It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energizer "D" Battery Exposed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I can't believe people still use 'regular' batteries.
I dumped them years ago in favour of NiMh years ago.

Going through an average of 15 9v Batteries a weeks at £2 -£3 EACH??.
That would have been £18,000 in the last 7yrs..

I buy 4 new ones every year at about £8 each.. thats £32 x 7.. £224
..£18,000 or £224?????

Can anyone else see a difference in those figures?

Ok so I'm not counting electricity costs to charge
..but still..and imagine how much physical waste that saves too..

Just doing my part for the environment..and my pocket too.

It doesn't matter so much which brand now either. Radioshack's own/Energiser/Skoda ..anything..Just don't keep them in the back pocket or your brand new white pants.. ouch.!
:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
EEStor Technology; The end of batteries?

The advance is based on a barium-titanate insulator claimed to increase the specific energy of the unit far beyond that achievable with today’s ultracapacitor technology. It is claimed that this new advance allows for a specific energy of about 280 watts per kilogram -- more than double that of the most advanced lithium-ion technology and a whopping ten times that of lead-acid batteries. This could translate into an electric vehicle capable of traveling up to 500 miles on a five minute charge, compared with current battery technology which offers an average 50-100 mile range on an overnight charge. As if that weren’t enough, the company claims they will be able to mass-produce the units at a fraction the cost of traditional batteries.

Well, here's a new thing... a step in the right direction at least.
It's about time a new kind of power storage was created that everyone can use.
They say it will be really cheap too.. hmm..that makes me wonder.. It might be cheap at the moment, but as soon as it's available on the market and competition comes in then we'll see..

But overall it is good news.. let's hope they get it out there to buy pretty sharpish..

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500

In Denmark this is covered in 1st year physics class when children are 13. The US can't be that different!

Energizer just produces D batteries with several different MAh ratings, so that the consumer can buy the one that fits his need.

Well I'll have to disagree with you aaa2500, this is a very informative thread and I have learned a bit. Many of these types of batteries were not available when I was 13, besides I don't remember much from back then and we didn't have many portable electronic devices - so it wasn't important.

I don't know if you watch TV or have the same commercials available over there, but in the U.S. the Energizer Bunny is a Marketing Icon that is probably more famous than most living celebrities.

While they may list the capacity on the shelves, the listed capacity is never part of the commercials, yet the capacity being highest is what they insinuate.

The name has always meant - our product lasts longer than any competitor. They do not claim ONLY when you buy the high capacity models.

The SELLING POINT is that their PRODUCT last the LONGEST.

However they Put the SAME Energizer Label on Products that don't last the longest. It is a classic BAIT & SWITCH scheme because they sell a lower capacity product with the same Label.

They can legally get away with it because actual capacity is never mentioned only insinuated through disinformation and trickery. They are deliberately leaving out the capacity in order to propagate the LIE.

While it may just be a dirty little industry marketing secret, the fact is that 9 out of 10 consumers are probably not aware of it.

This thread is very informative and debunks the trickery and myths used to sell less capacity batteries as the same or better as higher capacity batteries.

Now I know what to look for and others do too.

Thanks, OP and all the rest who contributed.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You can buy plastic spacers so you can use AA batteries in place of a c or d battery which makes it much cheaper to use.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Haha, reminds me of the time when the first DVD recorders came on the market. What did they cost back then, 400-500 euro? Or many dollars, whatever. Anyway, we opened one up after it got defected quite rapidly and were amazed at what was actually inside the casing... Go ahead, open it and have a look if you still have it

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I work with rechargeable batteries in tools and they are nothing like these rechargeable sized batteries.

I also work with big commercial lead acid batteries. and they are nothing like the lead acid batteries used in cars.

Battery makers cheat the public in many ways that they would never try to cheat companies.

This is because there is no protection for the public and the battery companies can get away with anything.

The battery companies can not do this with big companies as the word would get out any no company would by there products.
They also would have to deal with the large number of company lawyers that these big companies have when selling them substandard products.

Any one checking the ampere hours on these batteries would have known that if a AA has 1200mAh and a D has 1200mAh that something is wrong. even without tearing the battery apart.
A D size should run at least 2500mAh

If the public keeps buying this junk these companies will keep selling this junk.
edit on 12-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If they made products that lasted......the products would be around, but the companies that made the product, would be out of business. Same thing goes with light bulbs. Of course, they could make a product that lasted a lifetime...but ANY good business, makes it's money on RETURN customers. Energizer would only have lasted a few years. What kind of 'business' would that be, for Energizer? A pretty short term business, if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Energizer is know for this.

What I used to do to save money on AA batteries, I would buy the Energizer big 6 volt lamp batteries. I would take them apart and pull out all the Energizer AA batteries inside. It's hit miss with this now Energizer only does to some 6 volts batteries now. I use another brand that is less expensive and last way longer than Energizer.

I only use AA batteries for Fluke meters. Some meters used to take 9 volts, now there all using AA. My old meters use 9 volts. The new ones use AA wonder why, Kick backs from the battery MFG's ?

edit on 13-11-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Some folks actually make "real" D cell batteries.

@ 12000mAh for $7.00 you cant go wrong...
www.batteryjunction.com...

<< 2  3  4   >>

join