It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry Commercials? Any Masons Care to Comment?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
yes, but my point is, freemasonry isn't something you generate interest in....

It most certainly IS !

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Fitzgibbon

Yes, it does cheapen the experience, and I think tv commercials like this one are pouring salt in the wound.

It does beg the question that what suggestion would you make for broadening awareness of Masonry in this day and age where society collectively seems to be suffering from ADD? I mean, that particular commercial didn't cross the 'ask' line IMHO (though it was close) and it's sometimes difficult to be a Mason at all given the reception that some of the loudly misinformed give us. I might add that I have no issue that way and have a S&C decal on my trunk (might present a challenge when I trade it in; better run the sucker into the ground
) but I can understand the mindset of those Masons who are of a different personality type.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
If I'm mistaken, my apologies then. IMHO, to do something like that would cheapen the experience. BTW, which jurisdiction are you suggesting makes one a Master Mason over a weekend?

web.mit.edu...

Kind of sad, IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

but it DOES break the ask line. i think that the people in this organization would know that they wouldn't really find any valuable members through a television commercial. so it begs the question...why?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
what suggestion would you make for broadening awareness of Masonry in this day and age where society collectively seems to be suffering from ADD?

exactly! It's not like it was in some intellectual magazine, with a curious quote / riddle with a website explaining information. It's not like it was even done tastefully. It was cheesy, and hypocritical. It's like Bush Sr. telling you it's bad to deal drugs. Thanks for the advice, hypocrite.

Nothing against Ben Franklin, I bet the Hellfire club is fun. And no offense to any brothers or lodges, I'm against ignorance of that sort... which is why I'm against asking ignorant people to join in such a cheesy, ignorant fashion.

The most dedicated / honest / authentic brothers I know all came to the craft in their own ways, but nobody I know was solicited from a flashy magazine add, radio spot or TV commercial.

Originally posted by RWPBR

yes, but my point is, freemasonry isn't something you generate interest in....

It most certainly IS !

I stand corrected, and withdraw that statement, however it was taken a bit out of context. To clarify, freemasonry isn't something you generate interest in by using a blatant television commercial with a fake Ben Franklin impersonation acting on a moral highground.

I can only imagine, if that was the way to get more Masons, the lodges would be filled with older people complaining about the youth of today, and the decline of morals.... oh, wait...

Originally posted by Sacreligion

but it DOES break the ask line. i think that the people in this organization would know that they wouldn't really find any valuable members through a television commercial. so it begs the question...why?

just a really, really, really, really bad PR / Advertising decision. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted to serious, funny, nostalgic, or modern angle, so they went with all of them. Honestly, I'd probably be against any type of television commercial for membership. I could see a commercial that was just like Mason propaganda though, that wouldn't be so unreasonable.

"Last year, lodges in this state fed over X families on Thanksgiving, and gave out over X presents to children on Christmas. 2BE1ASK1. blah blah blah..."

I know, bad example... since the craft isn't really about that either, but better than what I just saw, ha.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join