right. I'm surprised he got as much support from actual voters as he did. His "support" was largely a media balloon. Dean was similar, though had more grassroots support.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Rant, I have to disagree. Clark was an opportunist and I think the people were on to him and didn't trust him. Hell, he WAS a republican. Now, on Dean, the media did him in. He really didn't do it himself. As the frointrunner, they tore into him like never beofre b/c he wasn't the establishment choice.

On the other hand, Kerry is now the frontrunner and there is nowhere near as viscious of reporting on him as wason Dean. It was the media that did it to Dean---not Dean.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Colonel]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
No the reason that Kerry is cleaning up is very simple; he has the acceptance of the 'man' and he is seen as someone that can beat Bush. All those democratic supporters want government jobs and contracts.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
No the reason that Kerry is cleaning up is very simple; he has the acceptance of the 'man' and he is seen as someone that can beat Bush. All those democratic supporters want government jobs and contracts.

Huh?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
All those democratic supporters want government jobs and contracts.

Most of us would settle for the 2 million JOBS Bush lost back.

top topics

join