It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop hardrive and Ram

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I just bought a cheap laptop off eBay and have a few questions. First off how to I find out what sort of RAM I would need to upgrade it? And would any 2.5" Hard drive work?

Thanks in advance

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Any EIDE 2.5 Drive should work. As for memory, does the laptop have any brand name? www.kingston.com... has a great memory finder, and good prices.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
crucial.com also has a ram finder thing. if you don't find anything there, you can always pop the bottom ram cover off and look at the ram itself. it usually has a sticker indicating the speed.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks alot you two.
Just so this isn't a one line post its a dell

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Matt Kilby

What you need to do is, with the laptop off, turn the laptop over-ie, upside down-carfully.

On the bottom should be a model number like Dell M1074 or something similar.

Once you have this, google "add ram for (insert model number here)", I do this all the time and it works great.

You can even look at the sponsored adds, as they will be trying to sell you the proper ram.

That said, I personall reccommend a min of 1 gig for xp, 2 gigs to run good.
For vista I reccommend 2 gigs, 4 to run well.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
One thing you may want to check is, can you add more ram to your motherboard. I have a presario 2500 with 512 ram. I purchased a 1gig chip and it would not work. I upgraded my wifes more modern laptop with an extra 1 gig and all was ok.
some older laptops have the max ram that they can take already installed.

top topics

join