It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freemasonry Commercials? Any Masons Care to Comment?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I've been seeing a lot of these lately, and my question is this: Why would a fraternity such as the Masons require a commercial to recruit members? Are they really dwindling that bad, or do they just need more people to pay dues?

Let me reiterate that I don't personally believe Freemasonry as a whole is involved in some large conspiracy, but am open to the fact that many high-ranking Masons in high-ranking societal positions may have ulterior motives with the power they've been given, as power is known to corrupt.

I've considered going down to a lodge and having an open discussion with some of the members, but feel that my questions could be answered by some of the Masons on this board. I'm not interested in becoming a member or anything, I'm just curious as to why they're seeking out members in such a flagrant way.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I'd also like to add that this thread took suspiciously long to post. Almost as if certain keywords are put through a screening process and read for content. Just sayin...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I think you will get more replies if you can find the video and post it. Otherwise, not much to comment on, unless someone else happened to have seen the same one you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
here's the link to the video:

www.youtube.com...

at the end it gives a link for askafreemason.org

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
heh, ben franklin talking about moral decline? What about the Hellfire club...

That is quite a ridiculous ad, and since Freemasonry isn't supposed to solicit membership, this is a cheap-shot. I mean, if you tell somebody that didn't say anything about freemasonry, to "ask!" about becoming a member.. isn't that soliciting?

Great, lets get a mob of people from tv commercials (I wonder when these spots are played... during what shows?) to join freemasonry.

This seems like a conspiracy to gain blind support, or dilute the current freemasons, or both.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
that's what i'm concerned about. why would they be so blatant about it?

i've seen this ad randomly, at all times of the day, on many different channels.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacreligion
I've been seeing a lot of these lately, and my question is this: Why would a fraternity such as the Masons require a commercial to recruit members? Are they really dwindling that bad, or do they just need more people to pay dues?

Why does anybody advertise anything? It's another way to generate awareness. With so many different organisations and activities competing for the time and mindspace of the average man, passively waiting for men who might be interested in joining Masonry to find it among the mental clutter of modern life is a ticket to certain oblivion over time. It's not enough to passively assume that enough potential members will find you through friends and acquaintances that are Masons; you have to put yourself where they are. Same applies for the online generation; that'll actually be easier in some regards as it's easier to focus where your message is going.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

that's what i'm concerned about. why would they be so blatant about it?

i've seen this ad randomly, at all times of the day, on many different channels.

It may not be an 'ad' per se but rather qualifies as a PSA (public service announcement). Ads are paid spots where the placing agency has input into what shows it will and will not show up in. PSAs? Whenever and wherever there's a time hole to fill that wasn't sold or that they aren't filling with a show promo of some kind.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
here's an older related thread you guys might want to check out:

Why are The Freemasons Recruiting on radio and TV?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(it's 15 pages long, so lots of comments.)

[edit on 8/1/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I would say that there is still the consensus among a rather large share of people that are unaware of how one attains membership in Freemasonry that you have to be chosen or asked by a member to join.Advertising would serve to alleviate that I assume.They started with those 2B1ASK1 (to be one ask one) stickers,pins, etc a while back to serve the same purpose, although I would think that you could find a more recognizable way to say or promote the same, personally I think that the use of "leetspeak/13375p34k" detracts a bit of class,but to each their own.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
That is quite a ridiculous ad, and since Freemasonry isn't supposed to solicit membership, this is a cheap-shot. I mean, if you tell somebody that didn't say anything about freemasonry, to "ask!" about becoming a member.. isn't that soliciting?

There's the rub though. He isn't telling anybody to ask, at least not directly as in saying 'join Masonry'. As I said earlier, creating awareness in this day and age is challenging in a way it hasn't ever been.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
yes, but my point is, freemasonry isn't something you generate interest in. The interesting thing about it, is that it's a group of people that all came to the organization in their own way, by their own motivation. Now it appears they will start sending in the couch potato masses to petition for memberships, most likely raising new "master masons" over a weekend by the dozen.

That's what I call quantity over quality. Anyone who takes moral advice from Ben Franklin, is the epitome of ignorance.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Some Grand Lodges apparently do solicit membership; in Indiana I know they made a pretty slick promotional video. Here in Kentucky, we don't do that... but to each his own.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by masonica_esoterica

The consensus is largely wrong...

You do not have to sponsored or be invited to join a Lodge, anywhere in the world...

You simply have to go to said Lodge, and indicate your preference to become a member, and the wheels are set in motion thus...

No big deal, no secrets, no drama...

Easy really...

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

yes, but my point is, freemasonry isn't something you generate interest in.

In an ideal world, no. You wouldn't have to. But we don't live in an ideal world anymore (if indeed we ever did) and men need to be reminded that there's more to life than work and their weekly ball/hockey/poker game, etc.

The interesting thing about it, is that it's a group of people that all came to the organization in their own way, by their own motivation.

I don't think that's really changing here, just that the medium of sparking an interest is one step removed from what it has been previously. Still and all, it's only an advertisement, a suggestion. Every guy that acts on this suggestion is going to have his own reasons for having done so. It isn't like Masons are offering a free plasma TV with every new initiation.

Now it appears they will start sending in the couch potato masses to petition for memberships, most likely raising new "master masons" over a weekend by the dozen.

Don't know much about Masonry, do you? Doesn't work that way. Many may petition but they all have to be investigated, reported on and then voted on. This takes time and the ones that are applying for the wrong reasons will be winnowed-out, either by report or impatience. Being raised to a Master Mason takes at least two months (if you're a quick study and the Lodge's trestle board isn't otherwise scheduled). Methinks you're confusing Craft Masonry with (IIRC) Scottish Rite as practiced in some jurisdictions in the States.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Both.

Personally, I think Masonic recruitment commercials are in extremely bad taste, and we do do that in my jurisdiction.

Let me reiterate that I don't personally believe Freemasonry as a whole is involved in some large conspiracy, but am open to the fact that many high-ranking Masons in high-ranking societal positions may have ulterior motives with the power they've been given, as power is known to corrupt.

In Masonry, leadership is both expected and respected. Anybody can become a "high ranking Mason" if he dedicates himself, which he is encouraged to do.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
Don't know much about Masonry, do you? Doesn't work that way.

oh really?
Glad you can speak for everyone. I'm confused now, because my personal experience is different from how you claim it really works.

Being raised to a Master Mason takes at least two months

incorrect.

Methinks you're confusing Craft Masonry with (IIRC) Scottish Rite

methinks you are confusing your own perceptions with the fact not everything works exactly the same as it does in your small corner of the globe. Mealsothinks that this "methinks" stuff is ridiculous. Where did it cone from anyways? I digress...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If I'm mistaken, my apologies then. IMHO, to do something like that would cheapen the experience. BTW, which jurisdiction are you suggesting makes one a Master Mason over a weekend?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

I'm not suggesting, I'm citing an observation. It was offered to me as well, but I declined. No apologies necessary, just don't be so quick to speak for 6 million people next time

Yes, it does cheapen the experience, and I think tv commercials like this one are pouring salt in the wound.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
BTW, which jurisdiction are you suggesting makes one a Master Mason over a weekend?

My district and two others had a one day class in December to help clear a back log of waiting members. It would appear that even with emergents our lodge will not have enough meetings to handle all the new candidates we are receiving.

P.S. The degrees took place at Corsigs lodge......... He looked good in his tinfoil fez.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join