It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did you decide to be religous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Just wondering to those out there who have faith when did you decide it was right for you.

I ask this because my belief is that no child should be brought up with religion because the will never form an opinion on it other then what they were taught. I could teach a child that females are worthless and they would believe it if it was all they knew. I think when we reach 15 we should be given information on religion and be allowed to make our own informed decision. If this happened I believe that atheists would vastly out number all religions.

Please reply to this thread and don't be scared of by my above paragraph I was simply getting it out into the open.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I made the decision when I was 7. My primary motivation was that I did not want to burn in hell at that time. Over the last 31 years though, I have realized the difference between the false teachings of the church and the teachings of truth. Both can be extrapolated from the bible, if one tries hard enough.

If you think something shouldn't be taught just because children are vulnerable then maybe you should just agree that we should just teach our kids to think for themselves and to test what they hear.

Just because you believe in a particular religion based on what other people tell you does not mean you cannot or will not change your opinion over time. I do not agree with the majority of the churches I have attended.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

I do see your point however I don't think many people could deny religion doesn't become more ingrained when taught at a young age this goes for all aspects of society making it harder for people to change. I also had beliefs for a time around the age of 7. I didn't actually believe in God though, I just didn't want bad things to happen so I prayed for good things. I was told about religion by a neighbour but have since decided I don't buy into any of it and the amount of prejudice I've seen doesn't present Christian ideals (I live in Australia so Christianity is the primary religion).

Thanks for your post and insight. Hoping for more.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
As far as Christianity is concerned, you don't decide to be a Christian. God choses you according to His mercies.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matt Kilby
Just wondering to those out there who have faith when did you decide it was right for you.

I didn't decide what was right for me. What was right for me was already decided.

When it pleased GOD to reveal his Son in me. He did.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Matt Kilby

I think children will at some point have a natural curiosity, 15 is pretty old to expose chidren to religion. They would get plenty of bad exposure from watching TV, of a lot of opinions from people who hate religion. And good luck trying to teach children respect and morals without telling them something about God.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by amitheone
As far as Christianity is concerned, you don't decide to be a Christian. God choses you according to His mercies.

So you're saying that God WANTS me, a semi-pagan agnostic, to burn in Hell?

I thought he was a loving God; if he chooses who to show his mercy to(and, by extension, who he doesn't show his mercy to), as you say, then how is he loving? Wouldn't that mean that those who are Christian are not so much "saved" as they are God's chosen, and that he wants everyone else to burn in Hell?

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Core90

He does not want you to. It is.. your choice in your own timeline to accept the truth of Christ. In the timeline of God, he knows beforehand wether you will or won't accept. If you are to never hear of Christ, I believe, someone faltered in their walk and failed to present him to you. A missionary who chose not to go on that trip etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I actually decided to not be religious after i was done with being forced to be religious by spending my life in Catholic School. I decided to treat everyone with respect, and never hurt a living thing. I basically do everything a good Catholic should do except go to Church. So i guess in a way I am religious, except without all that worshiping and stuff.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by amitheone

I don't agree with that statement. Knowing Father and Christ is open to everyone regardless of age, race, religion...doesn't matter. That's why the apostles were instructed to go out to deliver Christ's teachings to Jews and Gentiles alike.

In some instances however, Father does choose people to be in service to Him here on earth.

Originally posted by Core90
So you're saying that God WANTS me, a semi-pagan agnostic, to burn in Hell?

I thought he was a loving God; if he chooses who to show his mercy to(and, by extension, who he doesn't show his mercy to), as you say, then how is he loving? Wouldn't that mean that those who are Christian are not so much "saved" as they are God's chosen, and that he wants everyone else to burn in Hell?

Father IS Love and loves all His children and would like for them all to have the opportunity of Eternal life, however, because we are also given Free Will, ultimately the choice is up to us as to whether or not we accept Him and His son into our hearts, or not.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ami is right about God chooses who he wills.

The difference is that who will (accept) his graces to love him, he knows who will accept and reject his graces.

His grace drew me into loving him when I was about 20. People used to smoke around me, sleep with women who they didnt know, go out and commit violent acts, and I turned to innocent Jesus and searched for him by his grace, not mine.

Ill give you an example.

Tears are a grace, a movement of love from gods grace. he grants tears from the compassion in a soul and its unhardened heart.

some people cant cry, they are stones inside.

So the other day, I just started crying very bad about the souls on this website being lost, and I had alot of loving thoughts enter my mind.

Just out of nowhere, as if from a movement from God. The tears stopped and I truly God honost havent had a feeling since then nomatter how hard I try to produce a good thought.

its all God.

Now for me, I never grew up religious, I actually when Dad attempted to take us to church, called communion a potatoe chip.

Now how different my mindset is, without religion, to finding out Jesus and the trinity is implanted on our bodies.

Its all God.

peace.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I started casually reading my husband's study Bible. I remember thinking, "Blah. Blah. Blah. God this. God that. Nonsense." Then I started reading the study notes. It was like a person who had been blind all their life saw colors for the first time.

But it wasn't all the "feel goodness" that interested me. It was the facts. Instead of seeking God with my heart, I sought Him on an intellectual level. I wanted the evidence. I know that sounds stubborn but it is how my mind worked.

It was frustrating asking believers why they believed and the answers I received were something like, "Because I just feel His love all around me!" Sorry, but that didn't fly with me. I needed to know.

Finally someone introduced me to the study of Christian apologetics where I could examine actual evidence. This coupled with diligently reading my husband's study Bible to discover the underlying truth.

After approaching it on an intellectual level, then I sought God on an emotional level. I just didn't want to be deceived or misled, you know? If there really was a God, I didn't want to be the proverbial ostrich with my head in the sand but I didn't want to be a naive fool either. After I knew, then I was willing to trust. Sometimes I regret taking so long but I can't be grateful enough for Him opening my eyes.

It did turn out to be a good thing, though. Now when someone asks me HOW and WHY I believe, I don't tell them it's because I "just do." I tell them to pull up a chair and let's talk.

[edit on 1/11/2008 by AshleyD]

top topics

join