It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another case of contents stolen from ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Mikesingh gets ripped offf again!
darkheartrising.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
While preparing a post last night for the "Filipino Monkey" thread, I ran across this page with the song lyrics I wished to quote:

Soundclick | Depeche Mode | Blasphemous Rumours

Check it out, go there and try to select something to copy.

Weird, huh?

The entire page is locked down!

You can't select anything!

You can't even right-click a contextual menu on that page!

Anyone who wishes to quote, excerpt or blatantly steal any of that page's contents will have a much more difficult time of it.

We know that these ethically-challenged low-lifes who steal someone else's work, are just plain lazy jerks who can't be bothered to do the work themselves; it's easier to just glom onto someone else's "baby" and steal their content and call it their own.

This "locked" encoding would make it that much more difficult to easily steal someone else's intellectual property.

In examining the page source, and I'm far from competent in these regards, I noticed a command "function disableselect" and a "meta" that enabled the actual lyrics to be housed in a separate database, to make them unavailable even in the "page source."

May I humbly suggest that this "locked" encoding be considered and incorporated into our forums?

Is it even possible?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

please, no more _javascript in the code at ATS. seriously, if you want to copy the content, it's not hard - regardless of any script you try to implement.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

What's wrong with _javascript?

No, seriously?

I know it's not "hard" to "copy" content, if one is resourceful enough.

But it would make it harder.

I mean, after all, I was able to excerpt the quote I wanted, but I manually typed it out one character at a time...no small feat for an anal hunt and pecker such as myself...

Wait....that didn't come out right...oh well, you know what I mean.

But anyway, I did, and always do, credit my source.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Don't you all get it by now????? I know it is bothersome when someone else plagerizes your work but it will CONTINUE to happen over the Internet.

I have also been told that this statement added to any e-mail means squat!

****** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ******

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your system. Thank you.

Participating in some of the Holiday Avartar Competitions on BelowTopSecret.com also brought to my attention the plagerizing of many graphics used as entrys. Some of the entries were copies of famous works of art with "ATS" text added. Wow, very original and creative. I have since stopped entering those as it was a waste of time for original work created. It pissed me off too but what are you going to do about it, complain and look like a crybaby, or accept it and go forward with the knowledge that your work was original and forget about it. It's not like you're winning a Nobel Prize here.

I'd just be satisfied with my own work, ignore those plagerizing yours, use this forum as a way to voice your ideas and opinions, and find enjoyment in doing so. This obviously has caused you great unhappiness. Remember, the Internet is pretty much "game" to all it's users and if your one of those users be prepared to accept it's consequences. Some on ATS tend to take this site a little too seriously. Too much stress isn't healthy!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectTater
Mikesingh gets ripped offf again!
darkheartrising.wordpress.com...

Hi ST! Thanks for the find!
But it's OK this time as he's mentioned the author! And needless to say, I had copyrighted the images so my name figures in all its glory!!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by scientist
So now that some quality content is actually getting out there, those complaints must be silenced... but new ones pop up!

I have no idea what you mean by this.

It seems like having someone copy all the podcasts to their own server and host them would take a huge load off the server, while still getting the message out.

They were playing them in their own player, surround by mostly inappropriate ads from advertisers we'd never allow on ATS.

It just seems to counter-intuitive to what a forum is all about! It's about posting ideas, and occasionally convincing someone of your stance, or at least giving light to a new perspective that wasn't there before.

Indeed. But your stance exhibited in this thread with regard to content ethics is highly counter-intuitive to forums and your statement. No post or page of any thread on ATS exists on it's own in a vacuum. The context of the discussion is vitally important to an understanding of the topic... and that is what a social content community (forum) is all about. It's not about single posts, it's about the context. It's not about photos, it's about the discussion. Regardless of the appropriately defensible intellectual property issues, "giving light to a new perspective" is best-served by the entire context, which means linking to the source thread, or post within the thread.

Anyone who is truly concerned about sharing information, ideas, and a "new perspective" should be enthusiastic about linking to that information in its original context. We certainly are.

Anyone who is reluctant or refuses to link to content in its original context is displaying or otherwise stealing the content for selfish means... there is no other explanation such actions.

It seems the greater harm is in suppressing that information,

We've never attempted to suppress anything.

Oh wow.. We a have a conspiracy brewing here.. Who wants to debunk it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join