It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energizer "D" Battery Exposed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Most rechargeables can't compare per charge to the life of a standard battery though. Obviously there are better products out there than the Energizer model, but I don't think there's anything malicious going on in having an inferior product(unless it's claiming to do something that simply isn't true).

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nola213
I've never bought rechargable since, AND THAT is probably the goal of this whole energizer D rechargable.

That's really strange. I use them all around the house with great success. I like 2500mah cells from Energizer. I used them in all sorts of things, from a powered screw driver to cameras to toddler toys. It's not too difficult to calculate that I am in fact saving money, and my original purchases of batteries and the charger paid for themselves.

For reasons I do not entirely understand, the 15-minute charge batteries from Rayovac work exceedingly well in my Sony digital camera. They seriously last forever. Too bad these were discontinued.

As to the topic itself -- I noticed a while ago that the larger rechargeable cells have very small capacity for their size, and I correctly assumed that they simply are larger shells for a AA battery. I was right. As a matter of fact, I did what somebody already suggested in this thread -- bought a set of size converters that upsize AAA to AA, AA to C and D etc. These are cheap and allow me to keep one format of battery in the house, the AA.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
Most rechargeables can't compare per charge to the life of a standard battery though.

I repsectfully disagree. I tried conventional batteries in my camera and they are worse when compared to either Rayovac or Energizer rechargeables.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I use rechargables on a constant basis, and yes, they have a bit lower voltage and don't last as long, but hey, I have a set 3 years old or so that still gives me 6 hrs on an mp3 player--about 1/2 what they gave in the first year. 3 years of not buying batteries every day.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I said most, not all. Also you have to take the application into account.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
this trick has been going on forever, things are designed to fail with short shelf life...
check out this great little video...

www.storyofstuff.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The dedicated Li-Ion rechargeables in high-end digital slr's are very good. Thousands of shots, and that's pulling in 21.1MP and running the data through two image processors. SLRs also have motors for the shutter, which compacts don't have.
Perhaps it's just that these batteries are designed for specific cameras.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
reply to post by buddhasystem

I said most, not all. Also you have to take the application into account.

Thanks for the note. I tried all sorts of application, from TV remotes (very low current) to a power screw driver (lots of torque and the current must be high).

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
The dedicated Li-Ion rechargeables in high-end digital slr's are very good. Thousands of shots, and that's pulling in 21.1MP and running the data through two image processors. SLRs also have motors for the shutter, which compacts don't have.
Perhaps it's just that these batteries are designed for specific cameras.

LiIon is great! I, however, specifically chose a Sony camera that still takes AAs -- just in case I don't have a charger -- because I can always pick up a regular AA battery in most places in the world and they will last me at least one memory card worth of images.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Heh, like opening a plump bag of potato chips only to realize that the bag was filled with mostly air. No surprise there. I myself have seen the insides of D batteries long ago during my experiments with batteries and fire (don't try it lol).

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thank you all for contributing to this thread.

I have been doing some more searches and found some further stuff of interest.

Firstly, it does appear that electrical goods manufacturers make their goods with one specific brand of battery in mind. For example, I noticed that Sony seem to have a partnership with Duracell. So is Sony, and the like, making their items to fit the battery, or are battery companies making batteries to fit the goods?

Either way, it is strange how different brand batteries have different lives in the same products.

In this particular test, Microsoft mouse battery test The conclusion is a bit misleading as it appears to be the components being tested for their use of batteries, rather than the actual testing of batteries as the test sheets header describes.

This test Which battery lasts the longest out of four different brands is a nice basic example and does have some surprising results. I also like their conclusion as they have mentioned a few factors that may have been contributory to the overall results and which must be taken into consideration in further tests.

This persons study on rechargeables is interesting as the following statement makes you wonder if rechargeables are worth the bother.
all Ni-MH batteries drop their voltage when first being used, then stay at a steady voltage for the remainder of their useful charge before the voltage drops again The use of a battery life indicator here appears to have made a great help in the outcome.

We have seen large and distinct advancements in electrical goods, yet very little change has occurred in the advancement of batteries and their lives.

Is it not possible that with new electrical chips and circuits that battery life can be xetended? Is it not possible that with the aid of our new electrical tools, we can find a way to improve batteries beyond their current abilities?

Batteries are deadly to us and the environment.

Health issues;

Battery poisoning is pretty harsh when you see the Symptoms.

Symptoms vary depending on what type of battery is ingested (acidic or alkaline).

Symptoms of acidic dry cell battery poisoning include:

* Decreased mental ability
* Irritation or burns in the mouth
* Muscle cramps
* Slurred speech
* Swelling of the lower legs, ankles, or feet
* Weakness
* Nervous system
* Spastic walk
* Spasticity
* Tremor

So just imagine what we are doing to our environment. With the sudden increase in taking used batteries to recycling bins, it does make me ask why are disposable batteries still being made when rechargeables are available?

The continued making of disposables ties in with Mr. Adams' theory on the scam that is being carried on by battery companies. Not only are some batteries wrapped in bigger packages, but the sale of all their old systems continues, and in no doubt, is being marketed deeply in what's commonly known as developing countries.

In places labeled as developing, the use of disposable batteries will be very high. The damage they do to the environment will be on par with what we have already done. the ability for these countries to recycle their used cells will be almost zero as the cost of the bins, collection and recycling will most probably far outweigh dumping it all in a land fill.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
As I recently stated in another thread the world is all about capitalism and greed.

A similar issue is car batteries and how the car companies deal with them. Today, we have high quality batteries capable of making an electric car going 300 miles per charge easy, even 500+ miles. With more research and more compact designs, that will go up even further, I dont see 1000 miles a charge as an issue. But noooo, they're pushing hybrid fuel instead: completely retarded!!!

At least this Energizer D doesnt have a major impact beyond comprehension on the enviroment by having a less than ideal design.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
this really doesn't surprise me at all. i also have found the rechargeable batteries do not last long, and now we know why. i know that most companies would definitely want people to buy the normal batteries getting better profits.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Extralien let us examine your theory that this is a conspiracy in the power cell market...

From what I understand all cells can produce 1.5 volts of power each the notible exception is the 9 volt battery which as it's name describes gives you 9 volts of power. The difference in size of each cell denotes the amount of power over the life of the cell that you can reasonably expect. A AAA cell does not have the same amount of potential power that a D cell does. They both however do produce the exact same amount of volts 1.5.

Next lets look at your conspiracy for a moment shall we?

In order for you to base your claim that we the American public are being ripped off you would have to understand the amount of money that is being ripped off from each of us.

According to you these packs of cells cost about $25 a pack of two. Ok, and each cell can be recharged about 1000 times. So let's do the math...

1000rc/$25 = $0.025 per charge...

So for the value of your charge are you getting a quality amount of serviceable life from these cells? How much charge do you think you should be getting for your .03c?

Is there a .03c cell out there that holds more charge? Do you even want to find a cell that costs .03c?

Sorry in my opinion you are getting a quality product for a fair price. The hole in the theory is that all cells carry with them a 1.5 volt. What is disturbing you is the packaging. To you they should be packaging a true D cell instead of plastic coating a AA cell. However the truth still stands that you get an adequate amount of charge for your .03c

So in my opinion this is not a conspiracy. It is a dislike for packaging of a product. Are Americans being ripped off by Energizer? No I am afraid not.

not to argue semantics here but the term "Cell" refers to a single unit. The term "Battery" refers to two or more "Cells" put together.

Thank you

radiodjguy

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
From the article

Want to buy an honest "D" battery? Check out Powerex. These are the best rechargeable batteries I could find. Click here to learn more. I liked them so much that I bought several hundred of them and decided to offer them through my company...

Question: Anyone ever try out these Powerex batteries before? The wife and I buy almost exclusively rechargeable batteries these days. More expensive at first, but worth it in the long run on a lot of levels. However, we've been buying the Energizer E2s. I'll be damned if I'm giving them another penny. Now the only question is, if the "most trusted" name in the business can't be trusted, who do you trust?

Someone recommend a good battery company? Or have a review of Powerex? I can't trust the word of the article writer since he's trying to sell them himself.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by radiodjguy

With all due respect, this is not my conspiracy theory.
I am merely pointing out someone elses efforts in showing his believed scam of the difference between an Energizer D battery and the AA

I presume you've checked the link to his original theory and observations.

And please don't think for one minute that I or Mr. Adams claims this to be focussed on the American market.

This is a global issue as batteries are sold world wide.

Please also take into consideration the information that "thebeard" posted here; www.abovetopsecret.com... Which you'll find in page 1 of this thread.

From my understanding of battery power (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) a 1.5V AA with 2500mAh will last as long as a 1.5V D with 2500mAh.

So why the difference in size is needed is a dispute seeing as you can buy jackets to resize the batteries of choice. Which brings us back to the "conspiracy" of energizer by packaging an AA in a D jacket and selling it as a D rather than its true form of an AA.

Please also don't forget to take into consideration your electricity bill for the actual recharging of all these batteries.

This is something else that needs to be considered seeing as we have mostly seen the comparison between disposable and recahrgeable prices, yet not taken into account our further cost of recharging any batteries.

If 1 battery takes approximately 30 minutes to charge, what is the electrical power usage to charge the battery.
Multiply that by however many batteries of the same size and storage capacity and, lets say the maximum charegable life of 1000 charges and you may find your electric bill might cost more than buying disposables.

Perhaps someone can be so kind to get some figures for that.

Thank you your thoughts though as it has opened up another lead for discussion and research.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

Many years ago, i used to use a battery made by Varta. From my experience it far outstripped any other leading brand of battery. I have no idea why but they just seemed to last forever.

Regarding powerex and the like, it is sometimes worth a try.
you can find some of them listed here
They also appear to have very reasonable price in comparison to others.

Although there are a few "customer reviews" here It does appear that powerex may have an edge. The claim that they are industrial batteries for the consumer market is also interesting when you consider that we, the public, are possibly being sold low quality batteries when everyone could be getting "industrial strength" power all the time.
This, again, is another possible way that these companies are maxing profits.

Here's an interesting sales point. First you get their side of the story, then they point out the true outpu of the batteries they say they tested.

The best of the best! Rated at a true 2700 mAh, these PowerEx batteries are some of the best rechargeable NiMH AA batteries on the market, & the absolute highest capacity AA batteries we've ever tested. Free storage case included. Made in Japan.

*New 5 Year Warranty by Maha*

Actual tested capacity*: 2653 mAh - 2723 mAh

www.photonlight.com...

And check the rest of this statement...
Because not all batteries are created equal due to variation in design, quality control and rating, even identically rated batteries could have as much as 40% variation in performance.

Very interesting sentence that. Variations of performance in identical ratings...hhmmm.

And this guy makes a very brave attempt of reviewing powerex, bless his little heart. Although he made no comparisons to other brands, he does seem to be really pleased with powerex.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by Extralien]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ok the guy has BARELY an idea on how electronic systems work. That little battery he said is not a battery in the traditional sense. It is a capacitor and that is why it can be recharged. True though that Duracell is trying to make a profit but cmon who isn't.

I think the entire article was just a marketing attempt. Did you see the conviently placed ad at the end. Oh yeah this company has 300% more lasting batteries. He could have just said that there are these such batteries not the comapny that manufactures them.

I think he was paid and most probably was. If you are so tired of using Duracell go out and buy another brand nobody's stopping you. It is like buying medicine. Most prescriptions have a generic and a brand name, they are the same EXACT thing. But one costs more than the other due to the Brand Name.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
heh, nice catch! Ironically, I have some plastic molds that fit over my rechargeable batteries to do just this! However, I bought the kit, for this exact purpose, so I wouldn't even have to buy D batteries.

I find it funny that "D" batteries are just what I've been doing forever anyways!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Rhombus, thank you for your interest, But Mr. Adams was talking about Energizer, not Duracell.

We've been using Duracell, powerex and other brands as a comparison as best we can here at the moment and others are inputting some very good points and info.

Yes, I have to agree with you, as myself and another poster said on the first page, that his attempt at getting some sales was a really bad move on his part.

I, for one, don't particularly like this kind of thing. But it happens with all forms of anything that can bought or sold.

you say that these are all the EXACT same thing, well according to the ink above your post (I'll repost it here so you don't miss it) These batteries are not the exact same thing, even though they are marketed that way, which is a scam in itself. The general public don't know this. Most have no idea that an Energizer D battery is nothing more than an AA in a big jacket.
Bringing this Jacketed AA to light is the point of this thread, yet it is also uncovering a lot of other things about batteries.

Anyway, here's the link again.
Because not all batteries are created equal due to variation in design, quality control and rating, even identically rated batteries could have as much as 40% variation in performance.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join